[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

I think it's just a bunch of sectors which use the "Transfer Brightness" action with method 1. =P I use it quite often. Just *stack* *ahem* *build them with higher heights than the previous sector* and lower the brightness more and more.
Risen

Post by Risen »

It's this: [wiki]ExtraFloor_LightOnly[/wiki]
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Hmm, never heard of this feature. This might come handy!
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

The feature is technically incomplete, but as it's been used for this purpose many times, I doubt it'll be removed any time soon.

IIRC, randy originally planned to have this allow separate "light volumes" to be stacked on each other, so for example you could have fog on the floor, or a beam of red light that slopes through the sector and only lights part of the objects within it.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be too difficult to implement properly. As it stands right now, all you can use it for is to change the lighting on the walls, floor, and ceiling. It does not affect the lighting of sprites at all, which really limits what it can be used to achieve.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Even as is it'll still prove to be visually pleasing. The lava pits in KDiZD looked amazing with that partial effect.
Shadowsin

Post by Shadowsin »

I know i really shouldnt make this topic back up top, considering theres SO many posts, but im kinda stuck. Everytime i load Kdizd up in Gzdoom, i can get past the first level, but at the intermission screen it wont let me go any further. does anyone know why this happens? I cant select any other command or anything.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Did you try using the forward and back keys to select the action? A little message in the bottom-left corner cycles between actions - "Continue Forward" is the one that warps you to the next level.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you're no-clipping, though, it won't work.
Shadowsin

Post by Shadowsin »

Gah i had noclip on >< That'd be the problem. thanks peeps
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Shadowsin wrote:Gah i had noclip on >< That'd be the problem. thanks peeps
I believe that a comment such as

OMG U R teh cheatz0r!!!111one :P

is appropriate. ;)
dennisj1

Post by dennisj1 »

Since this already got bumped...what's the status of KDiZD 1.1?
Risen

Post by Risen »

Most of the core developers were fairly burnt out at release time, so there wasn't much movement on it for a long time. But things have recently picked back up. I'm not going to speculate on a release date, but a very large chunk of the necessary work was completed as of last week.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Would they be interested by a bunch of dynamic lights? 'Cause I missed them in KDiZD, after having been spoiled by GZDoom and Skulltag, and so made them for myself.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think adding dynamic lights to KDiZD is a good idea. All the lighting was designed without it in mind and in addition due to the complex nature of the maps it may even be problematic on weaker computers.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Gez wrote:Would they be interested by a bunch of dynamic lights? 'Cause I missed them in KDiZD, after having been spoiled by GZDoom and Skulltag, and so made them for myself.
Feel free to distribute your work as an add-on.

Return to “Levels”