[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Postby cccp_leha » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:45 pm

@All: Here it is; I added some nifty (IMO) gameplay features so pay attention to those. As I see it, all that's left is monster placement, the slime-dead-end place, the exit and general NiGHTMARE-ification of some parts. The Duke-style water teleoprt is pretty much finished also, with a few under-nukage decorations left. Comments/suggestions - I don't care. :P

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wmaiorov/ze1m1.wad
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Risen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:02 pm

I'm still not convinced we need another secret map. I think we should finish what we have and do it right.
Risen

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:16 pm

@Risen - Well, I think we need another one, and actually I got very far with the second secret map, that's why I want it to be in the project. First at all, it is another "goodie" of our project, which nobody thinks of while playing (surprise), seond you are the only person by now, who is against a second secret map (although I have to admit, nobody said they need it). Nevertheless, I don't want to argue with you about that, just consider the fact that I am your boss *g*
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:32 pm

Okay, played through E1M1 and encountered several things:

- The secret at the nukageroom where you get to the 3d bridge should be no more secret, bind it into the map as regular room.
- Place the new exit after some new rooms after the nukageroom deadend
- Place medikits and stimpaks, map is by far too hard
- Try to reduce the hellish influence a bit, it is just E1M1, not E1M7!
- Try to change something about the obvious similarity of the 2 large rooms I added to E1M1, the look just the same (yes, also my fualt)
- Try to copy some style & design elements from other KDIZD maps, for now the E1M1 map seems to be independent from all the others :(
- Some rooms (original exit, hallway before original exit, etc.) still look to similar to their equals. Change something about it, make them special, or even remove and rebuild em to get an interesting effect!

...that's all for now, but beware: I will find out much more :)

**EDIT**
Ok, finally I am tired *yawn* Have a good night and until tomorrow, when I continue work!
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Risen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:43 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:just consider the fact that I am your boss *g*

I don't need another boss. We work together or not at all.
Risen

Postby Bio Hazard » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:49 pm

um, torm. what are you on? having a second secret map will make me have to completly start over all the planning for the credits map

risen also tells me that if a 10th map gets involved, the intermission will have to be re-coded practicly from scratch

save it for "Shores of ZDoom"
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Risen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:58 pm

Not entirely from scratch, but very heavily modified. It was built all along with nine maps in mind.
Risen

Postby NiGHTMARE » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:06 pm

Personally I'm for a second secret map (in fact, I already suggested it a few pages back ;)), but such problems are why I think a "Director's Cut" edition would be a good idea :).

BTW I'd call for a little tolerance and compromise from everyone. I mean, we're fortunate that no-one's come along to blast the new intermission screen idea, but it could easily have happened (and I can virtually guarantee that at least one charming individual will whine about it after the release).

Oh and Torm: depending what gets decided and how quickly I get the E1M7 stuff done, I'll be happy to help out with the map :).
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:41 pm

BioHazard and Risen.. you could always make the second secret map MAP11. ;) But yeah, I agree.. even though it looks sweet (like every other level) I don't know if it's a good idea. Though still, couldn't hurt to just stick it in and tell players they can get to it via "map mapxx" in he console.

"The ZDoom of the Damned" would probably never take off because many people, myself included, don't really like Heretic. Heretic is Doom's bastard stepchild.

It got a pretty good reaction the last time I suggested it. And I think the problem with heretic was the lack of varied texturing.. the original level designs were quite good, so to expand on them with ZDoom features would be A Good Thing.

And a note about Nmn's latest screenshots: looking nice, as usual, but it kinda disturbs me that you're using the midbars (or whatever its name is) texture and making it translucent. IMO, it should either be opaque (they are metal bars afterall) or use a more "glassy" texture.
Chris

Postby NiGHTMARE » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:52 pm

If a ZDoom of the Damned project ever got started, I'd be willing to put together a texture wad for it. It'd use stuff from Hexen, Blood, Witchaven, the first two Thiefs, and a couple of other games. I've also seen monsters in a few other games (no, not just Hexen! :P) which could be imported as well.

However, it'd be best to take this discussion to another, more appropriate thread - either a new one or the poll I started a while back.

On topic, I agree the translucent texture (actually MIDSPACE) looks a little odd.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby NiGHTMARE » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:07 pm

E1M1 is looking very cool!

However: in the green armour room, the metal pillars on the walls have numerous mismatching textures (the fronts are METAL2, some of the sides are METAL and other sides are SUPPORT3), and the stone ramp has misalignments on its sides. There are also misalignments on the windows (compare the inside to the outside).

The same goes for the duplicate of this room too :).
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:18 am

@Risen - Calm down, this was just a joke, but at last, my decision is, what counds, nothing else (It's actually the same discussion as I had with some other persons in the Zdoom Map project thread part 1). So, I don't want to argue with you about that, just accept it and tell me, why it is that much more work for you, what you have to do and how we can help you with that at all. 2 weeks left on WEEK3 and I think we won't be finished with that thing after this time, so if it is a time issue for you at all, nevermind, you will get your time!

@BioHazard - Because it is some kind of super secret, you won't have to include it in the final credits at all, so continue just the way you did it before. But you could add some text note to the credits about the SuperSecret.

@Nightmare - About the DC: You know - as we all know - a DC won't be that successful at all, many users won't play another version just because of a few minor changes and a new map, so I think, we should finish one final version and make this one blast the doomers :) And about your help: Sounds great, thx ;)

@Chris - Well, actually, to make the map just warpable via cheat or console would be the worst idea of all the ideas, we had in mind ;)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nmn » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:58 am

Chris wrote:And a note about Nmn's latest screenshots: looking nice, as usual, but it kinda disturbs me that you're using the midbars (or whatever its name is) texture and making it translucent. IMO, it should either be opaque (they are metal bars afterall) or use a more "glassy" texture.

o_O

Nmn

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:17 am

Fear the power of stacked sectors:
Out of bed and back at work :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nmn » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:37 am

That's Zdoom or EDGE? :D
Brainstorm and Idea acquiring system activated.

Nmn

PreviousNext

Return to Levels