[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Released

Postby Pyroscourge » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Ral22 wrote:That being the case, does setting the health to 999 cause any sort of incompatibility with Supernatural? Does the health need to be so tremendously high for a specific reason? I'm well aware that it needs to be over 100, due to the new damage system incorporated into this game.

I'm not sure. I'll have to do a play through of my own to test, but I have a feeling I will need to find another work around. Sorry to give you such a sour experience for your first time playing the mod, but your help is greatly appreciated.
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby Ral22 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm

It is not a sour experience at all. This is why demos exist, right, to find all these sort of issues. Now that I'm actually playing the game (Having altered the player health) it's been super atmospheric and greatly designed. I'll say a little more once I finish the demo completely.
Ral22
stoneshipMapper

Postby Ed the Bat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:02 pm

STILL declaring playerclasses in KEYCONF? :P

In all fairness, it's not like it would be particularly fruitful to make this compatible with add-on characters, so... not as big a deal, I suppose. I'll try this out later tonight/tomorrow. I'm a huge sucker for dark atmospheres.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby comet1337_old » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 pm

about 10 minutes in
still wearing the same pants

but goddamn its looking good

edit: NEVERMIND IM SCARED
comet1337_old

Postby Orb Swallowing Fox » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 pm

The visuals and immersion is excellent! Made me lose track of the hours but ending up wandering around the entire base now lost with no clue where to look next for progression =^@.@^=, I'll keep searching and see what I can figure out, it's been a long time since something as impressive as this came along! Excellent!
Orb Swallowing Fox
All your marbles are belong to me!

Postby DudeDesigns » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Good christ this was worth the wait. I've been exploring the base for a good 45 mins. It's got me spooked solid alright.
Can't wait for the finished product!
DudeDesigns

Postby Ral22 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Just finished it. It was amazing, really. The TITLEMAP was astounding and beautiful, perfectly setting up the rest of the game. Architecturally, every scene was stunning and breath-taking, especially the Radio Tower and the Lake. Atmospherically, I was wonderfully immersed from beginning to end. I would have liked to see a little more help in navigating, either a flashlight or just more lights placed around to help guide you.

More in the Spoiler, as to not spoil things for others:
Spoiler:

All-in-all, a supermassive effort that was well worth the play and this demo alone will easily net a Cacoward. I can't wait for the final version, especially since the story got jumpstarted at the very end and got me very excited for the rest. Keep up the outstanding work.
Ral22
stoneshipMapper

Postby idGamer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but it looks good so far - and has the potential to be quite scary

I love the personnel notes you can find. They add some nice immersion into the game, and I really like the last updates.

There are a couple of things that irked me, however:
1: The lack of a map makes navigation a pain. This wouldn't be so bad if the environments weren't so open, but since they are, most of my 30 minutes of play was spent wandering around the creepy base.
2: The base is really dark. Using the recommended Bright sector setting, the base was nearly pitch black (making navigation even more difficult). Although darkness did lend to the creepiness, when it's so dark that I can hardly see five feet in front of me, it made me just want to up the gamma correction so I could move around more easily.

But still, it's an enjoyable and frightening experience so far. Especially:
Spoiler:
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 am

I've just begun playing, and I'm afraid I have to say, my eyes are REALLY hurting trying to read this tiny text. And I play at a moderately large screen resolution, too! (1600x900)

Also, I'm a little bothered with how far behind me the sounds of my steps appear to be. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them come from where I am, not where I was a second ago?

ADDENDUM: Finished the demo. On the whole, I thought it was beautiful to look at, and I want to see more.
Last edited by Ed the Bat on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 am

You really need a map, this is almost as terrible as playing a corridor maze map. I get the whole spooky atmosphere, but I just wound up quitting after wandering around the same areas not finding anything. It doesn't help that the whole place is friggin' pitch black.

Also, not too fond of "OH NOES SUPER INVINCIBLE MONSTERS THAT NO ONE CAN KILL EVAR." This is less survival horror and more wandering simulator, with 2 hit invici-mobs wandering about.

Now don't get me wrong, I love me a good horror/survival horror game. However, I could never bring myself to actually enjoy "hide and seek simulators," though that's more of my tendency of just walking up to the monster to see what it'll do, so I'll just reload a save and move around it, or if I'm playing something like silent-hill/resident evil, try and attack it in the gaps of it's attack patterns.

Ultimately, it's interesting, but really, really, really friggin' boring, even after the monsters showed up. And after getting the alternative gzdoom hud up and watching the monster count go up every so often, I honestly was just disappointed, as all it meant was that I had to first figure out where I had to go, and then reload an earlier save and rush to those points to minimize the monster count.

I was honestly hoping for more, and was pretty disappointed overall.
Cryomundus

Postby agaures » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:27 am

Top notch.

I'm feeling some inspiration from the rain mod. Might i be right in thinking this? :)

Edit:

*looks at credits* "Black and Green - Agaures (aka Krumzy)" Yay :D
(seriously not my best texturing work though.)
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby zrrion the insect » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:58 am

If you're having trouble finding your way around, map markers can still be placed to mark key locations.

And, Pyroscourge, if you are aren't already being paid to make games for a living someone should start doing that. This demo is unbelievable.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Discordance » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 am

Congrats on the demo release! I look forward to playing this.
No, I'm not pissed off that I have a shitty system that can't even open GZDoom, let alone run this at a playable framerate.
Not at all.

p.s. did I mention my laptop sucks?
Discordance
Come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off

Postby Yutrzenika » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 am

Discordance wrote:Congrats on the demo release! I look forward to playing this.
No, I'm not pissed off that I have a shitty system that can't even open GZDoom, let alone run this at a playable framerate.
Not at all.

p.s. did I mention my laptop sucks?

God do I know that feeling. It drops down to 20 or so a lot for me. Sometimes worse.

Anyways, I'm really digging this so far. I completed the demo, and then I decided to do some exploring with noclip, found some pretty interesting stuff, and it only makes me look forward to the final product even more.

That said, there's one thing I've gotta ask, and I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but... Why Slenderman? So far he just feels very shoehorned in, and doesn't really fit with the overall aesthetic of the wad. Myself, and others have kinda associated "Slenderman" with cheap scares and those dinky "Slender" games you always see guys like PewDiePie playing, making over-exaggerated reactions on facecam.
Yutrzenika

Postby Jblade » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:02 am

Played it, looks amazing and once I got used to the enemies' search patterns I didn't mind them. The atmosphere is superb.

A few criticisms - I'd definitly add more signs and directions to the bases, I can understand the desire to remove the map but in that case it would be better to have a in-game way to navigate the areas. The start of the base was also way too dark, I'd add tiny red lights that at least reveal some of the floor.

more spoiler stuff:
Spoiler:
Jblade

PreviousNext

Return to Levels