[Release] Ever wanted to play 5 tiny survival horror maps?

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Re: [Release] Ever wanted to play 5 tiny survival horror maps?

Post by Captain Ventris »

Morpheus wrote:I remember that thread too much well.
It was Torm to post that Transvestite hooker image. That was disgusting. :puke:
I have no memory of what you are talking about. I was talking about the Off Topic thread JTR made about his little... experience. For the short time it lasted, it averaged about a thousand pages of insults a minute. Good stuff.

Well, it was terrible. It wasn't good at all.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Captain Ventris wrote:
Phobus wrote:and thats just made me realise that, as far as maps go, I'm nearly as bad as JtR for attention whoring...
...no, you actually accomplish things, and have yet to post a thread about having sex with a Transvestite hooker.
Sorry for off-topicness, but what? Was that today or even recently?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote:
Phobus wrote:and thats just made me realise that, as far as maps go, I'm nearly as bad as JtR for attention whoring...
...no, you actually accomplish things, and have yet to post a thread about having sex with a Transvestite hooker.
Sorry for off-topicness, but what? Was that today or even recently?
A couple months ago, I believe.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Enjay wrote:
Xaser wrote:Funnily enough, I actually had the slight idea it could have been you for the reason Enjay said. I remember the old "Do I have a mapping style?" thread or something similar. Odd coincidences. ;)
Precisely the main clue that I picked up on.
And on that one, it is a shame that the main telltale was the reason I did this in the first place :laff:

@AlwaysDoomed: We have to all be new at some point, so the odds are a newbie could have talent at it.

@Xaser: You were right to play the skeptic :P

On here I reckon releasing something under my own name would get the maps more attention, as people know about my projects and stuff from before (same for you, most likely). However, on the /idgames archive (for instance) I may well find that the wad would be trolled less if I released it under a different name because nobody would know it was me :P The only thing is there that the archives are quite an unreliable way of seeing public opinion because there is always a troll (positive or negative) and not many people vote compared to the possible numbers of people that download. I know I don't alays rate wads, for one thing.

It'd be easy for somebody like T667 to be given away if they used the same process as me for a similar experiment, because of the way they make their visuals. Even if they weren't using their name people would still say "That looks like a Spork/Tormenter clone" or similar. They'd actually have to consciously try to avoid doing things that are obviously "them" in order to get the same result I did (and they'd have to not make a thread about it before hand :P ).

Wads like Virus are going to be unique to the mapper. That much was clear to me when hnsolo77 and mik57 made their maps and managed to make them seem obviously different despite the limited texture range. It was something of a given for me that making a Virus map would have been a little bit too much of a telltale :P If I were to retexture one of the maps to look like a Doom 2 map, make it so that it can be traversed by Doom guy and use only Doom 2 resources, I'm sure it'd quite easily dissappear into one of the multitude (although the basic geometric architecture would look pretty n00bish in the Doom texture set).

------------------------------

And speaking of the archives, obviously I've let it be known on here that it is me, so I'll upload there under my own name. So for those of you that have played it, are there any bugs that I've missed? TINY4 is the most obvious candidate, as I went through and rechecked the earlier maps a fair bit, but I realise I don't see fault in my own works as much as I do in others' :P
Vader

Post by Vader »

Seems I missed that whole wonoview stuff, heh :P

Anyway, just played through the mapset and I've to say I really enjoyed it!
The map sizes are just perfect for a quick dooming action, gameplay is entertaining and although the maps are more on the simplistic side visually, they do not look bad either.

I didn't notice any bugs except for maybe some nitpicky texture-alignement issues, like a cut off STONE3 texture in the first map for example. It's nothing too bad though!
Another thing I found slightly annoying was the fact that the exits are not indicated in any way. I was stepping right into it although I wanted to get max kills/secrets and reloading because of this is kinda frustrating.

Anyway, good work :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I wouldn't really call nitpicks bugs :P

The exits thing is a good point though, as I remember making sure it was shown in the automap on TINY4. There are no in-game displays for the exit due to the linear story thing throughout the mapset (having Doom style exit signs and specific rooms for it would break the flow in this a bit).

And thanks for the praise :) From one such as yourself that feels like quite a big thing :)

Whilst I'm at it, thank you all for playing and not being too bothered by the deception earlier :) I'll upload it to /idgames now and that'll be that for the time being. Maybe if I make enough of these I may revisit this wad someday and see if there are improvements to be made with the benefit of hindsight and release them all in one large collection.

Now to go and study MAP20 a bit to see how one would go about making something more of it...
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Captain Ventris wrote:
Morpheus wrote:I remember that thread too much well.
It was Torm to post that Transvestite hooker image. That was disgusting. :puke:
I have no memory of what you are talking about. I was talking about the Off Topic thread JTR made about his little... experience. For the short time it lasted, it averaged about a thousand pages of insults a minute. Good stuff.

Well, it was terrible. It wasn't good at all.
I remember that, too.

Fortunately, he won't bother us anymore. :P

Return to “Levels”