[WIP] Vela Pax - Beta #2 is out!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vader

Re: [WIP] Vela Pax - MAP01 layout is DONE

Post by Vader »

Man, that map is really gigantic :shock:
I can't wait to play through it!

There's a midtexture "bleeding" into the ground here:
Spoiler:
I also kind of agree with essel about the 2nd screenshot...
KingShinra

Post by KingShinra »

...how did I just find this?

Mechadon...I love the idea behind Vela Pax. I feel like your style is something similar to what I'm going for, except yours is 3 times advanced in conceptualism.

You're taking Doom stock textures, and basically creating whatever your mind crafts out of nowhere. That, and the architecture style is revolutionary.

Look forward to this work. So far, 9.5/10, possible 11/10.

If I may offer some words of encouragement, dude, think BIG. Think REAL BIG on Vela Pax. Think of what's the most extreme Doom construct you can make, and exceed that. Keep going up; diagonally up. ;)

EDIT: Just saw the HUD status bar on page 3. 10/10!
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Vader wrote:There's a midtexture "bleeding" into the ground here:
Spoiler:
I noticed that, too, but then I remembered Mek's weird way of working on this where he's not doing any lighting until after the structures are done. So, I think it's a known issue.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Sorry I know I'm weird with how I do my lighting; I should have said to ignore all of those unclipped midtextures. Maybe on the next map I'll try doing the lighting alongside the detailing and see how well that works out.

The area in the 2nd shot was such a pain in the ass to put together. Initially those sections were fewer in number and larger, but some of the proportions of the other sections made it look a little odd. So I split the bigger ones to try and balance them all out. The sectionalized floor decors might possibly make some sense once I do the lighting since I have something special planned for them. Essel, if you recall that phased lighting you did in a w.i.p. Vapor map you showed me a while back with the voodoo dolls, I was planning on doing something similar here with the COMPBLUE portions of that decoration. I could definitely look into merging some of those sections back together with some tweaks to the smaller ones to see if it looks any better.

I appreciate all the feedback and comments guys :).
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Im a bit confused how you got the texture to bleed like that. o_o
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Do you mean that fence texture that Vader posted? It's just because the sectors on both side of the mid texture have the same properties (light level, flat, height, etc). Technically I couldn't tell you why it does that though. The way to fix it is to make some sort of change to the sector on one side of the mid texture; in this case, I adjust the light level by 1 unit (I can't remember if it's +1 or -1...which ever keeps the original light level visually the same).
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

It's +1. This is why (in non-ZDoom ports at least), 255 isn't quite fullbright (it's equivalent to 240 in vanilla), but 256 (or higher) is. Though of course that's hard to see in action, knowing that it's the case is how I remember it at least :P
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I'm not entirely sure what kind of bleeding you're talking about. Is it where the METAL textures have obvious differences where the linedefs meet?
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

esselfortium wrote:It's +1. This is why (in non-ZDoom ports at least), 255 isn't quite fullbright (it's equivalent to 240 in vanilla), but 256 (or higher) is. Though of course that's hard to see in action, knowing that it's the case is how I remember it at least :P
That's a good way to remember. I always forget if it's +/-1 for some reason :P. Though it is a little confusing that in Doom Builder the light level only goes up to 255 (when you do it in increments of 16 anyways). So I guess all those times I set a light level to 255 I thought it was fullbright...when it technically wasn't. Not that it really makes much of a difference since it's almost impossible to tell a difference between the two light levels.

@XutaWoo: If you look at the screenshot that Vader reposted, to the left there's a fence texture (MIDSPACE) in that window. Since the MIDSPACE texture is 128 px in height and the window height is less than that, the middle texture (MIDSPACE) "clips" into the either the floor or ceiling (depending on how it's aligned). In this case it is clipping into the floor, which looks really weird if it's not fixed. It might be kind of hard to see the effect in that screenshot because the angle isn't exactly right.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Double post here, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm planning on releasing a 3 map test beta once I finish MAP01 completely. So I guess look out for that sometime soon :)
Mechadon

Re: [WIP] Vela Pax - Test release coming soon

Post by Mechadon »

Triple-post...sorry about that :P

It took me the better part of the day, but I got one of my time-lapse Doom Builder videos uploaded. You can download it below.

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/w ... -jan25.zip

It's a hefty 121 MB file though so you may only want to bother download it if your really interested in such a thing. I really wanted to upload it to Youtube but I gave up after my gazillionth "unknown upload error", so this is my only other option for the time being.

Anyways, this footage is from late January. I worked on what turned out to be the south-western corner of the finished MAP01. I did another recording sometime in mid-February which I'll upload too, although it's almost twice as big so it'll have to wait until I have the patience to bother with it :P
Vader

Post by Vader »

Argh, I thought you released the test canidate :P
I'm sure the video is entertaining, but I won't watch it...I'm waiting for the real thing :)
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

MAP05 = :o
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Heh, sorry for the false alarm Vader :P

Here's something better than a nauseatingly sped-up video; an actual test release!

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/w ... xbeta1.zip

Enjoy guys, I'm eager to here comments and feedback :D
Vader

Re: [WIP] Vela Pax - Test release is out! Oh lawdy!

Post by Vader »

Awesome, I'm going to check it out as soon as I get back from work :D

Return to “Levels”