[Megawad] No End In Sight

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [Megawad] No End In Sight

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I guess my question should have been: is there a way that does not require cheating?
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I guess my question should have been: is there a way that does not require cheating?
Cheating is a relative term. It's all about having fun, isn't it?

To access E1M0 during normal gameplay, you'd have to edit the Mapinfo (or Emapinfo) before you start playing, or at least before you enter E1M3. If you look at the Mapinfo, you'll see it is already set up to give access to the second E4 secret map, E4M0, from E4M6. There is also an entry for E1M0. It indicates the exit from E1M0 should go to E1M4, which is where the normal secret map E1M9 also leads. That tells me that E1M0 should be accessed directly from E1M9, either from a normal exit or a secret exit. Since there is no secret exit in E1M9. it follows that E1M9 must lead directly to E1M0 from the normal exit. What's missing from Mapinfo is the following:

Code: Select all

map E1M9 "Quarantine Silos"
	titlepatch WILV08
	next E1M0
	secretnext E1M0
	sky1 SKY1 0
	cluster 1
	par 0
	music D_E1M9
and from Emapinfo:

Code: Select all

[E1M9]
levelname     = E1M9: Quarantine Silos
music         = E1M9
skyname       = SKY1
interpic      = INTERPIC
levelpic      = WILV08
intermusic    = INTER
nextlevel     = E1M0
nextsecret    = E1M0
It's also possible that E1M0 is meant to replace E1M9 as an alternative secret map. That would require Mapinfo and Emapinfo entries for E1M3 instead of E1M9 with the 'next' and 'nextlevel' lines going to E1M0 instead of E1M4 and 'secretnext' and 'nextsecret' pointing to E1M9 as normal.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

E1M0 is intentionally excluded from the map rotation. It used to be E1M9, but got replaced 'cause it wasn't so good. We decided to leave it in the wad, though, similar to how a some Doom 2 projects (e.g. CC4, D2TWID) will add a "bonus" MAP33.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Thanks! And while I agree E1M0 looks a bit odd in places, I do find it quite enjoyable - even fitting when played with Doom Delta - and I am glad you left it in there.

Return to “Levels”