Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Winter's Fury [New Beta Released!]

Postby Pyroscourge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 pm

ItsNatureToDie wrote:Found two spelling errors, both found on Highway to Hell: one of them at the beginning when Markus asks "what dd we do now?"

Hah, thanks for the heads up on the guard one, but the other I think may just be a problem with the font, considering the code even states it as being right:
Code: Select allExpand view
hudmessage(s: "Well then, what do we do now?"; HUDMSG_TYPEON | HUDMSG_LOG, 96, CR_DARKGREEN, 370.0, 385.0, 255.0, 0.01, 10.0);

Clearly I am gud at speeling. :P

I am glad you are enjoying it so far, and thanks for the comments everyone!
Pyroscourge
Remember me when you're gone.

Postby Machalite » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am

The first secret in MAP02 has a small adjacent sector to it that's a separate secret; it also can't physically be reached, but it's obvious that it wasn't supposed to be there.

I think all the changes to the first three maps were worth it. Some rooms feel less abstract than they once did, the second map flows better, and the 'organic' touchings compliment what was already superb mapping. I got a real kick when I noticed the darkness rift thing following the player throughout. Gotta finish the remainder of the set now, but I had to comment on the improvements you made.
Machalite

Postby hugoroy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for updating this :D, I'm going to wait till release to play it myself though
hugoroy

Postby Pyroscourge » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Hah, I recall looking for all of the secrets in MAP02, and became very frustrated as I couldn't find the last one, which just happened to be this glitch one. :P
Machalite wrote:I got a real kick when I noticed the darkness rift thing following the player throughout.

I was hoping someone would notice this going on. Always watch out for him, for he is always watching you...

Now, I am still looking for some more feedback, considering only two people have given some so far. Feel free to drop by and tell me what you did and didn't like!

Thank you for your comments anyway!
Pyroscourge

Postby armymen12002003 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 am

this looks real good ill have to try it later on today
armymen12002003
That man is a spy!!!

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby scalliano » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Just finished playing through this and it is amazing. This is by far the best WAD I've played in quite a while and I can't wait for part 3. The boss battles were the most epic I've seen in the Doom engine, the visuals were some of the most striking I've seen and the balance was just right - a tricky thing to pull off with an entirely new weapon set. If I could find one criticism, I'd say the music on the level with the Spider Mastermind was a bit on the repetitive side.

On the whole, though, this showcases what can happen when a port is utilised to its fullest and is already Cacoward material. You can count on my vote.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:12 am

This was a pretty cool set of levels. My only gripe is that the weapon and projectile effects are a little over the top-

I have a fairly good machine, and the game didn't lag too bad, turning off weather effects helped, but trying to fight lots of enemies who shot projectiles (or using the plasma gun) froze up the game so bad that it was unplayable.

Could you add an option to disable projectile/weapon effects as well as weather effects? It would really help make the wad more widely palatable.

The huge entrance to the "vault" facility was really awesome, it reminded me of some of the vistas you see in half life 2.
Paul

Postby Springy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 am

For old screenshots this looks really impressive can't believe I've missed this I know what I'll be playing later.
EDIT: I have played it and I love the way you've converted the monsters to ice types. The gameplay is good and so is the atmospheric music. One problem (this maybe my laptop though) there appears to be quite a lot of "You fail it" signs showing up but other than that brilliant so far. Can't wait for the full release :mrgreen:
Springy
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Postby Pyroscourge » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Paul wrote:I have a fairly good machine, and the game didn't lag too bad, turning off weather effects helped, but trying to fight lots of enemies who shot projectiles (or using the plasma gun) froze up the game so bad that it was unplayable.

Damn, that's a real shame. I can understand how removing these special effects will improve performance massively at some parts, but does anyone have any idea how to do that while inside the game? I think the best I can do is add a patch in the zip along with the mod that you can run if you want to disable special effects.
Thank you for your time playing the mod anyway, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Springy wrote:One problem (this maybe my laptop though) there appears to be quite a lot of "You fail it" signs showing up but other than that brilliant so far. Can't wait for the full release :mrgreen:

Huh, that's odd. Are you sure you are running in the latest version of GZDoom? The only thing I can think of that could cause that is you are actually using ZDoom, which will hinder your progress quite significantly when you reach a 3D floor. :P
Pyroscourge

Postby Springy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh that explains it my bad. I probably didn't read that it needs GZDoom. I'm using ZDoom, I'll try it in GZDoom, btw I love this so far keep up the good work :mrgreen:
Springy
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Postby lzvk25 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 pm

In my particular case, as soon as the first explosion occurs for the initial entrance in MAP01, the game becomes unplayable, too much smoke and debris effects I guess.

I even cheated and got a little bit further but there was another explosion, I guess it was when the ceiling falls down on the player and got the same result, the player became unplayable, so much that I had to kill GZDoom from Windows.

I have a fairly decent machine and I am using GZDoom 1.5.6 r1307 (from March 11, 2012), and I tried disabling the dynamic lights, but that did nothing.

So, please take another look at the special effects, maybe many of them can be improved or even removed. I think the amount of special effects in the previous beta was more than enough.
Thanks
lzvk25

Postby Pyroscourge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 am

lzvk25 wrote:I have a fairly decent machine and I am using GZDoom 1.5.6 r1307 (from March 11, 2012), and I tried disabling the dynamic lights, but that did nothing.

So, please take another look at the special effects, maybe many of them can be improved or even removed. I think the amount of special effects in the previous beta was more than enough.
Thanks

Well jeez, if you played the original beta without problems it can't be the special effects that are causing the problem, considering they have not changed at all. Mainly the only thing other than bug fixes was a remake to most maps, which gives me no idea as to what could be seriously causing the problem. For a test, you could try warping to "MAP04B", and then try playing as much as that level as possible before it crashes. If it's the sheer size of the levels causing the issue, it should crash anywhere close to the start. Yet, as you said, the crash only occurred when the explosion happened. For all I know, it could just be a GZDoom thing, but judging by the complaints about the lag that I have got, I may release a patch to run with the mod that gets rid of almost all SFX anyway.

...And at my working speed, that will probably be out by the time I release Part 3. :P
Sorry for any inconveniences, and thanks for your time!
Pyroscourge

Postby lzvk25 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Pyroscourge wrote:For a test, you could try warping to "MAP04B", and then try playing as much as that level as possible before it crashes. If it's the sheer size of the levels causing the issue, it should crash anywhere close to the start. Yet, as you said, the crash only occurred when the explosion happened. For all I know, it could just be a GZDoom thing, but judging by the complaints about the lag that I have got, I may release a patch to run with the mod that gets rid of almost all SFX anyway.

Well, I played MAP04B and MAP05A without problems, but as soon as MAP05B started, it became unplayable.
:cry:
lzvk25

Postby wildweasel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:52 pm

I wonder if the problem might be from playing many maps in succession? How much RAM does your computer have?
wildweasel
I pay the bills around here, I can talk about the control group all damn day
Moderator Team Lead

Postby PFL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 am

"Any criticism is most welcome" :lol:

"The levels are rather short" :? Well, I like them short like that; it took me almost an hour to complete and enjoy all features included in the first level.

This is an amazing set of maps. I like the last skill level; perfect for a first try. I feel it would be too easy on a second run (for those who like to revisit). I wonder if it's "needed" that we cannot come back from the last part of map 1 after we encounter Colonel x (because of the dying sequence that comes playing again and again); I had another secret to find. I also think the single shotgun is a bit overpowered by it's fastness (does this word even exists?). I just have to face a Mancubi or a Baron and keep on shootin' 'till it dies; it certainly is cool but ... it gives the action a no response interaction. You want to slow that down.

Now, Elliott is going back in action...
PFL

PreviousNext

Return to Levels