Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Winter's Fury [New Beta Released!]

Postby Pyroscourge » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 pm

PFL wrote:I wonder if it's "needed" that we cannot come back from the last part of map 1 after we encounter Colonel x (because of the dying sequence that comes playing again and again); I had another secret to find. I also think the single shotgun is a bit overpowered by it's fastness (does this word even exists?). I just have to face a Mancubi or a Baron and keep on shootin' 'till it dies; it certainly is cool but ... it gives the action a no response interaction. You want to slow that down.

...Strangely enough, it certainly is not 'needed' that you can not go back. That's a bug. :P

Now with the regular shotgun, I guess I never really took the time to use it that much, as when the later maps roll around, you end up using the SSG almost 24/7. I can see now that it can just put enemies in a lock of pain states, but I guess you can look at that as a bonus. You might feel you want to use that one more instead of the SSG, but you would have to be careful if you wanted to fight multiple enemies at once. It's all situational.

Thanks for your comments, and I am glad you had fun with it!
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby lzvk25 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:43 pm

wildweasel wrote:I wonder if the problem might be from playing many maps in succession? How much RAM does your computer have?

Here are the specs on my machine :

Computer: DELL Studio XPS 8100
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 (Lynnfield, B1)
2800 MHz (21.00x133.3) @ 3121 MHz (23.00x135.7)
Motherboard: DELL 0G3HR7
Chipset: Intel H57 (IbexPeak DH)
Memory: 12288 MBytes @ 678 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Samsung M378B5273CH0-CH9
- 2048 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KP223C-ELD
- 4096 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Samsung M378B5273CH0-CH9
- 2048 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KP223C-ELD
Graphics: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730 (REDWOOD XT) [DELL]
ATI Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730 (REDWOOD XT MVD), 1024 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: WDC WD1001FAES-75W7A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD1001FAES-75W7A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: PLDS BD-RE DH-8B2SH, BD-RE
Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GH50N, DVD+R DL
Drive: Intel Raid 1 Volume, Disk drive
Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N, BD-RE
Sound: Intel 5 Series/34x0 Chipset PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
Sound: ATI/AMD Redwood/Madison/Capilano - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: Atheros Communications AR928x Wireless Network Adapter
Network: Broadcom BCM57780 NetLink PCI-E Network Adapter

I just did an experiment, I created an small mod which allowed me to have increase the duration "PowerLightAmp" to several hours, I concatenated it to the Winter Fury's wad and guess what ? The game was playable again. Of course, the fog and dust from the explosions were gone, but then again now we might see that the culprit probably is the the combination of the fog plus the dust from the explosions. :?

EDIT : Nevermind, I went ahead too fast, MAP05B is still unplayable... buaaa!!! :(
lzvk25

Postby PFL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Well you're certainly missing something. This wad is getting crazy. MAP 6 now. WHAT??? An ICY CYB..... oups. Talk about a surprise. "I guess you can look at that as a bonus" I sure can; this weapon inflicts much more dammage per minute/second/year :roll: than almost every other. So, that's what I was telling you about the impossible response from most monsters. It becomes a bug-like situation. Since your wad flirts with PERFECTION, you MIGHT want to double check that. A 1/5 of it's actual speed could erase that major superiority effect. And maybe not. It's not that important.

Also have found this in map 1

EDIT I think some (all?) of those lights have the same cut made by a light relection.

And I also LIKE the presence of the berserker in most maps. I fight a lot of different monsters with that to lower my ammo needs. Thumbs up.
I forgot to tell : the first boss is IMO, too strong. The third and fourth stage are too much I feel, for a FIRST BOSS.
Done part 2. I like the transportation ending with it's "staff". This is Cacoward material for 2012 my friend. Nothing less ...
PFL

Re: Winter's Fury

Postby Pyroscourge » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Spoiler:

Hey guys, remember me? :P

I had a little bit of inspiration after I finished my ZDCMP2 section, so I went straight to working on this again! The third part has still got quite a bit to go, but it should take nowhere near as long as the rest. Just thought an update would be nice for you guys!
Pyroscourge

Postby Shadelight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 am

Screenshot 3 looks pretty cool. :O
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.

Discord: Shadelight#4920

Postby Arch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 am

Wow very impressive screenshots! :shock:
Arch
Arrr!

Postby Zanieon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 am

The detail level is:

Spoiler:

Even with the computerfuck you created, this wad is still awesome.
Zanieon
Tamer of The Dark

Discord: Zanieon#3177
Twitch ID: Zanieon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby ShadesMaster » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am

Oooh yeah!!!! Loving the style!!!!
ShadesMaster

Postby RV-007 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:38 pm

I know this aint for zdoom, but the font in the intro movie could be a bit different from the white overtones.
RV-007
anti-13ashar_society, lol
Banned User

Postby Armaetus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I'll keep an eye on this, this looks good!
Armaetus
RDND, Maps of Chaos and Obsidian Dev

Discord: Armaetus#8512
Github ID: GlaiceOldSchoolRTS
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby insightguy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:26 am

..........damn... Do you mind giving mapping tips? Cause you map like your being paid for it!

And where the hell do you get such sexy effects?
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 pm

More progress!
Spoiler:

The design of this map differs from the others a bit; it is not nearly as linear as the others, giving a large variety of options to choose from in direction. Just thought it would be a nice change from the SHOOTSHOOT STRAIGHT LINE approach the rest of the levels have taken. :P

insightguy wrote:And where the hell do you get such sexy effects?

You would be surprised what you can do with the right textures, brightness levels and Translucent_Line!
Pyroscourge

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 am

The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby mckracken » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:51 am

opposite of the crimson themed doom hell style.

very stylish; excellent design; superb modellling. (weapon fx could use some work tough)
mckracken

Postby Caleb13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 am

Like others mentioned before me, I think the new weapons are the only downside of this (otherwise very impressive) mod and not only functionally, but also visually. I mean, a pathetic UZI-like submachine gun instead of impressive shiny rotary canon? Plasma rifle with looks and sound effects like from 1960s cheap sci-fi TV show? Super shotgun which is unable to dispatch a demon in one shot? What year is this, 1998? I think the purpose of custom weapons was to make them better, but honestly, weapons in WF certainly don't feel like improvement.

Well, at least the new regular shotgun is more useful, it reminds me of auto-shotgun from Stronghold (even though visually, it is just as crappy as the other weapons in this mod). Oh, and on a side note, the new SSG has ever shorter barrels that the original one, yet it miracuously has much lower spread. Not very logical, if you ask me.

But I'm looking forward to the rest of this mod, anyway.
Last edited by Caleb13 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caleb13
Death will not be your end; your soul will burn in Hell forever!

PreviousNext

Return to Levels