Dimension K (Complete)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
clarence144

Dimension K (Complete)

Post by clarence144 »

Ok guys, this is for legit. I worked VERY hard for this one. After some levels in the past that I made which wern't great, I feel I finally learned how to make a phenomenal level. This level is HUGE and full of interesting tricks and secrets. Please tell me what you think. Basically this level is like a big city level, many different buildings and monsters.

I only have time to post this screen shot showing the city right now:

Get it here:

http://www.levelgame.net/dimensionk/dk044.wad

This is for level1 of doom 2 and is intended for use of zdoom with the look up and down feature. If anyone would be so kind as to make a demo that would be awesome, but at least leave any thoughts. Thanks all, you're awesome!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Dimension K (Complete)

Post by wildweasel »

Ooh, I do like a good urban map. I may or may not try recording a video of this with Nazis! or a similar gameplay mod.

[edit] Where are all the weapons?!
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

They're all there, just got to look for them

Shotgun - behind first brown building with large bricks

rocket launcher - on pillar behind black building with gray grid

DBL shotgun - in the pink brick building with the imps and barrels in red walls outsite.

The rest are there too :)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Starting point epic fail

ED: ...running around in circles randomly losing health to stray hitscans and looking for weapons that may or may not be there is not my idea of a good time.

This map shows promise but there's only a certain amount of Minnie Hall that things can get before it just gets irritating.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

Right, the hitscanners. There is 3 chaingunners and 1 shotgun guy guarding the large bricked brown building. Also a few guys on the 4 guardwalls around the map. I did try to limit these.

Also I feel like this would be a level that needs to be figured out a bit to get into it. Maybe a bit of trial and error. I mostly played this with my friend Zot and it is more fun when you have unlimited lives. But I feel that once you get into it and see where the weapons are and form a strategy etc it can be more fun.

But these are valid points I will remember if I make more levels. I did forget that as the map builder, I knew where the guns were right away, but again this can also come from doing a few trial runs of the map.

Please give any more feedback positive or negitive. Thanks all.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had a chance to look at this :)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Still not having any real luck with the map. You've filled your map full of ammo, but very few actual weapons, and it's very difficult to find any cover. Sorry, can't do it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:Still not having any real luck with the map. You've filled your map full of ammo, but very few actual weapons, and it's very difficult to find any cover. Sorry, can't do it.
I tried earlier today and came up with pretty much the same conclusion.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

The rocket launcher and shotgun are right at the start. One behind the large brown building and one behind the large black building. And the dbl shotgun is in the diamond pink building opposite of the large brown brick building.

So the weapons are not right out in the open, but aren't too hard to find I didn't think.

When you work your way though the map the other weapons are there too.

It was a mistake to put any hitscanners in the outside but other than that I think this level has a lot of interesting things to be found.

Sorry about the crappy start to it

Like I said, this may be best as a group effort if you use multiplayer.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

clarence144 wrote:Like I said, this may be best as a group effort if you use multiplayer.
Well, there goes my desire to play it, then. Don't have anybody to play it with that'd be willing to sit through this with me. (And by that, I mean they'd rather go play Alien Vendetta, Scythe 2, Speed of Doom, or Congestion 1024...if I can convince them to play at all. AND if I can get the network to work without fucking around with my router.)
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

There's also a secret where if you run between the pink and red buildings that are very close to each other you get a chaingun earler then you would, but this secret is only available within 30 seconds of the level start.

But yeah, I played this a lot with multiplayer so maybe it could be considered a multiplayer game. Otherwise I could suggest a lower setting such as "hurt me plenty".

It's all set for multiple settings and deathmatch
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

You could also set -host 1 in the command line and it will set a single person multiplayer game, where as if you die you just can respawn and all your progress is still there.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

If I were to do that, I might as well just turn on God Mode. I don't roll that way.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

I don't think so. But if I made this too hard then this is an alternative way to play it. The challenge could be to see how few times you would die.

Anyway - thanks for the comments. I'm disappointed, but I will learn from this feedback for my next project. I actually got something in the pipes that is completely different that I hope people enjoy.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think the problem is that from the start you are right out in the open and subject to enemy fire right away. Sure there are walls and so on to take cover behind but the openness (which of course some people will like) means that you are just running around at random hoping to happen upon some better firepower before the hordes of enemies that are better equipped than you are reduce you to 0 hitpoints.

One time I thought I'd found something useful as I ran towards a nice looking area but, no, it just sprang a trap that released multiple archviles. When you are on <25 hitpoints and armed only with a pistol and a family of archviles appear, you don't last long. Again, some people like that kind of stuff but, for me, getting in a situation like that less than a minute after starting was not fun.

Personally, I would prefer something a bit more progressive that allows the player to work through the map in a reasonably logical order (while still allowing him the freedom of trying a number of strategies) where the toughness of the fights, and the player's ability to cope with them, increase as the map goes on.

Return to “Levels”