[Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hitmanx

Re: [Release v1] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Post by hitmanx »

Ok ok, i give up.

I'm totally lost. It's 2:30am and i'm going to bed, but i have to ask

Where the hell do i go?!
Spoiler:
Also to sum up this mod in 4 words

Atmospheric, unforgiving, punishing, excellent!

Maybe because i'm playing it with 'shooting monsters with guns' but this is one of the harder mods i've played and i'm SO SICK of Arch-viles. And theres just hordes of enimies in my way so i can't even get a shot at them and then -goes into a tangent- That big long hallway with all the dead monsters then you get the yellow key, that was really annoying. i had to hole up in that little room and miraculously i killed them all on my 3rd/4th attempt.

Anyway yes, please give me a nudge in the right direction.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Enjay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Heh

I got lost after finding the red keycard. I have no idea where to go from there.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Spoiler:
oh and
Spoiler:
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

BlueEagle wrote:Thanks again, Enjay! I've fixed the view and orientation, so that players will not stare at the ground when they reach the ending.

@chronoteeth: I don't know why the Cyberdemon would not fit? Maybe it's a matter or taste, but I found the Cyberdemon, Mancubii (plural?) and so on were perfect grotesque monsters for a normal human to fear. And I thought that the endboss with his whispering voice and shadowy look was perfect for the role ;). Would like to see what you had in mind, but your link doesn't work :(

EDIT: New version is up with some minor fixes.
http://www.paulinthenet.de/download/unloved_r1_1.zip
mirror:
http://www.gungirl2.com/download/unloved_r1_1.zip
Its just that it doesn't feel fitting. The whispers for a giant cyber demon feel off putting, and its strange to say this, but the mancubus feels more appropriate. Mancubuses feel like all their cybernetics are grafted onto their body, and its merged with them. Like their arm cannons feel like their arms, wheras a cyber demon seems to be less of that, and more basically that its just there. Like he was born with a perfectly normal arm cannon.
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

Well this is an issue. I seem to be stuck...
Spoiler:
Edit:
Spoiler:
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Can anyone help me. I didn't really understand what enjay was talking about. Sorry :P

EDIT: ok nevermind, i found it.

What mod are you using in your screenshots btw. The shotgun looks like it's from dbeauty but the pistol is centered where as that mod has an angled pistol.
BlueEagle

Re: [Release 1.2] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Post by BlueEagle »

@Demolisher: You are right, there was a bug that could lead to a block if you play it the way to did (I had totally overlooked that possibility). You have to go back to Halls Below (type changemap map04 in console) and find the red skull near the area with the yellow bars.

Fixed this bug and uploaded new version 1.2 now. Sorry for that, my mistake :(

@hitmanx: I've made the shots with beautiful doom 5.0 (the newest version has standard pistols instead the angled one)

PS: I'm still open for feedback if you liked or disliked the mapset. This will help me improve for future projects :)
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

I liked it, is this the only episode you plan to release with this?

If you are planning on expanding the pack, Fallout 2 is a good source for eerie music as well.

I'm surprised this is your first released mapset, the gameplay value is great, and it looks beautiful too.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Yes, this is indeed my first mapset for Doom (or in fact for any shooter out there^^), but I have made other projects and mods before. I'm glad you guys like it and I'm happy with it too. I have a few plans for a next Unloved episode, but right now it's not thought out enough to tell and I have to finish another major project of mine in the next weeks first. But I will certainly map again for Doom some day, because the possibilities are endless and it's a lot of fun :)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I like writing storylines and coding in Decorate. But my mapping sucks (mainly due to little practice). Maybe we can collaborate some time. =:)
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Sounds cool ^^

Don't know how far my own storyline for a next episode will be by the time I finish my current project, but I definitely think about it!

BTW new version uploaded that fixes a bug that might prevent you from exiting your bedroom in some cases.
[download link removed, see first post to download!]

Links in first post updated as well.
Last edited by BlueEagle on Fri May 07, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grymmoire

Re: [Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Post by Grymmoire »

I liked the .wad overall, I wasn't expecting the HR2-ish turn it took near the end, and the "hide behind door and shoot" tactics that I had to use to win most of the horde battles. One suggestion: It would be nice to have more room to move when I have large groups of monsters thrown at me at once, that was really my only gripe.

That and, the ending. I didn't quite understand it. What exactly happened?

EDIT: Oh and the thamuz fight, really easy especially considering that it isn't the first thamuz I have had to fight, compared to what I had to do to get to the final boss, it was a really easy fight, maybe if there were 2 of them instead of one...?

I know I'm a little late to the party with this post, but I didn't want to keep my opinions to myself.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I loved this hub!
Spoiler:
Thank you for making such a fantastic scenario, it was a ton of fun to play through and sort of reminded me of Metroid! Except terrifying.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Hey there :)

@Damage: Thanks for your opinions! You're not too late and in fact I love reading every reply to my little project! The somewhat cramped locations were part of making the enemies more dangerous and the atmosphere more claustrophobic. I knew that wouldn't be everyones taste and I've tried to make it still enjoyable. Btw I won't explain the ending to you, sorry ^^

@Zach: Glad you liked it and thanks a lot for your little review! I love reading those :). I've tried to reproduce the bug, but I can't find what might be causing this. Did you try the latest GZDoom version?
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”