Unloved II [BETA1 released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blue Shadow

Re: Unloved II [BETA1 released]

Post by Blue Shadow »

chronoteeth wrote:Thats the thing: the whole mod is actually like that. the dark moody setting sometimes is just too dark. Maybe at least around the candles make it brighter?
For the time being there's somthing you can try:
Options ---> Display Options ---> OpenGL Options ---> Preferences
Change Sector Light Mode to Standard

----------------------------------------

I enjoyed all the music especially Pryer Halls', it's atmospheric and fits will with the level.
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

One thing that's kind of bothersome, from the video I mean, is a sort of anachronism. The setting looks like from a much earlier time, but the doors open upward like regular Doom. How about the doors opening like real life, everyday ones?
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

ZDUser wrote:One thing that's kind of bothersome, from the video I mean, is a sort of anachronism. The setting looks like from a much earlier time, but the doors open upward like regular Doom. How about the doors opening like real life, everyday ones?
Because this is Doom. You can't have doors open like that.

The first only had doors that opened upward. It didn't bother anyone.

Doors are a gameplay provision. Doors that open sideways are limited by space. Doors that open outwards are a hindrance to one's movement and limited by space. Plus, making them in Doom is so inconvenient and limited that they are only practical as a gimmick or a large setpiece.

Besides, Unloved doesn't fall into a particular time period.
Last edited by Salad Viking on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

In GZDoom you could come close to emulating real doors via models, but the only issue is that they won't block properly when open, unless you use a bunch of small invisible blocking actors and generic scripts to move them around.

Now that I think about it, it might be interesting to script up a demo of that.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

InsanityBringer wrote:In GZDoom you could come close to emulating real doors via models, but the only issue is that they won't block properly when open, unless you use a bunch of small invisible blocking actors and generic scripts to move them around.

Now that I think about it, it might be interesting to script up a demo of that.
Isn't that too much of a hassle for a door?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Possibly, but once you have a generic object and script working, it wouldn't be too difficult to add to the maps.
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

Salad Viking wrote:
ZDUser wrote:One thing that's kind of bothersome, from the video I mean, is a sort of anachronism. The setting looks like from a much earlier time, but the doors open upward like regular Doom. How about the doors opening like real life, everyday ones?
Because this is Doom. You can't have doors open like that.

The first only had doors that opened upward. It didn't bother anyone.

Doors are a gameplay provision. Doors that open sideways are limited by space. Doors that open outwards are a hindrance to one's movement and limited by space. Plus, making them in Doom is so inconvenient and limited that they are only practical as a gimmick or a large setpiece.

Besides, Unloved doesn't fall into a particular time period.
oh ok
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Salad Viking wrote:Because this is Doom. You can't have doors open like that.
This is ZDoom. You can.

It's actually possible to make polyobjects out of 2-sided lines, even to the point of being height-accurate.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

NeuralStunner wrote:It's actually possible to make polyobjects out of 2-sided lines, even to the point of being height-accurate.
:-? Really? That's pretty cool, actually. I wouldn't mind seeing that used in the place of regular Doom doors. If they always opened away from the player, then you wouldn't be smacked in the face all the time.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

In real life, not all doors are double hinged. :P
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

XutaWoo wrote:In real life, not all doors are double hinged. :P
So?
Salad Viking wrote:Doors are a gameplay provision.
:)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Salad Viking wrote:Because this is Doom. You can't have doors open like that.
This is ZDoom. You can.

It's actually possible to make polyobjects out of 2-sided lines, even to the point of being height-accurate.
how how how how how
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Just set up the poly as normal, except make the lines two-sided, impassible, and with a middle texture. You have to use Polyobject_ExplicitLine to define each linedef (IIRC, the normal ones don't work), but otherwise, that's it. And there you go. ;)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

You've blown my mind. And how long has this been possible? :lol:

(Since the dawn of time, I presume - I've just not been able to properly use them. The ones in Museum Raider? They're my most sophisticated polyobjects to date. :P)
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

I don't know why, but when I download the game, it says 67.8 MB; but when the download is actually in progress, it suddenly finishes and the file ends up being between 150-250 kb. What's the problem here?

Return to “Levels”