[Release] The Refinery

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Release] The Refinery

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:02 pm

I have to say my experience was pretty much the polar opposite of yours. I played in OpenGL and has no performance issues (given that the map is intended for OpenGL, and very much set up for it, I wouldn't even want to play it in software - I think I'd rather pass than play). I quite liked the slow start weapons-wise and felt that the shotgun arrived just when I felt it was time to get one. Yes, some of the new enemies, particularly the ones that you identified, are tough and dish out loads of damage if you get caught out by them but I actually like that kind of "realistic"* enemy and didn't find them too difficult to deal with.

*by "realistic" I mean something that has believable-ish human hitpoints and does an equally reasonably believable amount of damage with a weapon that, in reality, could kill you with one shot.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:00 am

ChronoSeth wrote:So... is this E1M3 (Toxin Refinery), or E2M3 (Refinery)?

Ugh... :blergh: damn evil typo at the text above, it's E2M3 actually!

Nightfall wrote:the ASG and repeater zombies are god damn overpowered as hell

Supposed to, the idea here is to be careful, reduce your pace and don't run through the level as hell.

I had to fight the wraiths with the pistol only

...which isn't a big deal considering their low health

PalPlus makes everything brown and dull, using something like simplicity's palette added the colors back and made it look much better.

It enlarges the contrasts and reduces the saturation, that's true and this is what I aimed for. I know it's not everyone's taste, but it hasn't to be anyway :)

Also I noticed some texture edits of mine that you didn't credit for (dmetal*, the burn effect in sign99, might be others)

This was definitely not intentional, I will add you to the credits just now.

@Enjay - Glad that you liked it :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby timmyr0x0r » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:39 am

Duude, the map is plain awesome. I can only hope that TSoZD approaches this level of quality, particulary with the blending of environements (base-cave-marble hell-flesh hell)
But a thing bugs me: how come you cannot have the special zombies weapons? I mean, they are the cool ones. And they are in R667 as weapons already. Dunno for the repeater, but at least give us the quad-shotgun :P.
timmyr0x0r

Postby printz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:14 am

What, was this paletted? I thought it's GZDoom. Anyway, good work for actually finding a place where Sigvatr's work fits :thumb:
printz
Eternity and AutoDoom programmer

Github ID: ioan-chera
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 am

timmyr0x0r wrote:Dunno for the repeater, but at least give us the quad-shotgun :P.

That would simply kill the balanced gameplay :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Blue Shadow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:53 am

The map is dark and atmospheric and the visuals, in general, are top notch. However, there are a few things I'd like to mention:
  • I find it that there are too many new monsters just for one map. You face a new monster around every and so corner.
  • The monsters are tough, in general, which is fine, since you don't get mobbed up by them. But when it comes to zombies, they're just punishing. And the fact sometimes it's hard to make a zombie out of another (due to distance + darkness), makes it even more punishing. A case in point; the rocket launcher dude.
  • I find it silly that you must shut down the gas leak in order to get to the blue keycard. I mean, why am I blocked out by the gas? I doesn't make sense.
One last thing...
Spoiler:
Blue Shadow

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby scalliano » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Other than spending a bit too much time using the pistol towards the beginning (even after I got the SG), this map is quality. I had no idea that one of my own monsters could be such a pain in the arse :P I particularly liked the "arrange mode" after you finish the map the first time - the gameplay on the second round is a bit more "me" :twisted:

If TSoZD is anywhere near this standard (which is already higher than KDiZD) we're in for a real treat. At no point did I find myself getting lost or wondering what switches did or anything like that. Good job!
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby esselfortium » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Copy Information : You may use material from this project for your own
projects as long as you credit the respective creators

You may upload this file somewhere else as long as
this file stays included as it is

You are encouraged to base projects on this resources,
setting and scripts

Tormentor, I definitely did not agree to this when I reluctantly allowed you to use your traceovers and other near-identical replicas of unreleased TSoZD resources in this wad.
esselfortium

Postby Ghastly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Finished the first run. Not bad at all. My one complaint is that some monsters don't really fit (Blot) or seem redundant (Why are there Nightshades there when Imps have the same difficulty and function?), and some aren't used as much as they should be. I love the Trites and especially that webbed-up tunnel, but there are only a few of them.

But otherwise, excellent! :D
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 am

esselfortium wrote:Tormentor, I definitely did not agree to this when I reluctantly allowed you to use your traceovers and other near-identical replicas of unreleased TSoZD resources in this wad.

Sorry, I thought you have already read the txt and were fine before I released it. I just updated the Copyright information and am uploading a new file with "MUST NOT" instead of "may", that should solve the issue.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Sgt Dopey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:18 am

I had a little playthrough it looks nice plays well and is difficult, Just how I like my wads

Also:
TSoZD better not have dynamic lighting
Sgt Dopey
:O

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Vader » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:44 am

Don't worry, TSoZD will be Zdoom compatible!
Vader
Mandroid ginger Ninja

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

It's unfortunate. Even though my system can run Doom 3 on High smoothly I can't for the life of me get this mod to run smoothly, even in ZDoom. Even turning off all of the graphic effects and settings don't do squat. It's rather disappointing to have your whole experience with a new mod spoiled on a account of too much detail. Calling this similar to Gothic99 would be rather harsh, but there are similarities (and I don't mean this in a mean or trolling manner).

Try reducing the effects so that it runs even on weaker systems. As it is, your limiting your audience to only the people that have very high-end systems.
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

Postby Gez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 am

Note to anybody playing this in ZDoom or otherwise software mode: there is a very important broken bridge ramp that is built out of sloped 3D floors.
Gez

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 am

Aren't sloped and 3d floors supported in 2.6.1?
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

PreviousNext

Return to Levels