[RELEASE]The Nadir - a Hexen project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
otsego

[RELEASE]The Nadir - a Hexen project

Post by otsego »

Hello fellow Zdoomers and Hexen lovers,

Here's a short Hexen project I've come up with over the past few months called The Nadir.

The project was made as a personal goal, but I wanted to put it up here to share with anyone else who's interested in Hexen and player-created content. It should keep you entertained for a good 2 hours or more.
It features three maps, two of which are the main centers of 'hub' activity.

December 19th 2012 edit: I've recently updated this mod and removed most of what can be considered 'noob' elements that tend to be enticing to first-time modders. The new enemies have been removed in this newest version, and a few smaller things have been corrected. I went overboard with classic mistakes and annoying monsters, and this is the amended product. I think it should be a bit more fun to play, for those who haven't tried it, or did and didn't like it for those reasons.

NEW download:
DOWNLOAD HERE (3.7 MB) - v2.0

OLD download (includes Realm667 monsters):
DOWNLOAD HERE (4.1 MB) - v1.08

This is my first attempt at modding, scripting and mapping. I hope you guys enjoy it.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about it! I believe all of the bugs (save maybe a texture issue or graphical glitch) are squashed. In any case, if you find a minor or major bug, please report it so I can work to fix it right away. Please post all comments and criticisms below :).

Thanks for trying it out!

Screenshots (note these reflect the OLD version, which contained Realm667 monsters. The new version no longer has these mobs):
Spoiler:

Screenshots 2:
Spoiler:
Last edited by otsego on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 20 times in total.
el zee

Re: [WIP]The Nadir - a Hexen project

Post by el zee »

Looks cool, the castle in the first shot is neat, and I like those green flask/potions on that bench in the second lot of shots.

Looking forward to it.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Looks promising :)

@elzee - Looking forward to your second HPack contribution btw ;)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Yay, another Hexen mod that actually addresses it's core problems. (weapons and switches with obscure functions)
qwerqsar

Post by qwerqsar »

Looks beautiful! A good start, I'd have to say :D
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Looks awesome, at least you're not being too overly ambitious. :)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Nice work, keep it up :)
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Is that my Lava Demon I see working its way into a mod already? :P
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Nice so far.
If you would want some help with sprites just ask. I am willing to help.
printz

Post by printz »

otsego wrote:Cryptic messages and switches opening senseless gates/doors/passages/etc is also at a minimum.
The word cryptic sounds cool. I know what you're referring to actually, but it wouldn't hurt to still make some cryptic puzzles for the players willing to explore the map for secrets and stuff. It's good when you also need to solve problems, in a first-person action game. I know that original Hexen's examples just can't be called puzzles (merely switch hunts), and Hexen 2's attempts were kinda tacky.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Good to see a Hexen mapset that aims to be closer to the original game. Also one that isn't covered with fugly Heretic textures... hope you keep it that way.
The new weapons/monsters I could go either way on... would have to see how they work out in actual play but they seem to look decent for the most part.
I don't really like those sector-based lab vials in the one shot though... but I've also noticed it's kind of hard to find sprites for something of that sort that look decent and not like something you could pick up.
What features make it require GL? 3D floors?
printz

Post by printz »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:but I've also noticed it's kind of hard to find sprites for something of that sort that look decent and not like something you could pick up.
Most pickup objects float in these games.
otsego

Post by otsego »

Ben2k9 wrote:Is that my Lava Demon I see working its way into a mod already? :P
The Dark Gargoyle too! I couldn't have found them at a better time either, as at the time I was coming up with a few ideas for a lava-based area. I bumped up the demon's projectile speed to make him a bit more dangerous too.

Thanks for posting those in resources (unless of course you want them taken out, that can be done too ;))

neoworm wrote:Nice so far. If you would want some help with sprites just ask. I am willing to help.
I'd say I've already done the only extra sprites I'll be needing for this one (weapons, and their respective mana pickups). Thanks for dropping in with the offer though!

printz wrote:...but it wouldn't hurt to still make some cryptic puzzles for the players willing to explore the map for secrets and stuff. It's good when you also need to solve problems, in a first-person action game
With my current entry level knowledge of scripting, I don't think I'd be able to come up with anything very complex in this respect. At this point in the mod (there's a little over an hour of gameplay for someone who doesn't know the maps like myself... yay!) most of the 'puzzles' involve simply finding the switch or sequence that opens that locked door or gate that bars your way. They're certainly not right in front of your face, and some switches are more obscure than others, but not nearly on the level as what we've seen in the original. But with that and my previous comment about going back to review early work said, I learn more tricks of the trade as I progress through, and might be able to come up with something satisfying to place in there to scratch your head at. I'm new, but don't worry, the seams aren't showing or flying apart ;).

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:The new weapons/monsters I could go either way on... would have to see how they work out in actual play but they seem to look decent for the most part. ... <snip> ... What features make it require GL? 3D floors?
Yeah, it's hard to ask for suggestions or comments when all you have to go on are flat screenshots and text descriptions. In my own playthroughs I have found the new weapons to have good utility and even strategic value (well they should, I didn't just throw new weapons in without some sort of plan for them!). The secondary purpose of them, of course, is to have fun :) and they are fun to use as well. I'm happy with them, I dont think most gamers realize(including myself) that it can be pretty challenging to come up with a new arsenal or weapons that aren't totally out of place, even if it's only two like I've added.

And yes, there are 3D floors in use in many places in the mod (hah, including in those flasks you don't seem fond of), though they're mostlyfor decoration. Some areas could be reworked to allow for progress without them. There's also dynamic lighting, which largely attracted me to using GZdoom. There are a lot of dark/moody areas in the maps designed to be enhanced by dynamic lights from the lights.pk3 file. You can still see without them of course, but lights.pk3 was also included in the design decisions and process. These dark sectors don't translate over to Zdoom well at all... as I've tried it and everything is so much darker than it is in GZdoom for some reason (I won't pretend to understand the technicality of the engines). Also, the 2.5D environment simulated by Zdoom makes looking up and down in some height-oriented environments difficult.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, they've been great motivation so far!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Damage wrote:This is the second [third] time someone has joined this forum and released [shown off] a cool project the day of [soon after] joining with no precedent
Is there a trend, I wonder/hope?

8-)
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Nice work there!!!! Can't wait to play this!!!! Loving the use of new custom enemies, too!

Return to “Levels”