[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

where are all the most recent versions of all the maps? im going to a LAN party on saturday and i want to get a big co-op test going (not to mention just show off ZDoom to those weak CSers :) )

what tormentor did for the part1 files would be great!
Risen

Post by Risen »

After some discussion, Bio and I have realized that with this new intermission and stat tracking comes a whole new set of possibilities:

Performance rewards.

I was considering putting in something after you finish M8 to the effect of commendations for excellence, but Bio has come up with another idea: rewarding the player with actual items as you go along. Perhaps you got 100% kills and under par time in maps 1-7, the player could be awarded a weapon for map 8.

Thoughts?
SirTimberWolf

Post by SirTimberWolf »

Mayhaps collecting 'parts' to a special weapon over the episode...
Like 100% kills or something nets you a peice of omgsuperweapon
collect all 7 for the final showdown...
*shrugs*
It sounds like a cool little bit that would add some replay value
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Risen wrote:After some discussion, Bio and I have realized that with this new intermission and stat tracking comes a whole new set of possibilities:

Performance rewards.

I was considering putting in something after you finish M8 to the effect of commendations for excellence, but Bio has come up with another idea: rewarding the player with actual items as you go along. Perhaps you got 100% kills and under par time in maps 1-7, the player could be awarded a weapon for map 8.

Thoughts?
Sounds like quake 3 for ps2. I like the idea, but what kind of rewards? The player can get most of the weapons before getting to M8 anyways. I like sirtimberwolfs suggestion better, but it sounds more complex, and someone would have to do the gun sprites, projectile sprites, etc.
SirTimberWolf

Post by SirTimberWolf »

not if the gun was something that had already been done (the unmaker comes to mind...)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Hmm.. on that same token, it could be something to make an existing weapon stronger (much like the artifacts make the unmaker stronger). Like for every level you get 100% kills in, some "unholy" weapon you have becomes a touch stronger.

Or conversly, you could have doing good make the rest of the game harder. Like if you get a lot of kills, monsters become stronger and/or come in greater numbers, or if you do the levels fast, you start moving slower. That would make speed and kill runs much more interesting..
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I don't think you should be punished for doing well.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I don't consider it punishment. I consider it a bigger challenge, which would enhance replay value (after all, even if you can beat it on the highest difficulty setting, you can still make the game harder by doing better) which would be a reward.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Reducing player stats certainly sounds like a punishment to me.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

just imagine all the easter eggs i can plant into the credits sequence by looking at stats :)
cyber-menace

Post by cyber-menace »

Yeah, and I can just imagine the extra time it's going to take to release this now...
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Why? It's not as if Risen/Biohazard's work will affect anyone else's mapping time.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Adjusting the difficulty of the maps based on how well the player did is possible, but that would take a much greater amount of time to pull off. It's not a new idea; did you know that even Super Mario Bros. (for the NES) did this?

Right now it's still all my work, but Bio has been helping me considerably with logic, code fragments, and idea generation. He's still working on M9.

Pardon the terrible analogy, but I always wondered if rewarding good players by making things asier was a bit like "tax cuts for the rich." They don't really need it to be easier, they're good enough anyway. Something that rewards them but doesn't affect the gameplay itself is better. Generally secret characters/level fill this role, but we're limited in creating those types of rewards.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Perhaps there could be a small "E1M0" level you start the episode in (the dropship perhaps?), which contains various computer consoles. These consoles would do some of the things mentioned above - alter player speed, number of enemies, add bonus weapons to certain maps, etc.

To activate them, you need to insert codes, which are rewarded to you during your previous play(s) through the episode for various things. It would certainly increase replayability :).
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Man. I'm really happy those two weeks have been extended. I was afraid to ask, but I was in desperate need of somemore time also. Having 2 more weeks - gonna surely do it on time. I'm sorry, but Real Life's killing me. Killing me hard...

Return to “Levels”