[WIP] In The Deep Earth - New Player Classes!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JimmyJ

Re: [WIP] In The Deep Earth - New Player Classes!

Post by JimmyJ »

hfc2x wrote:Looks really cool, and the maps are really well done too. I just have to wonder why 90% of the projects out there are thought for a 4:3 aspect ratio? You know, most computer screens are 16:9 these days...
Not according to Steam.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Weird. The only person I know that uses a 4:3 display is my dad. Everyone else uses 16:9 (laptops come with that by default, and the desktop users I know use 1920x1080 res screens).
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Some Shots of what I've got going on in MAP05
Spoiler:
I've posted more info In the first post, But I'll ask here as well, Would anyone be willing to do Helen's voice acting? That's the largest chunk of what I have left to do with this.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

You could try using these values for the weapon movement:
Spoiler:
As of now, the movement looks like the bobbing from Alpha 5, and that is bad. Period. Also, the Tommygun as a Shotgun doesn't seem right. Anyways, that's my opinion.
zrrion the insect

hfc2x wrote:You could try using these values for the weapon movement:
Spoiler:
As of now, the movement looks like the bobbing from Alpha 5, and that is bad. Period.
I've been experimenting alot with new stuff like Weapon.Bobstuff and what's on the first post has already changed; I'll defiantly take a look at what this does. :)

I'm also goofing around with offset, but it won't let me do things like this:

Code: Select all

offset(xpos-1,ypos-1)
it's rather frustrating.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

zrrion the insect wrote:I'm also goofing around with [wiki]offset[/wiki]
I'm guessing that the Offset keyword was implemented mostly to have HeXen compatability and not for use in mods. I concurr it's rather frustrating, as it's definitely non user friendly.

By the way, you can use the "InverseSmooth" style with the same values I posted earlier. It gives the weapon a much more realistic bobbing motion (like in more modern FPS games). Anyways, be sure to have a look at the [wiki=Weapon properties]wiki for this[/wiki].
zrrion the insect

Mostly just code updated this time.
*I've removed the A_SetBlend from most of the weapons, and replaced it with an enhanced recoil system. (Which would be better, but A_SetZoom doesn't work with custom inventory items. :cry: )
*Grenades work like grenades now.
*Magnus's Quad shotgun was removed due to the impossibility of balancing it. It has a super BA replacement though. Magnus's sprites have also gotten swapped for this:
I wonder who this could be?
I wonder who this could be?
MGNSA1.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
though I'm still waiting on Marty Kirra for the rest of his VA, so Magnus isn't done yet.

I haven't Started on a boss yet, and I don't know what it's gonna look/act like either. I'm on a Lovecraft kick atm, so It'll probably have tentacles/be made of goo. no se.

The First post has been updated with the new Weapons+Monsters stuff, and is in a seperate .zip from the maps. I'm working on making the weapons mod half compatible with other stuff via named acs, and by preventing constant monster activation outside of ITDE. The code's getting streamlined, and redundant/vestige stuff is being removed as well.

Really all that's left is VA, and a boss.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

JimmyJ wrote:
hfc2x wrote:Looks really cool, and the maps are really well done too. I just have to wonder why 90% of the projects out there are thought for a 4:3 aspect ratio? You know, most computer screens are 16:9 these days...
Not according to Steam.
I didn't notice the date of JimmyJ's post when I originally wrote this, but I doubt things could have changed that much in only a few months.

Anyway, Steam fully supports what hfc2x says. When you tally up the result of the latest Steam hardware survey, over 50% of people use 16:9 desktop resolutions, and over 25% use 16:10 resolutions. Less than 10% use 4:3.

Here's the top 10:

10) 1360 x 768 (16:9) - 2.42%
9) 1920 x 1200 (16:10) - 3.47%
8) 1280 x 800 (16:10) - 4.41%
7) 1024 x 768 (4:3) - 5.20%
6) 1600 x 900 (16:9) - 7.24%
5) 1440 x 900 (16:10) - 7.51%
4) 1680 x 1050 (16:10) - 9.85%
3) 1280 x 1024 (5:4) - 10.04%
2) 1366 x 768 (16:9) - 18.27%
1) 1920 x 1080 (16:9) - 25.57%
zrrion the insect

I'm working on buffing the under-powered weapons, such as the mining laser, and Helen's "ice railgun," smoothing out weapon balance in general, and trying to differentiate the player classes even more. *The Icicle can now break a frozen monster and is a lot more powerful.
*The mining laser cools faster when not being fired, and does a a tiny bit more damage.
*implementing Samsara's Flemloid deathsnot that there are flemloids...
*Magnus takes slightly less damage

I'm also experimenting with jerking the camera around when the player feels pain, similar to Quake, but it's only an approximation due to the inability to roll the camera. I'm pleased with the results since they get the job done without hindering game-play.
I've also had the idea of making a different status bar for each character. I may toy around with that at some point.
I'll probably upload a new version of the weapons half later today.
Springy

Post by Springy »

zrrion the insect wrote:I'm working on buffing the under-powered weapons, such as the mining laser, and Helen's "ice railgun," smoothing out weapon balance in general, and trying to differentiate the player classes even more. *The Icicle can now break a frozen monster and is a lot more powerful.
*The mining laser cools faster when not being fired, and does a a tiny bit more damage.
*implementing Samsara's Flemloid deathsnot that there are flemloids...
*Magnus takes slightly less damage

I'm also experimenting with jerking the camera around when the player feels pain, similar to Quake, but it's only an approximation due to the inability to roll the camera. I'm pleased with the results since they get the job done without hindering game-play.
I've also had the idea of making a different status bar for each character. I may toy around with that at some point.
I'll probably upload a new version of the weapons half later today.
Sounds good. Intrigued to know what this deathsnot is though. Will there be new maps today or is it just weapon improvements?
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

zrrion the insect wrote:...though I'm still waiting on Marty Kirra for the rest of his VA, so Magnus isn't done yet.
Egads! So many things have been piling up that I completely forgot about it. I'll try seeing if I can do something relatively soon. Sorry to keep you waiting!
zrrion the insect

Springy wrote:Sounds good. Intrigued to know what this deathsnot is though. Will there be new maps today or is it just weapon improvements?
Woops, deathsnot was supposed to be two words, "deaths, not." As for new maps, no. I've got the mapping done, but I'm not done with haven't started the final boss, and I don't want to send out the final map until the boss is ready.
Marty Kirra wrote:Egads! So many things have been piling up that I completely forgot about it. I'll try seeing if I can do something relatively soon. Sorry to keep you waiting!
You don't have to rush. It won't hurt the game play any.

The first post's been updated with new stuff, both .ZIPs this time.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

zrrion the insect wrote: Woops, deathsnot was supposed to be two words, "deaths, not."
"Deathsnot" sounds like some kind of horrible Flemoid abomination. (not to be confused with the Flembomination)

Return to “Levels”