Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marnetmar

Re: Doom The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Marnetmar »

Devastator wrote: & Don't forget Doom The Way Midway Did :wink:
I'm actually thinking of doing a PSX conversion of DTWID once I have the proper knowledge.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I was thinking of an aesthetic that emulated Doom 64.

Any wads out there that make use of Doom 64's textures?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

I'm on the final stretch of Inferno now and I have to say, it's been a real treat. A bit easy breezy at times but that's ok, sticking with the vanilla style.
Big bag o' kudos for you, people responsible.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Devastator wrote:I was thinking of an aesthetic that emulated Doom 64.

Any wads out there that make use of Doom 64's textures?
A bunch, but a "Doom The Way Midway Did" really wouldn't work as a Doom2 mod. Fortunately, it wouldn't need to.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Doom 64 resources look like crap in Vanilla because they don't have any color to them. Doom 64 relied heavily on lighting to give the locations their color and atmosphere, and every Doom 64 for Doom II project I've seen just looks dull for this reason.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

I love how the boss battles were done in this.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

I'm liking this. :) Nice level designs.
localhosed

Post by localhosed »

I really liked all maps that I've played in this pack, the look of them and the attention to making each map fun. I liked E1M7 especially (formerly e1m5 , Logic Core) . Playing with Unnamed Mod by xtyfe , pinkies who surprise you and chase you from several directions (including flanking while the other comes straight) at intersections of hallways had me surprised and fumbling with controls, very fun map. I pressed the end level button with 16% health and healthy sense of paranoia just like when doom was new!
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

If this is Doom the way id did, then E3M4 would be John Romero in his "Perfect Hatred" phase. Really bastardly stuff in that one. Whoever designed that map should be popped in the head a few times. M2 was also pretty obnoxious in its use of damaging floors, but M4's crushing ceilings alongside those were just as bad.
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

Great stuff I am convinced it's a real deal, great job. :)
PFL

Post by PFL »

Had a lot to try in december before I could take a look at this one. I feel, so far (not much done), that the goal is reached; it is a '94 style maps wad. I see the Demon's first appearance in E1M3 stands still, the backpack and on and on. The blue orb takes an additional level to appear; nothing shocking, really. I really enjoy the work here, and it's ALWAYS fun to play old style maps when they are done right. Bravo.

If I could point TWO(2) things, one would be the amount of secrets being over the usual count, which made me look much more for them that the original episodes commanded; so it changes the original gameplay a lot.

Then, and this is personal, the original episodes were made with keyboard gameplay in mind, thus making the wad easier to play than if it was mouse driven. I know that it would have defy the purpose of the wad but, making it a BIT harder wouldn't have hurt in any way; I loose 10 points of health per level, maintaining over 180 since map 3 or 9...

Excellent anyhow
Last edited by PFL on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Same here. While it looks and feels the part (except E3 which looks and feels like a copy of the part) the gameplay was a downright snore-fest...in fact it could've been called Doom the Way KiD did, as I bet even the CoD-playing kids of today with no concept of real gameplay would have no problem staying alive (completing the maps without getting lost however is another story :p). There was plenty of intelligent traps (and layouts to go with them) but what's the point if all they contain is a couple of imps or a demon? Using the full bestiary throughout along with upping their contents would've produced much better results IMO.

E1 I was most impressed with, there's still part of me that likes them (just part of a balanced diet instead of a huge swathe of them) but that's where the difficulty was at it's worst (even on -fast I never died and only went low on a couple of occasions), sorry but Double Impact was way better. E3 was a little better on the gameplay front but suffered from too many copycat areas (if id had made a 10th map for each episode I doubt they'd clone bits of the other 9 maps, let alone an entire map as in the case of E3M9 here). E2 ofc was somewhere in between but not bad overall.

In short it's not a bad mapset and it did was it was supposed to do, but kept all the bad bits of the original game as well as the good.
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

Well yes, we kept the "bad" bits intentionally. The wad's supposed to match Doom.wad in as many ways as possible other than the maps themselves. It's supposed to add to the charm really, not take away from it.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Indeed, the difficulty is intentionally aimed to roughly match that of the original game. It is of course compatible with any gameplay mods of your choosing, should you want a different experience in that way :P
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

I hadn't gotten around to Episode 3 yet but I agree with "keeping the bad parts". It really does feel like a sensible expansion from the boys at id and I wouldn't mind more like it. Extremely surprised more tribute projects similar in vein to this aren't around...

Return to “Levels”