SLUT - a true story

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TimeOfDeath

SLUT - a true story

Post by TimeOfDeath »

Download: SLUT - 1 map + demos (ZDoom 2.4.1)

CHECK THIS PAGE for a funny gameplay + commentary video that two guys made for the original Half-Life Decay version that this map is based off of. The video is Mission Three.

Copied from txt file:

Warning - contains a sprite of a nude woman.

SLUT is a remake of the mission "Surface Call"
from Half-Life Decay (extra coop/single-player
missions that come with the PS2 version of Half-
Life). I built the map by loading the Half-Life
mission on my tv, counting floor tiles and
estimating floor/ceiling heights, and using only
IWAD textures/flats to try to mimic the Half-Life
textures/flats. All of the rooms that have square
tile floors are almost exactly built to scale as
the rooms in Half-Life. The outdoor areas and
the pink factory were estimated.

Gameplay is almost identical to the Half-Life
Decay mission. The Siren acts as a scientist, but
the dialog is different.
Monster placement is identical to the Half-Life
mission, except the cacos were added just for
fun. There are only two enemies in the Half-Life
mission. The monsters you face and the weapon
you use depend on the skill setting you choose.

This map requires jumping and was intended to be
played without crouching and no bfg-aiming.

Also, keep in mind that you can break crates with
your crowbar in Half-Life to reveal health and
ammo...

Amuscaria

Re: SLUT - a true story

Post by Amuscaria »

lolwut @ the name.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

It looks excellent. The name however I don't agree upon...
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Unfortunately, this is one of the single worst wads I've ever played.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Catchy name. Somehow :P
Mr. Tee

Post by Mr. Tee »

I know this is supposed to mimic Half Life style graphics, but those interior areas in the screenshots really need some kind of lighting, 255 everywhere doesn't look great for indoor areas in Doom (makes everything look 8-bit Nintendo-ish, which I like, but clearly not what is intended).
TimeOfDeath

Post by TimeOfDeath »

I'm sorry for the name, but it really is a true story. :)
Captain Awesome wrote:Unfortunately, this is one of the single worst wads I've ever played.
I'll bet you a dollhair that you weren't able to max the map with any of the weapons. :P (without saves)

Mr. Tee: most of the map uses 192 brightness. I know it looks kinda plain, sorry, but the red/pink textures look fugly with lower brightness until it's dark enough, so I just used 192 for most of the rooms. A few areas have some lighting differences, but they were annoying to make because of the small borders on the walls and moving vertices so that no lines are 90 degrees or 0 degrees - plus this was supposed to be a semi-speedmap with a '90s architecture vibe:

Thanks for playing or watching!
Captain Awesome

I'm sorry I don't see the point of spawning a bunch of cyberdemons with barely enough BFG ammo to kill two. The architecture is fine for the most part, but this just comes off as a bad joke wad.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I downloaded it twice to make sure I got the nude sprites.

There were a couple of things in this wad I thought amusing.
The creative use of pain elementals, the changing music and the fact that it came with demos. It looks kinda fun.

Edit: and the skill levels!
TimeOfDeath

Post by TimeOfDeath »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm sorry I don't see the point of spawning a bunch of cyberdemons with barely enough BFG ammo to kill two. The architecture is fine for the most part, but this just comes off as a bad joke wad.
If you watched the demos, you'd see that you're expected to kill most cybers with 2 bfg shots each. There is extra ammo for the parts where you have to fight more than one cyber at the same time. If you want to use infinite ammo, go for it!

Here's a demo by gggmork (he doesn't even use a mouse, just keyboard): http://www.speedyshare.com/files/207614 ... 6_-ggg.lmp
Captain Awesome

Why would I watch a demo before playing a map? That kind of defeats the point of playing it.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm sorry I don't see the point of spawning a bunch of cyberdemons with barely enough BFG ammo to kill two. The architecture is fine for the most part, but this just comes off as a bad joke wad.
It's because he's doing this as a sort of tribute/gameplay clone to Invasion UAC. Well, that's what it looks like to me.. You don't get any ammo in that wad except for on map 8, rocket ammo.
TimeOfDeath

Post by TimeOfDeath »

You can kill everything in this map without infinite ammo, but using infinite ammo would probably make the map less annoying on your first playthrough.
Captain Awesome wrote:Why would I watch a demo before playing a map? That kind of defeats the point of playing it.
My maps are usually really annoying to play without knowing where everything is and where you have to go, so I always include demos (it helps other players learn the maps more quickly so they can record their own demos). If you really want to learn the maps on your own, be careful. :)
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

TimeOfDeath wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Why would I watch a demo before playing a map? That kind of defeats the point of playing it.
My maps are usually really annoying to play without knowing where everything is and where you have to go, so I always include demos (it helps other players learn the maps more quickly so they can record their own demos). If you really want to learn the maps on your own, be careful. :)
If you have to package a demo just to do that, then you need to rethink your level structure.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Project Dark Fox wrote:If you have to package a demo just to do that, then you need to rethink your level structure.
Unless he's happy with what he's doing.
My guess is all you people who don't understand why there are demos packaged with the wad are not part of the target audience.

Return to “Levels”