Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lzvk25

Re: Winter's Fury

Post by lzvk25 »

I'm afraid I will never be able to run this mod. :cry:
Maybe if I ever win the lottery, I will get a CRAY and try again. :shock:

Then again, maybe Pyroscourge should inform us about ALL his GZDoom settings as well as what kind of machine he is using. Really, I can't believe that, all the wads from other authors run well on my machine. But as soon as I try this one, my machine dies. :x

(And believe me, I have tried, I even tried editing some of the decorate code, but nothing)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Have you seen any other mod which uses this level of special effects on such a large scale?

The mod requires an extremely powerful machine to run flawlessly. You can try turning Dynamic Lights off in the GL settings; for me that makes the maps go from sluggish to playable.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Even with my setings on. I don't have much lag. Amd i have a somewhat mid grade computer. (probably because i play in an aircomed room im the dark when i play this on my laptop :) )
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

lzvk25 wrote: Then again, maybe Pyroscourge should inform us about ALL his GZDoom settings as well as what kind of machine he is using. Really, I can't believe that, all the wads from other authors run well on my machine.
For brief computer stats:

- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit Operating System
- 2GB RAM
- Intel Core Duo 2.6GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

For GZDoom Settings that I have seen make a difference:

- Dynamic Lights: On
- Shaders For Light Maps: On
- Fog Mode: Standard
- Rendering Quality: Quality

I really don't know why the lag changes such a incredible amount on different machines. My computer is by no means high end, and I still find the mod playable. Infact, I got no lag at all playing Tormentor's 'The Refinery', regardless of many others having it unplayable.

But in other news:
Spoiler:
Marine Infierno
Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Post by Marine Infierno »

lzvk25 wrote:I'm afraid I will never be able to run this mod. :cry:
Maybe if I ever win the lottery, I will get a CRAY and try again. :shock:

Then again, maybe Pyroscourge should inform us about ALL his GZDoom settings as well as what kind of machine he is using. Really, I can't believe that, all the wads from other authors run well on my machine. But as soon as I try this one, my machine dies. :x

(And believe me, I have tried, I even tried editing some of the decorate code, but nothing)
I do not know if you download an older version of the mod but I put it (in an old pc)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Marine Infierno wrote:I do not know if you download an older version of the mod but I put it (in an old pc)
What? :|
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Pyroscourge wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Cogix.png
Look, more laggy maps!
Friggin' brilliant. I'd ask whether that was a stacked sector effect or a bunch of 3D floors, but honestly neither answer would surprise me. :lol:

My only suggestion is that perhaps you should mention "freezing point" instead of "boiling point". :P And maaaybe round off/flatten those triangular edges so they're not so acute. Like \_/ instead of \/.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

A couple minor complaints:

Is the intro text supposed to overlap? If not than it appears to be. Also, could you give more time for the intro text to be read, it goes by a bit fast. Same thing with the intro text when you start the game.

Can the green hint text be made larger, it's a little hard to read and can be easy to miss.

Other than that, this is impressive work.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Pyroscourge wrote: For GZDoom Settings that I have seen make a difference:

- Dynamic Lights: On
- Shaders For Light Maps: On
- Fog Mode: Standard
- Rendering Quality: Quality

I really don't know why the lag changes such a incredible amount on different machines. My computer is by no means high end, and I still find the mod playable. In fact, I got no lag at all playing Tormentor's 'The Refinery', regardless of many others having it unplayable.
@Pyroscourge :
Nope, I already tried that, in fact, if I remember well, those were the first settings you already recommended a long time ago.
What I was talking about, is to actually take a good look at your ".ini" file in your GZDoom folder. I am sure there must be something else we are missing. :(

And of course you get NO LAG in the refinery, if you can play your mod, you can play ANYTHING !!! :shock:
(BTW, I get no lag either)
Last edited by lzvk25 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Marine Infierno wrote: I do not know if you download an older version of the mod but I put it (in an old pc)
Well the first version, when only part 1 was released, it ran without problems, but this last version... :bang:
Marine Infierno

ChronoSeth wrote:
Marine Infierno wrote:I do not know if you download an older version of the mod but I put it (in an old pc)
What? :|
1 I put the mod in an old pc and it worked
lzvk25 wrote:
Marine Infierno wrote: I do not know if you download an older version of the mod but I put it (in an old pc)
Well the first version, when only part 1 was released, it ran without problems, but this last version... :bang:
2 do not you think you should do a PC version old :?
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Marine Infierno wrote: 2 do not you think you should do a PC version old :?
分かりません
Ich verstehe nicht
Je ne comprends pas
No entiendo
I don't understand
WHAT ??? :?
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sgt Dopey »

I think he wants Pyroscourge to make a version of this for older PCs
Marine Infierno

Sgt Dopey wrote:I think he wants Pyroscourge to make a version of this for older PCs

exact
so others might play the mod
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

Marine Infierno wrote:
Sgt Dopey wrote:I think he wants Pyroscourge to make a version of this for older PCs

exact
so others might play the mod
Sorry, but no.

Enjay sums up my thoughts on a simplified version in this thread. At the very least, I may be adding in a few more options to turn off some of the special effects (such as the torches) to hopefully get it working on a few other computers, but that's it.

Still, I really don't understand why this mod plays well on my 2GB RAM computer while on my mega-super (8 Core 16GB RAM dual SLI graphics!!!1!11 :P) computer it runs about half as well.

And of course, no posts without content:
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”