[WIP] "Hell on Earth"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zero X. Diamond

Re: [WIP] "Hell on Earth"

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

One thing that seriously bugs me about the second screenshot: through that gate behind the bus, you can see a vast empty plain of nothingness that stretches all the way to the horizon. I find this seriously creepy, but in a manner that doesn't quite fit reality. I know it's a work in progress, but I hope you put some kind of skybox around the level or something to make it look like you're just isolated in a section of a bigger city or something.

Everything else looks pretty great so far.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:One thing that seriously bugs me about the second screenshot: through that gate behind the bus, you can see a vast empty plain of nothingness that stretches all the way to the horizon. I find this seriously creepy, but in a manner that doesn't quite fit reality. I know it's a work in progress, but I hope you put some kind of skybox around the level or something to make it look like you're just isolated in a section of a bigger city or something.

Everything else looks pretty great so far.

Haha yeah, that's temporary at the moment. I actually did something like that more deliberately in a wad I was working on based on The Beyond (yeah, the Fulci movie. It's on hold at the moment, might get back to it sometime soon in the future though). I had a small segment of town, but instead of having invisible walls or anything of the like, I had the streets break off into cliffs overlooking an empty plain. But that was supposed to be a kind of inbetween-dimensions deal, so that wouldn't work here.

But yeah, as I said before, the vast empty plain was inspired by the end art of Doom 1, but I'm probably going to do some decorative buildings outside the walls, or just remove the walls altogether and make some other means of keeping the player within a certain section (perhaps crashed vehicles?).
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Updated the screenshots to show off a new sky, a couple new textures, and a new sprite.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The city's starting to take shape there. Nice.

The sky, is it a normal sky or a skybox?
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Looking good there, I love the texture of that torn down building there, very clever ;)
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Blue Shadow wrote:The city's starting to take shape there. Nice.

The sky, is it a normal sky or a skybox?
It's actually a skybox, but made to look similar to a normal sky.
.+:icytux:+. wrote:Looking good there, I love the texture of that torn down building there, very clever ;)
Haha, thanks! And yeah, the partially-destroyed building texture came out better than I anticipated, and really adds a lot to the atmosphere.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

After seeing all of the trash everywhere, how about making a wind-carried trash ala Hexen's tree leaves seen in Seven Portals? And maybe a blowing wind ambient sound to go with that?
Spoiler:
allan94

Post by allan94 »

Mike12 wrote:This is a new mapping project I decided to try out as of a couple day ago.

My goal is to basically tell the same story as Doom 2 but with some maps and level-design that actually look and feel like they take place on a demon-infested Earth, as well as some more gory and horror-ish details (such as being able to see the corpses of Earth's inhabitants littering the streets).

At the moment, i've been working on and off on some textures, a title screen, and an early proof-of-concept map to showcase the textures and sprites, as well as the kind of atmosphere I want to convey.

For the record, this concept map is going to become an actual map in the final wad, I'm just not sure what number it's going to be.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Globe (for extracting the Terminator: Skynet resources, I modified one of those corpse sprites for the sprite in the screenshot)
Jimmy (for allowing me to use modify his boss sprite that I helped out with for the title screen)
TeamTNT (I used the wheel texture from Evilution for the bus texture)
3D Realms (for the original theater marquee that I modified, among a couple other resources)

Any ideas, suggestions, and feedback would be appreciated!
It looks really cool!
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Ehmm, you shouldn't reply on a full first post, i've made that mistake ALOT before too ^.^''
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

It's looking really awesome.
One thing on the 4th pic: The ruined building, the area around it looks too clean. You could make some bricks or ruble on the ground.

I can't wait to play it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

...I just clicked on this thread while listening to this.

8D
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

"The end is extremely fucking nigh"
ahahahaha that's awesome
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Ethril wrote:"The end is extremely kek'n nigh"
ahahahaha that's awesome
I was trying to figure out where I saw that before, and sure enough I started watching 28 Days Later... AND FOUND IT. :mrgreen:
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The map is starting to really kick into high gear; I'm expanding the city and creating more buildings, I've made and edited more textures, and it's really starting to come out looking more and more apocalyptic. I added the latest screenshots to the first page. (Also, the theater doesn't look like ass anymore.)
Conmon wrote:
Ethril wrote:"The end is extremely kek'n nigh"
ahahahaha that's awesome
I was trying to figure out where I saw that before, and sure enough I started watching 28 Days Later... AND FOUND IT. :mrgreen:
Haha yeah, my taste in films is really evident in this wad, huh? :P
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Mike12 wrote:Image
I feel like the traffic lights are a bit too bright. Maybe you should darken them a bit... or leave the stop light on or something for a weird symbolic effect.

Return to “Levels”