Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Winter's Fury

Postby hugoroy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:34 pm

I was hoping for an update :c
This is one of the best wads I've played in a long time.
hugoroy

Postby mckracken » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:20 pm

also: map2 (unexpected losses) is a slideshow. anybody else getting extremely low fps there?
Last edited by mckracken on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mckracken

Postby Caleb13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:12 pm

No, but then again, I have 2000-EUR custom-built PC with 12-core CPU... :-/
Caleb13
Death will not be your end; your soul will burn in Hell forever!

Postby mckracken » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:26 pm

uh i dont think gzdoom is making use of more than 2 cores.
im running 2x 3.0ghz with a gtx 275
mckracken

Postby TheDarkArchon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Turn down dynamic lights. Those are the performance killers in this mapset.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby mckracken » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm

yeah it was LIGHT SIZE. Maybe it's because of all the fog...(which looks great)
mckracken

Postby mckracken » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:25 am

just checked out TheMartyr: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23438
this one has some great looking Ice themed weapons. (might break gameplay difficulty on WF)
mckracken

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 am

Caleb13 wrote:Like others mentioned before me, I think the new weapons are the only downside of this (otherwise very impressive) mod and not only functionally, but also visually. I mean, a pathetic UZI-like submachine gun instead of impressive shiny rotary canon? Plasma rifle with looks and sound effects like from 1960s cheap sci-fi TV show? Super shotgun which is unable to dispatch a demon in one shot? What year is this, 1998? I think the purpose of custom weapons was to make them better, but honestly, weapons in WF certainly don't feel like improvement.

Egads! My one weakness has come back to haunt me again!

I can certainly understand what you mean, and I assume it would be the same thoughts from the most passionate weapon makers down to the simple player; The weapons are bad. I have grown far too attached to these weapons to be removing them anytime soon though, but I will certainly consider the plasma gun sound. Never really liked it anyway.

I guess the original reason why I changed around the weapons was to offer a different gameplay experience. Obviously, not being able to one-shot a pinky with the SSG causes frustration with some people, yet I always found it to be an interesting mechanic to test your conservation of ammo. Swapping straight to 4 and putting in two shots finishes them off nicely, or you can attempt to line em' up to shoot through the near-dead ones. Of course, I am not using this as an excuse to deny what gameplay issues do arise from the weapons. I am pretty confident most weapon mods will work with WF, but you will get an either easier or harder experience for the gameplay, not to mention some cinematic scripts may break.

Ooooooorrrrrr, because of my deficiency in creating good weapons, someone can donate to my glorious regime and fix up the weapons for me. :P

But anyway, progress has been going quite smoothly recently, and now I have finished up MAP07A:
Spoiler:
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby scalliano » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 am

I like the new weapons. They renmain balanced, but in a different way and as such, require a different strategy to the regular Doom arsenal. Normally I'm not fussed on weapon mods, but IMO you've managed to make it stick.

Also those new shots are incredible.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Remmirath » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:33 am

Gotta say, I just recently tried this mod, and my god, the atmosphere is very well done.

As scalliano said, the new weapons feel perfectly balanced with the overall monster placement and spawning. They don't feel overpowered, and even with a greater firing rate, the gameplay still remains challenging.

Architecturally speaking, I've got nothing to add that hasn't already been said. It's genuinely awesome. :)
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby guitar man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am

Looks sweet; reminds me of Cold as Hell...
You think everything will be finished up by Novemberish?
guitar man

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm

guitar man wrote:You think everything will be finished up by Novemberish?

With any luck, early November would be a good estimate for a release. Not going to make any promises, but I only have one and a half more maps to make. Should be possible.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 pm

November? As soon as that? I hadn't realised you were that close to a release. This is a very much anticipated project as far as I'm concerned.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby scalliano » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Great! That's in time for the Cacos. You can count on my vote.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Jimmy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Your screenshots make me cry, Pyro. With a mixture of joy, excitement and a feeling of complete inadequacy. :P
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

PreviousNext

Return to Levels