[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
grouchbag

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Released

Post by grouchbag »

This is a beautiful map.Got lost a lot, enjoyed the creepiness.This is very well done.Keep up the good work! :D
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Espilonarge wrote:Played the demo and if there's one thing that desperately needs fixing... it's that head-bobbing camera that's going up and down too much (it also looks unnatural for "human" movement). It's causing motion sickness for me.
You can type 'movebob' into the console and adjust it to your liking there.

me and agaures stumbled across something in the sewer map, I'm not sure if it's a bug but:
Spoiler:
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Espilonarge wrote:Played the demo and if there's one thing that desperately needs fixing... it's that head-bobbing camera that's going up and down too much (it also looks unnatural for "human" movement). It's causing motion sickness for me.
Like Jblade said, you can change that yourself.
Jblade wrote: me and agaures stumbled across something in the sewer map, I'm not sure if it's a bug but:
Spoiler:
Kind of intentional. I had programmed the sewer map to be entered from the Military Base, but changed it to only open once you get the sewer pass. In the demo, it's only meant as a secret map so it doesn't really concern me. Some other exits to the sewer will be open normally, but they haven't been made to work yet.
Spoiler:
agaures

Post by agaures »

Pyroscourge wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

I've made a working version of the map now, which turned out better than I expected.

(I took this with IDDT activated.)

There's a few issues though, as GZDoom allows a ton of customization to the automap. I don't want to stylize it too much as a lot of people customize their map colours to different things, and I'm not really sure how to implement a compass if you can rotate the automap. Additionally, none of the extra things will come up if you use the overlay map, but none of these things are really big problems.

Regardless, I imagine this is the kind of improvement most people were looking for?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I scribbled up an ACS-based compass a long time ago, harvesting from radar displays that other modders before me made (standing on the shoulders of giants, eh?). Maybe that would help you out?
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

That would be great if I could see it, Ed. I wouldn't even really know where to begin if I did it myself.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Here you go. It uses a CVAR to toggle it, which you could make a menu option.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Thanks! I guess I'm the one standing on the shoulders of a giant now. : P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Surely you don't mean li'l ol' me! :3:

But really, our community would never have become what it is without us working together/upon each other's projects. :)
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

that map look great :D maybe give it few touchs to make it look like is been display on some kind of pda?
about the hud i have some ideas that you may like or not, is very simple no idea if it fit but is nice to try it :)

1... invontory is well clear: flares, flaslight, armor (maybe to help the player to get more that just 2 hits)
2... info location: where the name of places you visit will be show, as in the lake you visit many places those locations can have a name for future reference
3... compas.. well the compas :P maybe a simple one like <---N------NW----> if this can be done of course
4... special objects: where key card, or plot items are keep
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Alright, I've increased the size of the text by a small margin. I'm trying not to overdo it, as I like getting as much stuff in that one section of the screen as possible. So a question to those who thought it was too small, is this better?

Previous version for comparison:
Spoiler:
Mav3rick wrote:that map look great :D maybe give it few touchs to make it look like is been display on some kind of pda?
about the hud i have some ideas that you may like or not, is very simple no idea if it fit but is nice to try it :)
The inventory and special items are already covered in the journal, and it's not like you would ever need to check what you have super-quickly. However, I have added the compass in now, so when I say 'Head North', you actually know where you are going.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'd have to see the text in-game to really gauge if it'll work for me, but I have to imagine that any increase in size is an improvement.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

...The ducks. I fed them. And I paid the price with giant tentacles.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Also, couple minor nitpicks.

Titlemap: When that "thing" turns into two large pairs of eyes, it's not obscured enough to cover up the very sudden change. Either might want to move the spawner more to the right, or decrease the smoke eyes' size.

EDIT: Okay. You really don't need to be using Delay(1) in your scripts. ESPECIALLY for multiple ones running at the same time. The more important ones, you could get away with like 5 or so, but 1? That's the reason why it's a big bottleneck, especially when coming back on map 1 after grabbing the gas container.

Return to “Levels”