[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pyroscourge

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural

Post by Pyroscourge »

S.U.P.E.R Natural

Everybody has a story. Sometimes, these stories are part of a larger whole, a piece of history in the making. Sometimes, we even remember the people's names, and what they did. Perhaps these are the people who lived life to the fullest. Perhaps they will be the only ones who have maintained a purpose even after they are gone.

But regardless, everybody has a story, as simple as it may be. Inside each larger one there are countless smaller ones waiting to be told. Sometimes these stories have a bigger impact than anyone will know. But sometimes, just sometimes, regardless of what happens, a story will make no change.
Their story is not important. It is nothing at all.

Sometimes, our stories have no meaning.
And sometimes, our stories mean something to us, and us alone.

Sylvius Leonard left his home, with no story, and with no intention of making one.
So tell me again, how does his story go?

Okay, enough being weird and cryptic.

Welcome one and all to the most ridiculous thing I have ever done.
Inspired by the likes of TCotD:A and RTC-3057, S.U.P.E.R Natural is a free roam single hub, designed to be full of survival horror elements. Of course, shortly after attempting to make it, I realized that horror is completely impossible in doom, so I just focused on the survival part a bit more and attempted to rely on atmosphere and tension for the latter.

You are all going to hate me for this, but like most games of the same kind, you have no weapons. Your only way of survival is running and hiding, or maybe, if you're lucky, being a bit clever with your surrounding environments. The small number of enemies you face are (usually) randomly generated, and will attempt to kill you in just a few hits. Health is regenerating, as enemies are technically infinite too.

For the most important nitty-gritty detail, we have the hub. This is a single hub of a planned 20+ maps, all fully explorable in whatever order you feel. Some will be blocked unless certain events occur, and some will be denied if the path you take steers you away from it.

To define it further, S.U.P.E.R Natural has a story to it. While Winter's Fury revolved around being as much of an over-the-top action blockbuster as possible, this mod uses the story much differently, and hopefully more successfully. For those interested, this is set in the same universe as Winter's Fury, this part occurring a few months after the events of Doom 2.

What I should also mention is that since this mod is taking story to be a critical part of its gameplay, I have had to change a bunch from my original plan. To put it into perspective, the original was just as the Winter's Fury story was; This is happening so more explosions can occur, and weird stuff is happening so I can put in a void level. Over the development of S.U.P.E.R Natural I came up with some ideas I wanted to put into place, and you will see these new developments come together soon.

Anyway, like I halfheartedly indicated in the paragraphs of text at the start, I can't tell you any story from this mod. It's up to you to create your own story depending on what you do, where you go, and who you trust. What this means is that the mod has multiple endings, so three cheers for replay value. No, there is no ending which you could call 'THE BEST'. Each ending is not a recolour of the last. All endings are cannon. At best, some are just harder to achieve than others.

Also, one of your least favourite characters from Winter's Fury will be making a quite major guest appearance.

Now that I have all the interesting stuff out of the way, it's time for the things which you will want to punch me in the face for:

-It's not done yet. I wanted to release a mere demo today, but real life is hard.

-This mod is big. In this case, I am not talking about 20+ maps big, but I am talking about filesize. Fortunately UDMF format maps compress pretty well, but just be prepared that you will be downloading a 100MB+ file. This isn't because of ludicrous amounts of .mp3's or something silly, it's due to the sheer size of the UDMF format levels. Which of course leads me to what you have all been waiting for...

-Much like Winter's Fury, you need a pretty strong system to play this. I upgraded my system to an overclocked 16gb ram monster from my modest 2gb of ram that I ran Winter's Fury on, and I get 30-ish FPS in some areas. This isn't nearly as bad as getting framerate drop in something like Winter's Fury, because you aren't trying to dodge and circle strafe enemies 24/7. Regardless, lower level machines will not be able to run this mod very efficently, if at all. Sorry if that is the case. Unfortunately it is not a matter of turning off all special effects and watching the FPS soar to 60. The reason most maps lag is due to, once again, the sheer size of the levels.

So yeah, lag is great and all, but... Screenshots!1!!11!!11
Spoiler:
Now I did want to release a demo this Halloween, but like I said, the full mod has a long way to go and the demo isn't quite done yet, but I can promise a 'Soon™'.

For those who wonder, the demo will include the 'Introduction', which is a linear-ish segment in which you are forced in a certain direction through the hub, but you do have the ability to explore the areas you go to. There will be a few areas blocked off for the sake of maintaining this linear path. At the end of the introduction you hit the start of the actual game, where you can go anywhere and do anything. It's all up to you. For those who will want to play the mod multiple times, there will be the option to quick start. This takes you straight to the end of the introduction.

So now that I am done ruining what everyone thought of the mod, feel free to comment now that I have actually given you something substantial to comment on, other than brief conversations about places. If you ask questions, I might actually give proper answers!

Old posts:
Spoiler:
Ribo Zurai

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Now with actual information!

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Discordance

Post by Discordance »

^this.
I can't wait to play this. Amazing stuff Pyro
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Horror elements are not impossible. Look at how CutmanMike managed to do it with the Creeper Ghoul and the Yurei, from Ghoul's Forest III. If I recall correctly, these two foes scared people the most, for the most part. At least, these two did for me.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Major Cooke wrote:Horror elements are not impossible. Look at how CutmanMike managed to do it with the Creeper Ghoul and the Yurei, from Ghoul's Forest III. If I recall correctly, these two foes scared people the most, for the most part. At least, these two did for me.
The Creeper's scream/pop-up is actually funny to me.
The scariest (and most fun, IMO) part of fighting Ghouls is when you're backpedaling and shooting and you bump into a tree or something and it slows you down a bit so the Ghoul can gain on you and then you reach full speed again but now it's RIGHT THERE and you know one more screw-up and you're dead so you're all like "OH SHIT IT'S GONNA GET ME AAAAAAAAAAAA" D: lolrunonsentence
There's also the parts between ghouls, where you're wondering which one's coming next, and why it's taking so long to show up, and whether you should stay put (and potentially get caught from behind) or go looking for it (and potentially run right into it)

Yurei's a bit different since you can't really run away, but the same principle applies, only ramped up to 11; The horrible pictures and ear-shattering scream are unpleasant, of course, but they're not really scary like the accelerating heartbeat (the sound, but possibly also your own!) and the knowledge you can't run, you can't hide, and you have an incredibly short amount of time left to plant an arrow in this bitch's cold, black heart before she gets you. It demands your focus, which means that success is that much more of a relief, and defeat is that much more shocking. Of course, she's the final boss; For the lesser horrors, you want the relief to be only momentary, so the player stays on-edge; The immediate threat is gone, but you're (literally) not out of the woods yet. :twisted:

Basically what I'm saying is, the scariest part of horror is often the anticipation of the horrifying thing, rather than the horrifying thing itself. If you do it right, you can even do it without said horrifying thing in the first place. The longer you can stretch the anticipation without wearing it thin, the greater the payoff (whether relief or fright) once something actually happens. It's kind of like getting a needle at the doctor's office, except that's not supposed to be scary. :P
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

Heh, that needle analogy is pretty good :D Reminds me of when I was 13 very young and I had to have one of anti-tetanus+othershit injections, and I was dreading that pretty much the entire week.
Didn't even know she'd done it.
And I'd say horror is definitely do-able in Doom. At least by my definition of horror anyway. This project is very "horror," so is Ghoul's Forest, so is PSX Doom in some places. MAP22 of Doom 2 In Name Only was intended to be a horror-map, but it's up for debate how much horror was actually in that..
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

The difference between those things and this, though, is that you're defenseless here. So, you know, there's no relief in this until you actually finish the game. That's cool and all, but I prefer the roller coaster ride of relief and terror as opposed to a bullet train of horror, if you get my meaning.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Woah! Incredible!
Please hurry up in releasing the demo! :)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This Looks awesome; I can't wait to find out that my system can't run it!
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

So it's like SPAWN only good?

Please, have my children! Don't know how that's going to work, but please do!
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

scalliano wrote:Don't know how that's going to work, but please do!
what are you trying to implicate scall
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

I don't think you want to know.

Anyway, bottoms up for this! It's only a matter of time before the epic thrilling tail becomes a reality...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Download... now... please....! :D
Espilonarge

Post by Espilonarge »

I want to play this and yet I'm regretting the thought of just how much underwear I am so going to need to change...

Return to “Levels”