[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Z86

Re: [WIP] The Shores of Zdoom

Post by Z86 »

Hellser wrote:
InsanityBringer wrote:I've never understood why people complained about the E2M2 crate maze. For a maze, it's very easy to navigate, much more so than it's alpha counterpart.
I actually liked E2M2's 'crate maze'. I didn't even really considered it as a maze, but rather a headache to someone who can't make landmarks via corpses. :P
There's also an automap, so it's not like you'll get lost or something. I also loved the E2M2 cratemaze part, and i'm curious to see how it's integrated with the more hellish influenced parts of that map. The memory i have from that map, is that there were always a few imps roaming around making their little noises (which was kind of scary for me as a kid :) )
Vader

Post by Vader »

We will of course keep the crate maze! I loved that part of the original map as well.

@Sodaholic:
We really don't care about weapons ATM, but I'll look at your rifle when we get around planning that aspect more in detail.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Good! Keep that crate maze!
Spoiler: Also...
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Well, Hellser...

The thing is, you'd still have to rip TSoZ apart to modify it like that, anyway; to make it so that certain monster spawns (but not the monsters themselves) can be replaced, they'll need to be made into completely different actors, anyway. Same with the weapons. So really, you'd just end up having to replace those copy monsters and weapons as well.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I don't think that would really work, Hellser. The additional monsters and other things are there because they're part of the maps; if there was a way to swap them out for built-in stuff without it affecting the maps they wouldn't be there in the first place. :?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

esselfortium wrote:I don't think that would really work, Hellser. The additional monsters and other things are there because they're part of the maps; if there was a way to swap them out for built-in stuff without it affecting the maps they wouldn't be there in the first place. :?
Was just a hope. :3: I hate to touch other people wads to rip it apart to get it to work with something else. :? Oh well. I can't wait to see the end result. *nod*
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Cant you replace even custom monsters? I always tought its possible when you load the mods in right order. That way you will only need to edit the mod spawners to replace modified actors from KDiZD instead of original monsters.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

neoworm wrote:Cant you replace even custom monsters? I always tought its possible when you load the mods in right order. That way you will only need to edit the mod spawners to replace modified actors from KDiZD instead of original monsters.
What they're talking about is placing a 'new actor' in the map, (I.E. SpawnID 667 would be a Baron Knight-with-a-shield-and-sword thingy). In DooM, there might not be a monster with a SpawnID of 667, so when you create a new mod for TSoZ, it'll pop up with a <!> symbol, so in the end. You will have to modify -something-. Either TSoZ or the mod you want to get working WITH TSoZ. *nod*
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Hellser wrote:What they're talking about is placing a 'new actor' in the map, (I.E. SpawnID 667 would be a Baron Knight-with-a-shield-and-sword thingy). In DooM, there might not be a monster with a SpawnID of 667, so when you create a new mod for TSoZ, it'll pop up with a <!> symbol, so in the end. You will have to modify -something-. Either TSoZ or the mod you want to get working WITH TSoZ. *nod*
You don't replace with SpawnID. You replace the actor itself (which covers ALL instances of said actor on a map). You could also try making a separate wad as an add-on to replace KDiZD/TSoZD-only actors, which I was doing with Hard-Doom for Scythe 2 (to replace the Dehacked monsters).
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:You don't replace with SpawnID. You replace the actor itself (which covers ALL instances of said actor on a map). You could also try making a separate wad as an add-on to replace KDiZD/TSoZD-only actors, which I was doing with Hard-Doom for Scythe 2 (to replace the Dehacked monsters).
So it works? You can just go to the weapon mod, find a definition of an actor and change the ...replaces shotgun to ...replaces KDiZDshotgun (or whatever the modified shotgun is called) and bam - it works?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

neoworm wrote:So it works? You can just go to the weapon mod, find a definition of an actor and change the ...replaces shotgun to ...replaces KDiZDshotgun (or whatever the modified shotgun is called) and bam - it works?
Pretty much. Though I think you need to load KDiZD first THEN your mod. I.E. -file KDiZD.pk3 yourmodfile.wad/.pk3 :)
printz

Post by printz »

Relatedly, I hope the new demon-like monsters and projectiles to be hasted for nightmare mode.
Vader

Post by Vader »

I'll make sure they will be :wink:
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Here's an idea: why not put everything that breaks compatibility (replacements of stuff, like the weapons which were only modified to use the bullet casings) with other mods (like a weapon mod) be put into a wad file which is then put into the main PK3, and if the user wants to play it with another mod, all they have to do is remove that wad from the pk3.

It's a simple and clean solution that would allow the conflicts to be removed by simply removing a file. (hopefully, the user would do this to a backup copy and not their only one :P)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Yes, because placing wad files containing anything other than maps into a pk3 is the right way of doing things. [/sarcasm]

It really wouldn't be that hard to edit a mod to be compatible with KDiZD/TSoZD.

Return to “Levels”