[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Released

Postby idGamer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

Well, I tried to play through on 3-4 year old laptop (foolish mistake), and eventually just gave up due to the bad framerate (not a criticism, I should of played it on a better system).

From my experience, I'm sorry to say it doesn't really do it for me. :|

Spoiler:

That being said, the architecture is still fantastic, and the weather effects add a great deal to the eerie feel of the game.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 am

No performance issues as such yet, although I am scared shitless so it's probably gonna take me a while to get through this. :V

No concerns minus my uncertainty on how bright/dark everything should look despite me fiddling about in the settings map for ages to get something that kinda sorta worked. >_<

Also I'm finding that font really hard to read. It's so tiny my god
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Ral22 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am

You may want to make some adjustments to the "death" script. When I was "killed" by the "Eyes on the Lake," the game over screen came up like usual and I hit space to restart, but instead I pressed against the walls of the little black room I was teleported to and heard the signature "Umf" sound. The same thing happened when I was killed by the "Ducks of the Lake". You may want to make it so that monster actually kills you (EDIT: After playing it a few more times, it may have been a one-time glitch, as they did actually kill me, but it may be worth looking into again), not just activates a script. Also, you should probably toggle the little update icons OFF when you are killed and remove the ability to check your journal as well. It was odd seeing the icons flicker and check my objectives despite my death.

EDIT: Those desperate to play and see the game, but can't stand the intense amounts of dark, use The Zombie Killer's Beam Flashlight. It works with Supernatural, but do keep in mind it was not meant for it and you are soiling the intended experience of the game.
Last edited by Ral22 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ral22
stoneshipMapper

Postby Mav3rick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Looks very solid, with a nice and decent ambient didnt play it too much but few things that i wanna suggest

In the early beginning of the map in the forest to be exactly, maybe add some "actions" to build tension? some lighting, some sounds or something else, because after some time running around and nothing happening make it annoying or boring (i know is a demo)

The military base can use something else too, like the forest too quiet and too dark and after meeting the monster, honestly i didnt got scare :/

Anyways look very promising :) keep up the good work
Mav3rick
Need some light??

Postby Ethril » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Are there any sudden screaming face pop-ups in this? 'Cause those are bullshit. (Ghouls get a pass on this because they're not "sudden"; You can see and hear them from a mile away, so if you get spooked it's your own fault for letting it catch you)
Jumpscares in general are okay though.
Ethril
F1

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm

I forgot to mention, something confused me during the game...
Spoiler:
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Jblade » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 am

I wrote a sorta-review of this here if you want to check it out Pyroscourge

Are there any sudden screaming face pop-ups in this? 'Cause those are bullshit. (Ghouls get a pass on this because they're not "sudden"; You can see and hear them from a mile away, so if you get spooked it's your own fault for letting it catch you)

There's one jump-scare, but no screaming pop-ups that I know of.
While exploring the path around along the lake, I got a little close to the water (I don't believe I touched it), and my character froze in place for about half a second. The screen then blinked red, and I was teleported to some kind of rural farm stable, which itself was a straight path to the cable car station. Was this really the intended path, because I would have never figured out to touch the water...

I had this happen to me the first time I played, but it wasn't near water it was whilst I was walking through the swampy bit near the stables.
Jblade

Postby scalliano » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Okay, this is fucked UP!

I've almost had my bowel loosened twice by this mod - both times by that goddamn mouth-creature. Is there any way to escape it when it appears?

So far, bags of atmosphere and the mod is incredible to look at, once you've adjusted the GL_LIGHT_AMBIENT settings ;)

And, I'm sorry, but a survival horror game like this really needs a map. I'm not even saying this as a Doom thing, because I know that's not what you're going for, but a freeroam world like this really demands a way to keep track of where you are.

Other than that, I'm really impressed so far as it's something a little bit different from the average mod. Keep it up!
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Ethril » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

scalliano wrote:I've almost had my bowel loosened twice by this mod - both times by that goddamn mouth-creature. Is there any way to escape it when it appears?

You mean the first type of enemy that appears? It's simple enough;
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ethril
F1

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Well, after the first rounds of comments I can clearly see a few consistent faults with the mod. I feel bad that some people didn't really enjoy their experience, but I suppose I am the only one to blame for that.

Ed the Bat wrote:STILL declaring playerclasses in KEYCONF? :P

Hah, yeah. When you fixed it for me in Winter's Fury I was already half way through the development of Supernatural. Naturally, I completely forgot about changing it. My bad.

Ed the Bat wrote:I've just begun playing, and I'm afraid I have to say, my eyes are REALLY hurting trying to read this tiny text. And I play at a moderately large screen resolution, too! (1600x900)

Also, I'm a little bothered with how far behind me the sounds of my steps appear to be. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them come from where I am, not where I was a second ago?

ADDENDUM: Finished the demo. On the whole, I thought it was beautiful to look at, and I want to see more.

The small text seems to be another common complaint, which is simply an error on my behalf. I apologize for the painful reading. I Imagine simply decreasing the SetHudSize values should help, so I'll play around with the current journal structure to get something more manageable for you guys.

I don't really notice the footsteps sound thing. Maybe I'm just too used to the current one? Did anyone else feel like their steps where coming from behind them, rather than beneath them?

Regardless, I hope you enjoyed playing, despite the discrepancies.

Orb Swallowing Fox wrote:The visuals and immersion is excellent! Made me lose track of the hours but ending up wandering around the entire base now lost with no clue where to look next for progression =^@.@^=, I'll keep searching and see what I can figure out, it's been a long time since something as impressive as this came along! Excellent!

DudeDesigns wrote:Good christ this was worth the wait. I've been exploring the base for a good 45 mins. It's got me spooked solid alright.
Can't wait for the finished product!

Thanks for playing and giving your thoughts. I hope you had fun.

Ral22 wrote:Spoiler stuff

Spoiler:

Ral22 wrote:You may want to make some adjustments to the "death" script. When I was "killed" by the "Eyes on the Lake," the game over screen came up like usual and I hit space to restart, but instead I pressed against the walls of the little black room I was teleported to and heard the signature "Umf" sound. The same thing happened when I was killed by the "Ducks of the Lake". You may want to make it so that monster actually kills you (EDIT: After playing it a few more times, it may have been a one-time glitch, as they did actually kill me, but it may be worth looking into again), not just activates a script. Also, you should probably toggle the little update icons OFF when you are killed and remove the ability to check your journal as well. It was odd seeing the icons flicker and check my objectives despite my death.

EDIT: Those desperate to play and see the game, but can't stand the intense amounts of dark, use The Zombie Killer's Beam Flashlight. It works with Supernatural, but do keep in mind it was not meant for it and you are soiling the intended experience of the game.

I've experienced the bug where you aren't killed before, however, I've never been able to consistently reproduce it. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I feel it has something to do with the health system. I'll have to investigate some more.

I actually considered using the flashlight mod with this, but on my screen barely anything (except the Power-Out Military Base) is actually 'too dark'. I'm a bit confused that people have been complaining about the darkness. Can't you just change your brightness settings? Is the brightness setup start screen not representative enough of the actual game brightness? I know that GZDoom can look different on so many different screens with many different options changed, so I can't really know myself. If the levels were just generally brighter, than it would be really easy to see on my screen and others, I imagine, too.

I'm not sure what I should do about this, to be honest. Any suggestions?

idGamer wrote:Well, I tried to play through on 3-4 year old laptop (foolish mistake), and eventually just gave up due to the bad framerate (not a criticism, I should of played it on a better system).

From my experience, I'm sorry to say it doesn't really do it for me. :|

Spoiler:

Wait, did you give up due to bad frame-rate, or did you finish the demo? Your post says both.

So another consistent problem pointed out here is navigation. The maps currently don't give you much love in terms of finding your way around, especially the Lake. So what exactly is the solution to this? Understand that in the full game you can't really get lost, as all areas are accessible. If you can't find anything to do in the area you went to, you can just go somewhere else. I'd imagine the issue here is that you are forced to do a specific something inside both the military base and lake segments, and hence people must explore the entire area until they find it. Adding a map takes away from the atmosphere slightly, as you can just use it find places you haven't explored yet and easily clear out every level. I'm not exactly sure what the solution to this is. Perhaps signs indicating each area in the military base would be the right kind of help? That still leaves the lake unfixed though.

Any ideas about navigation would be useful.

Thank you for playing regardless, and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it.

Cryomundus wrote:You really need a map, this is almost as terrible as playing a corridor maze map. I get the whole spooky atmosphere, but I just wound up quitting after wandering around the same areas not finding anything. It doesn't help that the whole place is friggin' pitch black.

Also, not too fond of "OH NOES SUPER INVINCIBLE MONSTERS THAT NO ONE CAN KILL EVAR." This is less survival horror and more wandering simulator, with 2 hit invici-mobs wandering about.

Now don't get me wrong, I love me a good horror/survival horror game. However, I could never bring myself to actually enjoy "hide and seek simulators," though that's more of my tendency of just walking up to the monster to see what it'll do, so I'll just reload a save and move around it, or if I'm playing something like silent-hill/resident evil, try and attack it in the gaps of it's attack patterns.

Ultimately, it's interesting, but really, really, really friggin' boring, even after the monsters showed up. And after getting the alternative gzdoom hud up and watching the monster count go up every so often, I honestly was just disappointed, as all it meant was that I had to first figure out where I had to go, and then reload an earlier save and rush to those points to minimize the monster count.

I was honestly hoping for more, and was pretty disappointed overall.

I'm sorry you were disappointed by it. To be honest, I'm starting to feel the same way about my own mod.
What exactly do you suggest I do to fix the problems you've stated?
Spoiler:

agaures wrote:Top notch.

I'm feeling some inspiration from the rain mod. Might i be right in thinking this? :)

RT-LZ-5H50 = Radio Tower-el zee-5hfifty.
Finding and reading the Radio Tower Location note will also hint at it.

zrrion the insect wrote:If you're having trouble finding your way around, map markers can still be placed to mark key locations.

I didn't actually know this was possible, but some combination of this and some form of simplistic map could help the problem a bit. Thanks for your kind words regardless, Zrrion.

Discordance wrote:Congrats on the demo release! I look forward to playing this.
No, I'm not pissed off that I have a shitty system that can't even open GZDoom, let alone run this at a playable framerate.
Not at all.

p.s. did I mention my laptop sucks?

Thanks for the comment. I know you've been looking forward to this for a while and it's a shame you can't actually play it.

Yutrzenika wrote:That said, there's one thing I've gotta ask, and I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but... Why Slenderman? So far he just feels very shoehorned in, and doesn't really fit with the overall aesthetic of the wad. Myself, and others have kinda associated "Slenderman" with cheap scares and those dinky "Slender" games you always see guys like PewDiePie playing, making over-exaggerated reactions on facecam.

See the response I gave Ral22 in the spoiler. Thanks for playing and giving your opinion, it is greatly appreciated.

Jblade wrote:A few criticisms - I'd definitly add more signs and directions to the bases, I can understand the desire to remove the map but in that case it would be better to have a in-game way to navigate the areas. The start of the base was also way too dark, I'd add tiny red lights that at least reveal some of the floor.

more spoiler stuff:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thank you for the review, also. I enjoyed reading through it.

Jimmy wrote:No concerns minus my uncertainty on how bright/dark everything should look despite me fiddling about in the settings map for ages to get something that kinda sorta worked. >_<

Now this follows on well from my previous comment about brightness. This gives me the impression that the settings map needs to be more telling in what the actual in game brightness looks like. But this is strange, because that setting map uses the exact same brightness levels as the Lake and Military Base. Ugh, I'm getting a headache thinking about this brightness stuff.

I hope you enjoy the mod, Jimmy.

Mav3rick wrote:In the early beginning of the map in the forest to be exactly, maybe add some "actions" to build tension? some lighting, some sounds or something else, because after some time running around and nothing happening make it annoying or boring (i know is a demo)

The military base can use something else too, like the forest too quiet and too dark and after meeting the monster, honestly i didnt got scare :/

I could add more things to the start bit, but I honestly thought it already built the tension enough, if there even was any in the first place. Anybody else think the start needed more?

Perhaps the horror elements in the mod are a bit below your usual standard, which I would expect from many people. If that's the case, I hope you enjoy whatever atmosphere you can be immersed into throughout the mod anyway. Thanks for trying it out.

Ethril wrote:Are there any sudden screaming face pop-ups in this? 'Cause those are bullshit. (Ghouls get a pass on this because they're not "sudden"; You can see and hear them from a mile away, so if you get spooked it's your own fault for letting it catch you)

There is technically one jumpscare, but nothing of the 'jump right into you screen' sort.

Ed the Bat wrote:I forgot to mention, something confused me during the game...

Not the intended route, you just got luckly (unlucky?). If you stay around the Lake and Military Base for a while, lots of different things can happen.
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby idGamer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Pyroscourge wrote:Wait, did you give up due to bad frame-rate, or did you finish the demo? Your post says both.

So another consistent problem pointed out here is navigation. The maps currently don't give you much love in terms of finding your way around, especially the Lake. So what exactly is the solution to this? Understand that in the full game you can't really get lost, as all areas are accessible. If you can't find anything to do in the area you went to, you can just go somewhere else. I'd imagine the issue here is that you are forced to do a specific something inside both the military base and lake segments, and hence people must explore the entire area until they find it. Adding a map takes away from the atmosphere slightly, as you can just use it find places you haven't explored yet and easily clear out every level. I'm not exactly sure what the solution to this is. Perhaps signs indicating each area in the military base would be the right kind of help? That still leaves the lake unfixed though.

Any ideas about navigation would be useful.

Thank you for playing regardless, and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it.

I didn't finish it; I was unable to beat the boss battle with my old laptop.

I see what you're getting at with the map. I'd say signs sound like a good idea to me.

Also, please don't be discouraged if I was rather negative. You made some very impressive levels, and the atmosphere is, as I said, top notch. My play experience may have been tarnished by my older system, as well. :)
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Pyroscourge wrote:Regardless, I hope you enjoyed playing, despite the discrepancies.

I absolutely did enjoy it, and I eagerly look forward to more content.

Now, this might sound like a stupid request, but will there ever be a detailed walkthrough/guide to this? I loved what I saw, and it's not that I'm looking to spoil the fun of it, but I am admittedly a HORRIBLE navigator, and I just KNOW I've missed out on some things, and will continue to in the future. I'd hate for it all to go to waste, so I have to admit I'm interested in knowing about the stuff I didn't find. Even if it's just some subtle hints to help steer me towards the goodies.
Ed the Bat

Postby Jblade » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Thinking about the map a bit more...I think the automap should be enabled when the radio tower is operational. After thinking about it for a bit, it's better for the map to be missing at the start like it already is since your objective isn't really to explore but to GTFO to the radio tower. Once the aim of the game shifts from that objective to the proper game, having a proper map would be much more suitable (either that or have a compass of some sorts so I know which way to head in future) Don't let the criticisms discourage you though, I'm really really looking forward to the full release and I don't say that lightly. The demo is fantastic and I've played through it thrice already so I'll have a bit of a head start when the mod is released :D

Just one question though:
Spoiler:

EDIT: also, about navigation - how about having tourism signs in the lake as well? IIRC there's mentions of tourists in one of the logs so it wouldn't be unnatural to see a rough map of the area on billboards dotted around the area.
Spoiler:
Jblade

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:56 pm

idGamer wrote:I didn't finish it; I was unable to beat the boss battle with my old laptop.

I see what you're getting at with the map. I'd say signs sound like a good idea to me.

Also, please don't be discouraged if I was rather negative. You made some very impressive levels, and the atmosphere is, as I said, top notch. My play experience may have been tarnished by my older system, as well. :)

Thank you for clarifying. I hope you had fun.

Ed the Bat wrote:
Pyroscourge wrote:Regardless, I hope you enjoyed playing, despite the discrepancies.

I absolutely did enjoy it, and I eagerly look forward to more content.

Now, this might sound like a stupid request, but will there ever be a detailed walkthrough/guide to this? I loved what I saw, and it's not that I'm looking to spoil the fun of it, but I am admittedly a HORRIBLE navigator, and I just KNOW I've missed out on some things, and will continue to in the future. I'd hate for it all to go to waste, so I have to admit I'm interested in knowing about the stuff I didn't find. Even if it's just some subtle hints to help steer me towards the goodies.

This actually sounds like a good idea. I would gladly write my own walkthrough for this, which I could include with the main download if people wanted.
What would be the best method to present the document though? Something like a text file for accessibility, or maybe a Word document for great detail/aesthetics (including pictures and stuff)?

Jblade wrote:Thinking about the map a bit more...I think the automap should be enabled when the radio tower is operational. After thinking about it for a bit, it's better for the map to be missing at the start like it already is since your objective isn't really to explore but to GTFO to the radio tower. Once the aim of the game shifts from that objective to the proper game, having a proper map would be much more suitable (either that or have a compass of some sorts so I know which way to head in future) Don't let the criticisms discourage you though, I'm really really looking forward to the full release and I don't say that lightly. The demo is fantastic and I've played through it thrice already so I'll have a bit of a head start when the mod is released.

Just one question though:
Spoiler:

In the current demo, the world map activates when you reach the top of the Radio Tower, but I hadn't considered the idea of a local map activating too. Regardless, I need to add something to help the player's ability to find their way around. One problem is if I do allow a regular doom style map, I'll have to change the current way the world map is viewed, since that blocks up vision entirely unless you have the overlay map turned on. Lots to think about.

And yes, you can definitely reach the Sewer in the demo.
Spoiler:
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:59 pm

A text document would certainly be simplest, but to make something prettier, my first thought would be a webpage (either online or just a set of html documents and pictures), which would probably be the next most accessible thing to plain text.
Ed the Bat

PreviousNext

Return to Levels