[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

Post by Gez »

With UDMF you can hide sectors from the automap.

Funny thing: originally, the textured automap code automatically hid sectors defined entirely by hidden linedefs. The result was that the floor lamps in Doom II MAP01 did not appear on the automap, so this was changed. Sectors are still automatically hidden if they're 3D floor control sectors or polyobject holding cell sectors.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Allow me to sum up as succinctly as I can my reaction to this mod:

:O

But, seriously, this thing is amazing. I'm not sure how it could be any better... er, except maybe if GZDoom depended a little more on my GPU than my CPU. Fantastic lighting, although I found it to be moodier by setting Light Intensity to 0.3 and Light Size to 2.0 -- just my personal taste. That creature, although it be only a Doom standard paperdoll of sorts, is surprisingly terrifying. Or maybe I'm just a wuss; either way, I found myself running away from it quite instinctively. Good job. :)
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

I gotta say i am impressed with what i see,i tried it and explored the base after turning the power on,i stopped after awhile so i could comment about it.

First of,i would like to say congrats,the atmosphere was quite chilling.

I tried playing with the light setting at 'dark' but it was almost pitch black so i had to play with the setting at 'doom' or 'shareware' instead.

Reading the journal and collecting notes was quite immersive,it reminded me of when i read the journal notes about monsters and locations in 'The suffering' and its sequel 'The suffering:ties that bind',also the Silent Hill games.

The monster was creepy and well made,just the feeling of him moving around the place made me uneasy and on alert.
-----

And now here are my toughts on what could be improved or added to the game,of course you dont need to make these if you want,but im just giving some foods for toughts.

-Its difficult to know when the creature is nearby,of course it does make some roaring sound,but sometime it sink with the environment sounds or he doesnt make enough noises to make it clear that it is nearby,adding more footsteps sounds or roarings that echoes trough the rooms/hallways wouldnt hurt.

-It would be nice if there was some kind of radar item that let you see on the map the location where the creature is when its moving around,of course this is something that should be only available trough an easier difficulty setting,so if someone still want some challenges they can always play on normal difficulty.

-For those that would play with the 'dark' setting,i would recommend a flashlight that you can turn on and off,of course using said flashlight would also have consequences,like the creature could spot you more easily if you have it turned on.

I'll try to think about what else could be implemented.

Anyway,keep up the good work and cant wait to see what you else you have up your sleeves.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Small tips for those who are caught in the sewers.
As for the title of the video, that's just a bug with dynamic lights now affecting BRIGHT sprites which I was showing to Graf.

You can evade her pull by keeping moving. One of the PDAs has some very useful notes that you should read...
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Those maps look beautiful!

I can't find any standard action maps that have that same kind of ambiance, with the lights and textures and stuff. It would be SO EPIC if there were maps like these that were action packed... loaded with monsters and weapons and ammo, and not creepy. Just like with Winter's Fury.

I'm almost tempted to play this demo, but then I'll crap myself. XD
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Just played the last demo,it was great! :D Think I'll sit up and play this for a while......It won't scare me, at least I don't think....yet! :D :D :D
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

nice 8-month necrobump you got there
Actually, I had forgotten about this and now I want to play it again, so...
I'm almost tempted to play this demo, but then I'll crap myself. XD
From what I remember, it's actually not that scary. It's more... intense would be a good word, I guess. Keeps you on edge, since you never know where the next monstrosity might be lurking, but there's little in the way of sudden jump-scares. Except for a few encounters with Him.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I didn't notice it had been dead for so long...

Sorry for the necrobump... XD

EDIT: I'm starting to get "daymares" now... D:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Actually it's rather ironic how you guys bumped this, because I checked the download link, and apparently the mod was updated a day before that bump. First notable difference I saw was at the lake, there's towering lights similar to the military base. Some of them are on and green, some of them aren't.

Also, Anthony isn't a slenderman anymore. And the credits were updated, yay! Thanks Pyroscourge!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah, look at that. :D
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Just a heads up, ZDoom now has fixed the A_Fade issue where monster counts would not clear themselves.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

when you come across the first entity at the entrance to the techbase...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IIIIIIIT

this is awesome, so good seeing horror in doom done well.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

this was the moment i realized i hated how good you werre

that hole for all you people who havent played it is a portal full of bliking lights and brightmaps and its amazingly well done. and i ahte him for it.
Orb Swallowing Fox

Post by Orb Swallowing Fox »

This is still THE best thing I have EVER played. I've been playing this for countless hours each day not long ago, I simply cannot get enough of this Pyroscourge, this demo goes well above and beyond what even most completed high profile mods would only dream of achieving. I love how different this is from other mods, how deep and thought provoking it is as you walk around these spectacular environments, collecting notes, trying to make sense of things based upon what I know from Winters Fury, it's truly a thinking persons mod filled with mystery! I hope it's still in the works, it's just too good! But I'm definitely patient, because such brilliant works of art like this do indeed take a very long time.

I certainly have a LOT of plot theories about this mod ever since I played the last version of Winters Fury, and then reading all the notes scattered about in the demo world, that just adds so much more life to an already beautiful work of mapping mastery!

Edit: And yeah, those were some very neat light effects due to lightmaps and dynamic lights combination there, several times when I passed by those grates in the military base I'd just stop to look at them ^w^. *Avoid sneaks up on me while I am distracted by all the shiny* EEP! : P
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

a few criticisms.

first off (and i know youre gonna roll your eyes and its also going to be hard to edit each sector in your outdoor areas but lets face face it) it needs to be brighter outdoors. i have een playing the outdoor sections on "bright" and they look amazing. on dark you simply cant see anything at all. and i think it really robs the setting of immersion...because these are hands down the most immersive outdoor sectors i have ever seen.

second it does need to be optimized. it runs super slow at some points and i run a pretty beefy rig. not sure how to go about this, but with how much ive sene im sure youll find a way to really ge tthis thing optimized for the rest of us.

im still palying but these two things are been kinda bothering me andi feel like people will complain so i wanted to let you know.

other than that...im scared and i definitely think thats what you were going for.

Return to “Levels”