Maps of Chaos - Overkill RC1 out!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Brutalized Doom & Doom 2 - Overkill RC1 out!

Post by Armaetus »

The thing is, I haven't finished editing Doom 2's levels for Overkill (about half done) so that count is bound to be increased. :)
Piter432

Post by Piter432 »

Mr. Chris wrote:New region of E3M3 to explore..

Very nice area :)
thesleeve

Post by thesleeve »

Just did a quick monster count for the original 3 Doom episodes (on UV difficulty).

EDIT: I am using the "Overkill" version for this comparison.

Original: 2352
Brutalized (Overkill): 6097

Wow!
Last edited by thesleeve on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

thesleeve wrote:Just did a quick monster count for the original 3 Doom episodes (on UV difficulty).

Original: 2352
Brutalized: 6097

Wow!
NEED MOAR!!! :lol:
born v12

Post by born v12 »

When release of final version of Brutalized OverKill?
P.S. Sorry.
M_ZilLa

Post by M_ZilLa »

Alright, Chris. Where is that goddamn 4th secret in E1M1?! TELL ME.

Ah... I tend to turn forum posts into novels.

I only found this map series recently and didn't even realize you weren't finished with the Overkill version. Would you mind labeling the OP with the completion level of your wads?
I played the first few maps of episodes 1, 2, and Doom 2 and they were all very overkill, so if you have even just those episodes done I definitely have enough hellscape to purge for the foreseeable future.

What I really appreciate is the size you've expanded these maps to because it makes them far more satisfying to complete than the cruising speed of vanilla doom. I usually spend 15+ minutes trying to get through a map with as much hp/ap/ammo as possible.

And I'll end with what I think is most important: the transition areas of your maps. Well, all the maps I've played so far end the normal way with a switch in a small room, but starting on the outside of the building you will enter is just absolutely great and really gives you a sense of progression, as I believe was already said in this thread.

Scenery and environment detail! It alone gives Doom such a better atmosphere, and why I believe Duke3D was so memorable because it was the first FPS to really do that.
I remember several Duke maps that had the ending area show a (fake) portion of the next map. E3M1 Raw Meat had a crack in the wall at the end that showed the front of the Bank in Bank Roll, the next map.
If you ever feel like revisiting your previous work and adding ending areas to your maps I think it would be worth it!
Perhaps I'll pick up the Doom mapping trade...

Ooh I just remembered something. Detailed out of bounds areas! Just a little something to blend the map horizon with the skybox. The Community Chest series did that extremely well.
Ma77

Post by Ma77 »

the 4th secret in e1m1 is actually at the very start :P
what you have to do is go th the left of the dead body to where a door opens up and you get a chaingun!!!! (note where the helepad is)
Frostiken

Post by Frostiken »

Holy shit Overkill is awesome.

I was apprehensive at first, but using Sperglord's Brutal Doom it's just totally on-point. I was worried that 'more difficult' would mean doing stupid shit like Barons of Hell on E1M1 and Cyberdemons popping out of every other door. But this is awesome. Filling the levels with hundreds of chaff enemies is exactly what Doom needs. I just finished E2's Cyberdemon fight - *WOW*. Then I began E3M1 and my face exploded.

SO awesome.
M_ZilLa

Post by M_ZilLa »

Ma77 wrote:the 4th secret in e1m1 is actually at the very start :P
what you have to do is go th the left of the dead body to where a door opens up and you get a chaingun!!!! (note where the helepad is)
OF COURSE. I knew the empty open areas were suspicious, but I figured the hangar would be it.

I'm going to start a Let's Play series on Youtube with the Overkill maps on Brutal (full speed reg dmg) using BD: Sperglorg.
I plan on starting this as soon as I can get my framerate up to an acceptable level, if possible. Perhaps my 8800 GTS just can't do it... :\
when I'm recording in Doom, FRAPS says my FPS is a solid 60, but when I watch finished clip it clearly is much lower and the screen tears, or gets wavy, you know.
I tried lock framerate... Should I set the screen capture to half-size? I'm already playing in 1280x720 which would put me down to 360p i guess...
Frostiken

Post by Frostiken »

Hey did you forget to brutalize-overkillize E3M9 'Warrens'? I was expecting to get my ass absolutely destroyed but... it's pretty much the same as the hardcore version of the map. I mean, in Overkill E3M1, the first little area your elevator takes you up in has a billion enemies spawning and a Baron behind the first door. None of that exists in the Overkill version.
M_ZilLa

Post by M_ZilLa »

Frostiken wrote:Hey did you forget to brutalize-overkillize E3M9 'Warrens'?
I believe Overkill is still a WIP. It would be nice if Mr. Chris Dragon would give the Overkill link on the OP a completion status so we can praise him and cheer him on
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Ach!

E2M4 has some serious HOM crap going on.

In the first room filled with enemies after the teleporter jump, there is a section of wall that drops down to reveal some enemies, the corner to your right after you enter the room. Well, that area inside has quite some HOMS down inside it.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

@M_Zilla: Look for a marine corpse at the start of E1M1, that is the hint :)

The HOM for that spot near the start in E2M4 is intentional so it looks like normal flooring, and the player is not meant to muck with the hole and get stuck with it. It's part of the trap :)

In regards to E3M9, I really should do that but I may have to do some cut-paste surgery to put the E3M9 sections onto the existing E3M1 and edit from there. I was just lazy in terms of doing it in the past. :P

Overkill Doom1 is about 80% done and Overkill Doom 2 is closer to 65%, I just want to knock Doom1 off the list before I continue with Doom 2.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I feel like E3M1 could use a little bit of cover in the starting area, since it can be tricky to dodge everything when everything teleports in around you and all you have are those trees especially if you're playing with a gameplay WAD that makes the monsters tougher and faster. Though the area there itself could use a little more detail like your other entryways, too.
Frostiken

Post by Frostiken »

-Ghost- wrote:I feel like E3M1 could use a little bit of cover in the starting area, since it can be tricky to dodge everything when everything teleports in around you and all you have are those trees especially if you're playing with a gameplay WAD that makes the monsters tougher and faster. Though the area there itself could use a little more detail like your other entryways, too.
I disagree. Balancing the mod for other mods would be a fool's errand. I think the map should be redesigned a *little* to make it more obvious where the chaingun is (it's hard to tell because so much shit happens when the map starts) but that frantic first few minutes is one of my favorites.

Return to “Levels”