[Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: [Release v1] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Post by chronoteeth »

Major props to the new ambient music for the second map. Really captures that disgusting feeling. What song is it?

EDIT: OH SHIT YOU USED THE AMALGAMATED MAN FROM LUSTMORD FOR THE FINAL BOSSSSSS OMG

I love you now
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, just got through it. I think that this mod is nothing short of a work of genius. It is absolutely superb. It starts off slow, subtle, creepy and relatively easy but by the end the battles are epic. There is always something new to see at every turn and right to the end there are new elements and tricks to be seen. I could go on and on about it but why bother? I wouldn't know where to stop. I think I covered it in my second sentence.

Do I have any gripes? Well, just one little gripe-ette really. Personally, I found some of the original Doom monsters and weapons, particularly the more sci-fi-tech style ones a bit out of place. The mod has an almost exclusively traditional old-style horror theme with lots of very organic feeling stuff. I just found the future-tech elements of the original Doom jarred with it slightly. Not enough to spoil it or anything and I'm prepared to accept it as being purely a matter of taste too.

Anyway, people don't usually start babbling on about Cacowards until much later in the year but, to me, this is an obvious candidate.

One very minor thing that should probably be corrected. On one of the maps (map02?) there is one of those structures with a skin texture stretched between two metal poles. Most of these are blocking but this particular one isn't. So, you can walk through it and, when you do, you can turn around and, from the back, there is no skin texture on the line. Sorry, I didn't take a screenshot or anything to help track it down.

Oh, and...
Spoiler:
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Thank you guys for your kind words! The mapset took me quite a while to make and I wasn't sure about if people would like the style I chose for it. I highly appreciate it and I feel honored to get such good reviews from you, so thanks a lot :)

@NeuralStunner: Yes, I've chosen a different track for Living Room, because the StarCraft themes are VERY popular and I thought that if you think StarCraft while playing, you get distracted quite a bit from the growing atmosphere. So I decided to change it.

@Enjay: Wow, thanks a lot for your kind words! Felt really good to hear that you liked it that much :). I've found the line you've mentioned (wow, how do you find stuff like that^^) and in the final version it will be fixed.

edit: oh, and about the player skin - I will have a look into it. I would like to force the skin to default for this mod, but I can imagine that players wouldn't like that. I'll see if I can do something about that.

@chronoteeth: The song of Living Room is "Dirty Knees" from The Devil's Rejects OST. Glad you liked my choice of music for the final boss (I heard that song and immediately knew it would fit the ending ^^)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

BlueEagle wrote:edit: oh, and about the player skin - I will have a look into it. I would like to force the skin to default for this mod, but I can imagine that players wouldn't like that. I'll see if I can do something about that.
Looking in to your resources, I think that perhaps I made a mistake. You have changed the player sprites and they just happen to look exactly how one of the skins that I often use does. So, when I saw dead marines and so on, I assumed that you had applied a custom skin to scripted marines (which is possible BTW*). anyway, my point still stands: there are a few places where another actor is supposed to look like you in game, so using a script and [wiki]Thing_SetTranslation[/wiki] it is easy to make other actors use the same colours as the player.

As for making the player use a specific skin, if you define a player class that doesn't allow skin changing, then you'll get a player that has to use the player sprites that you define in the player class.

*or rather, it is possible to apply skins to marines but I don't think you can get which skin a player is using so you can't guarantee using the same skin as the player.
Last edited by Enjay on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrphysics

Post by mrphysics »

Simply Amazing, my favorite wad in long time.

I LOVE the hub style gameplay, it really gives it a modern feel. The linear level after level format can get repetitive but this stayed fresh after several playthoughs. The sense of accomplishment as you unlock new areas and re visit older sections with your new keys is just about as fun as doom can get.

You definitely have my vote for best new mapper at the caco awards, looking foward to any updates/expansions.

-Chris
Meg@Doomer

Post by Meg@Doomer »

Looks cool so far, the Basement's Basement is REALLY dark tho. Not a huge problem but is it supposed to be that dark, or should I put my brightness up? Would just like to know, want to play this the way it's meant to be.

Thanks.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Thanks, Chris :). I always liked the hub style of Hexen and wanted to make something like that in Doom ^^

@Meg@Doomer: There is a simple way to get the right brightness for this mapset. Go to title screen and put the brightness to minimum. Now press F11 until you can see my real name in the top left corner of the screen. But of course you can still increase brightness as much as you like if you want to see in every dark corner ;)

Edit: @Enjay thanks again for the suggestions. I've fixed the look of the player + the player colors :)
mrphysics

Post by mrphysics »

My favorite levels/rooms for sure has to be lost childhood/childhood memories area and the halls below, the overall amount of custom art adds alot to the creepy atmosphere. I loved that clown looking picture that you used the multilayer transparency with. Makes it look almost 3d, cool effect.

I see the direction you were going with the silent hill theme, it seems to me like a cross between silent hill and Amittyville Horror.

I would love to see a mod like this taken to its full potential, similar gameplay but set in a haunted mansion/hotel or something much bigger and more extensive.

Again, verry impressive, love your style.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Something else that might be quite useful. Right at the end when my view froze and the game finished, I couldn't see what was going on too well because I had been looking at the ground when I was frozen.

Zippy's post in this thread

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25521

May be useful
Zippy wrote:You can just use [wiki]SetActorAngle[/wiki] and [wiki]SetActorPitch[/wiki], unless I'm missing something...?
Meg@Doomer

Post by Meg@Doomer »

Okay, playing further, I'm actually starting to warm up to the unusual style. But after getting the blue card in the Childhood map and then making my way to the room with the Chainsaw and transitioning back to Alone, I have no idea how to proceed. The blue key door immediately after the transition just leads me back to where I've been before. I've tried all areas in Alone plus all the other maps I've seen thus far (Basement and Living Room) and can't find where to progress next. Living Room has a blue door, but it's the skull; I have the card. Spoiler (even a hint) would help here, thanks.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Meg@Doomer wrote:The blue key door immediately after the transition just leads me back to where I've been before. I've tried all areas in Alone plus all the other maps I've seen thus far (Basement and Living Room) and can't find where to progress next.
Actually I don't think there is another use for it, besides getting back into that map and to the 6-key door. Check the Halls Below (Top of the stairs, in the office to the left just as you come up) for the Red Card, and there's some bars down there for the Yellow Card too.
Meg@Doomer

Post by Meg@Doomer »

Thanks, I totally missed the portal to Halls Below. BTW I found the yellow card in the Living Room map, not where you're describing.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Meg@Doomer wrote:Thanks, I totally missed the portal to Halls Below. BTW I found the yellow card in the Living Room map, not where you're describing.
I meant the bars are opened with the Yellow Card, but glad you got there anyway. :)
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

You know, you used a lotta stuff from realm 667, I have to agree with enjay. To be honest I was half expecting something like this to pop up in like the flesh world, but nooo. Plus, the cyber demon kinda feels unfitting. The attacks and sounds are all fine, but the final boss should feel more... evil/organic? Idk. :c
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Thanks again, Enjay! I've fixed the view and orientation, so that players will not stare at the ground when they reach the ending.

@chronoteeth: I don't know why the Cyberdemon would not fit? Maybe it's a matter or taste, but I found the Cyberdemon, Mancubii (plural?) and so on were perfect grotesque monsters for a normal human to fear. And I thought that the endboss with his whispering voice and shadowy look was perfect for the role ;). Would like to see what you had in mind, but your link doesn't work :(

EDIT: New version is up with some minor fixes.
[download link removed, see first post to download!]
Last edited by BlueEagle on Fri May 07, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Levels”