Heretic: Curse of D'sparil released.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kristus

Heretic: Curse of D'sparil released.

Post by Kristus »

I am not sure if this is ok with the powers that be (seeing how it's not Zdoom focused) but ehre goes. If it's not OK, then I guess the mods will just remove the thread and possibly ban me. :p

You can find the original DW thread here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/4 ... 010-01-12/

Final version uploaded, you can get it from the link below or the /idgames archive.

-----------------
So. Finally it's released. I've provided an off idgames upload for now. Just in case I made a serious fuck-up with something in the file. Like shitty nodes, or whatever you can imagine. So unless someone got some major bugs to report, I'll upload it to the archives in a day or two.

Anyway. This is a full Episode 3 replacement for Heretic featuring support for HereticP, Vavoom, Zdoom, GZdoom, Legacy, Eternity, Skulltag

Right now though you can get it here:
http://www.doglike.org/zips/curse.zip
http://www.doglike.org/zips/curse.txt

I actually must admit I rushed this at the end. I had worked long on making a bunch of art for it. But at the end I didn't feel as happy about it as I had expected and I decided to just wrap it up and release it anyway. It's not unfinished. But some of the art is just not what I had hoped to accomplish with it. And it has already dragged on for way too long. I was for a while expecting to be able to release last summer. But as you can see, I did not do that. :p

Doomsday:
Hopefully eventually also Doomsday. (Because it's not possible to complete two of the maps due to Doomsday not having Voodoo dolls. I've not really tested the maps in it properly. But I expect it to work just fine once they get a new version that is fixed in that regard and not so much beta as they are in now.)

E3M4 and E3M4P:
There are two versions of E3M4 in this WAD. One that is for HereticP. And one that is for any port that will allow nonconventional map lump names. This is because I ran out of blockmap space like a mother fucker on this map, and instead of having everyone play a gutted version of the map. Only some of you will. :p

E3M6:
This map will run like shit on some systems. Sorry about that.

Anyway. Hope you enjoy this episode. The game play may not be everyone's cup of tea. But there are skill levels there for anyone to enjoy it. :)
Screenshots!
Map2
Map3
Map6

Coop session shots:
Map3
Map3
Map4
Map4
Map4

WIP page (with a few more shots)
http://wadsinprogress.info/index.php?a= ... s&wad=1162
YT video of 7 min game plkay of first map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsR5xhR6rA&fmt=18
Last edited by Kristus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadelight

Re: Heretic: Curse of D'sparil released.

Post by Shadelight »

Holy shit, awesome. Downloading now. :D
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Most impressive. What a pity that you dont want to contribute for HPack. I would really like to see a high end GZDooM level from you.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Awesome! I've played through a bit of this so far and, while I have basically zero Heretic-playing experience, I found it to be pretty fantastic!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

esselfortium wrote:I have basically zero Heretic-playing experience
Aww, no wonder you frown!

The screenies look nifty, I'll have to check this one out. :)
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I've been waiting for this for almost a year, and now that I've finished the first two levels, I know why. The levels are BIG. Tremendous. Challenging. And they push vanilla t its absolute limits (well, so ANY limit-removing port can use it, actually)....

I found ammo to be somewhat scarce... but then, I was warned about this sort of thing. The levels are nothing short of spectacular, and this is only from, playing through the first two. This is NOT something you will be able to finish in one sitting, let me tell you! And, that's a good thing.
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

Glad you like it. Hopefully you'll feel the same (or maybe even better) about it once you've finished it. :p
Vader

Post by Vader »

Sorry for the bump, but I just finished playing through this!
Anyway, great work for sure... the maps look incredible and the gameplay is hard but entertaining and I can easily say these are the best Heretic maps I've played so far (I'm not much of a Heretic player, so that doesn't mean all that much, but still... :P )!

The secret map was a bit of a let down though... in the end I felt searching for it wasn't worth it. It just didn't look and play as polished as the other maps.
Still an outstanding episode, thumbs up!
printz

Post by printz »

neoworm wrote:Most impressive. What a pity that you dont want to contribute for HPack. I would really like to see a high end GZDooM level from you.
I think it may be the same reason for which he QUIT the Heretic Treasure Chest... Or not enough time, interest etc. etc.

[rest of this post deleted by me!]
Last edited by printz on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

An impressive set, but I always end up running out of ammo or not finding the keys (in co-op).
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

Vader wrote:The secret map was a bit of a let down though... in the end I felt searching for it wasn't worth it. It just didn't look and play as polished as the other maps.
It's my brother's first ever released map. (also the first map he made in over 10 years) I think he did pretty good on it myself. :)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Kristus wrote: It's my brother's first ever released map. (also the first map he made in over 10 years) I think he did pretty good on it myself. :)
It looks good, but the level flows as well as a lump of tar: It's the level that took the longest for me to complete because I was having trouble working out where to go.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

printz wrote:[HPack advertising spam]
Thanks for this, really. Honestly, I mean it. Thanks for fishing for contributors to an unrelated project in Kristus's release thread. I'm sure everyone else appreciates it just as much as I do. Keep on making fantastic posts, printz. Literally never stop.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Instand Win!
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Time limits have prevented me from fully playing this through, but I've gotten to the second level and the concept behind that one was rather witty.

Return to “Levels”