Dimension K (Complete)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
clarence144

Re: Dimension K (Complete)

Post by clarence144 »

Good point. But that may be a trial and error thing. Once you figure out the traps and tricks of the map, the player can try again figuring out the best route and avoid the traps etc.

Of course as I made the map I know all about how it works and can actually get through it. This may be considered a flaw. I figured people would be willing to experiement with things and learn this stuff for themselves, but that's not for everybody.

Like I said, I now see many flaws here and hope to improve on them in the future. I can see how this map can appear extremely frustrating and annoying upon first glance, but I still feel that after a few attempts and a learning curve it isn't that bad. :)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Of course as I made the map I know all about how it works and can actually get through it. This may be considered a flaw. I figured people would be willing to experiement with things and learn this stuff for themselves, but that's not for everybody.
You do realize there are, like, zillions of maps out there, right? If you can't get someone's buy-in in the first few minutes (whether by immediately engaging gameplay (easily done on this map by simply adding a rocket launcher and a dozen boxes right on the spawn point) or with a demonstrably believable promise that the mapper didn't just screw the pooch and really It Gets Better (e.g., placing that RL in plain view but only accessible behind a red skull door which means the player is tasked with finding the red skull key)) most of us will just delete the wad and not look at it again.
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

You're right. Actually that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I will do just what you said and give the player a rocket launcher and some rockets and remove the hitscanners / etc so people will be more willing to delve into this game fruther.

I do apprecieate everyone's feedback but am also jolted by the fact many people won't play through to see some of the stuff I worked hard on in this map. But that's cool.

When I feel like it, I can make the fixes and send this out later.

Like I said, I've learned a lot and hope to make my next map better. I've already changed a few things on my other project and made sure that it's more player friendly. wish me luck. Thanks all for the feedback, it's nice to get real honest answers from ppl
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

Thanks again everyone for your help and attempting to play this level that I see needs to go back to the drawing board :)

Return to “Levels”