[Release] Claws of the Enraged Beast

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Preferred Difficulty?

Tough
50%
Slaughter!
50%
Didn't enjoy either
No votes

Total votes: 6

Phobus

[Release] Claws of the Enraged Beast

Post by Phobus »

EDIT: Links updated.

Claws of the Enraged Beast (Quicky4.wad) is now playable in both difficulty modes, single-player and co-op.

Here's the links:

webpage: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik.html
download: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik4.zip

(uploaded to /idgames)

Right, now I have your attention, here's the idea:

Taking an ambiguous techbase setting similar to the one in Scars of the Wounded Prey (aka Quicky1.wad), this map is designed to boast the following:

-Non-linear routes for a simple objective (literally, get the blue key, and use it to exit the map)
-Have very good texture alignment, theming and whatnot (the actual words used when setting out where "Ok Morph, I'll go for essel-standard texturing")
-Have 2 difficulty modes (Hard and FUCKING HARD!!!!!(waarrgggghhh)) and co-op support for two players
-Avoid having as much darkness
-Edge out my usual randomness a bit
-Be an overall better wad than Quicky1.wad

I feel I'm losing you here, so have another picture:

So whats actually going on here? It's a ZDoom map - not extra feature intensive, but it does use a few scripts and stuff here and there. Gameplay is branching and built around a combination of traps, progression and non-linearity, in an environment sporting artificially sloped textures, three distinct areas, large amounts of interconnectivity and views into other areas. It won't have any instant death traps, and it will have most, if not all weapons available and some serious challenges. Expect some serious rape if you try the harder of the two difficulty modes.

To summarise - it's an attempt at being a step up from Scars of the Wounded Prey in every possible aspect.

Another screen, for good measure:

Last edited by Phobus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shadelight

Re: [WIP] Quicky4 - because Quicky1 just wasn't hard enough

Post by Shadelight »

I like the first and third shots. :)
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

Looks Great. Can't Wait.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

That's great. It shows how your texturing has gotten better with time. :)

One thing i don't like though are those box textures in the third shot. They're pretty pointless unless they're meant to really be boxes. :P

Keep it up. Nice work so far. :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

They are indeed boxes, as you may expect from a row of crates :P
Vader

Post by Vader »

Looks nice so far, but I agree about those boxes!
It looks strange to have them attached to the ceiling and if those are meant to be crates, I'd suggest alternating the color a little, like putting grey and green boxes in between to break up the monotony.
The ceiling in the first shot could also need some more work... it looks overly bland and boring compared to the rest of that area IMO.

Anyway, looking forward to this :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

It's probably not too visible from the shot, but there's a CEIL5_2 rack supporting the crates, with a small, tracked pair of pillars to lower the crates to ground level, so I think they're fine as is. Likewise, the brown is there to break up the otherwise fair monotone grey.

I'll agree with you on the ceiling for the first area, but I see little need to change it.

Also, more progress - I've started on the slaughter difficulty in a big way, with a lot of the top half of the map already being populated and tested. Barring unforeseen delays, the first release (approximately 90% completion) will be today.
Phobus

Re: [Release] Quicky4 - Slaughter! difficulty-only beta

Post by Phobus »

DBLPost: 1st release is here. Please d/l at http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik4.zip and get back to me with opinions ASAP so I can do the easier difficulty and co-op stuff. Also need to know if the music needs changing or not, as it is semi-temporary.
Last edited by Phobus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Okay, gave it a full run through.

First of all, i wanna congratulate with Phobus, who clearly showed his progress in texturing. :)
After this introduction, let's begin.

Graphics: architecture is really interesting, with tons of height variations and nonlinearity. Great amount of detail here and not so much textures clashing.
Overall, nice to look at. :)

Layout: it's been conceived well enough to be considered a really well thought map, with lots of interconnectivity. That helps with the feeling of the player position in the map. :)

Gameplay: this is the most interesting part. This seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta. Basically it's a slaughter map, with a very large amount of monsters that test your Dooming skills.
Maybe it was just me or my mediocre playing skills, but i suffered a bit of ammo tightness in certain points. At the end of the map i found myself against more than 10 revenants with just my fists. But all in all, ammo seems to be pretty much balanced in other places. There is enough health to keep you alive and to finish the map. Monsters placement is well-thought, with lots of traps and monsters coming out of alcoves. But one of the most excellent things in this map is that, even if it's a slaughter map, it isn't frustrating, thus it's very enjoyable and it keeps you entertained . :)

So, all in all, this map gets me a 4,8/5 from me. Minor gameplay issues such as tight ammo in some points rates it down of a little bit. But again, my opinion is not absolute, and it exclusively depends from my gaming skills.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Thanks Morph :)

Due to something I said I'd do on Friday, I am going to do Tough difficulty and co-op for both modes, plus testing and the webpage, all in one go and have it released on Thursday. I'll probably also chuck it on /idgames, as there's certainly no huge bugs or errors, and there certainly can be enough ammo and health on the hardest difficulty. I'll test Tough and then both co-op diffculties with me and my brother too, to make sure it works alright.

Any opinions in the meantime are welcome - particularly on the music!
Phobus

Re: [Release] Claws of the Enraged Beast

Post by Phobus »

Double Post: Been battling with LAN issues - but here we go. A full, and proper release. Same link as before, and /idgames will have it as soon as it's processed (cocked up the upload a bit, as I uploaded the wad, the txt and the zip (containing both of the aforementioned) - hopefully that gets through ok.

Enjoy :) Link in first post. Feedback appreciated as usual. Everything should be fully functioning, balanced and bug-free.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I keep seeing "Claws of the Enraged Breast" whenever I see this thread's title...

There's something very, VERY wrong with me... :/
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I read it as Claws of the Enlarged beast. That isn't NEAR as bad though :P
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

You're a perv, Nash. :P
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them