[Release] Ever wanted to play 5 tiny survival horror maps?

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Release] Ever wanted to play 5 tiny survival horror maps?

Postby Phobus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

EDIT: Links Updated.

No? Me neither, to be totally honest, but I have to say making them was quite fun, and at a total play time of under 7 minutes on Tough for me, they're easy to check out ;)

Download here: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_tp1.zip
Webpage here: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/tiny.html

I was indeed Wonoview ;)

Tiny Pack 1 (Tiny Chances of Survival) is a 5 map episode of small (well, tiny :P) maps that follow a story, a theme and a semi-survival horror gameplay style. You may well have played the previous 4 maps in the other thread, so if you have you'll know roughly what to expect for the final map.

Changes:

-Added Episode Info
-Put all maps and resources together in one wad
-New text file for the entire pack, rather than one for each map
-Added evenlighting for each map
-Fixed a texturing error in TINY1
-Hid portal effect in TINY1 so that you can't see it on the map without cheating
-Added TINY4 and ENDE1 (the latter being an "end map" in the vein of my CREDMAPs from other WADs such as Scourge and Virus)

Enjoy! :)

(No screens because 4 of the maps have alreayd been shown, as have the additional graphics)

---------------

And my conclusion drawn from the experiment was that I am indeed correct - I don't have a fixed or established mapping style. Erratic or flexible are fair choices of words for what I do :P Sorry if anybody was tricked into playing my maps when they hate me or whatever, but in the interests of experimentation, thats how it goes! :P I also noted that at one point the downloads were half that for the previous map (ie. Tiny0.zip had 44 d/ls, Tiny1.wad had 22, Tiny2.wad had 11...), though thats gone now. Have to say the mapping is fun for little things like that. May well have to do some more of these one day!

Next project for me is to indeed do a map for AlwaysDoomed's ZDoom meets Doom 2 project... though I'm not too sure which one yet, so I'll have to think about that a bit.
Last edited by Phobus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Re: [Release] Ever wanted to play 5 tiny survival horror maps?

Postby Remmirath » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:46 pm

DECEIVER!!! :P

Heh, let's see how the last map is, James. :)
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Enjay » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Phobus wrote:I was indeed Wonoview ;)

I have to admit that I didn't guess who Wonoview was from the style of the maps. However, the style of the experiement screamed "I'm Phobus" to me. ;)

Looking forward to playing all 5. :)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Phobus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:26 pm

You do raise a good point there... and thats just made me realise that, as far as maps go, I'm nearly as bad as JtR for attention whoring...

[/go go gadget depression] :cry:
Phobus

Postby Captain Ventris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Phobus wrote:and thats just made me realise that, as far as maps go, I'm nearly as bad as JtR for attention whoring...

...no, you actually accomplish things, and have yet to post a thread about having sex with a Transvestite hooker. Virus was genius.
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby Nash » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:and have yet to post a thread about having sex with a Transvestite hooker

XD XD XD

I remember that thread. :puke:

Great set of maps, Phobus. Nice and quick... will play more later. Oh and good job on the deception. :P
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Phobus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:...and have yet to post a thread about having sex with a Transvestite hooker.

Best scratch that one from my to do list then! :? (I think I remember that thread... might not have read it properly though :P)
Phobus

Postby Remmirath » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I remember that thread too much well.
It was Torm to post that Transvestite hooker image. That was disgusting. :puke:
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby SoulCrow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Certainly had me fooled. After someone suggested you in the other thread, the signs just became all too clear and obvious. The main reason I thought it was Tormentor was because I recall him thinking - at some point - that if he were to release some maps under an alternative guise, then some of his critics might play the maps and they might like them (instead of being turned off immediately just because they saw Tormentor as the author).

It certainly seems that it is quite refreshing for authors to "get back-to-basics" and do something small and fairly light-hearted.
SoulCrow
Actually...

Postby Phobus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Actually the post you are remembering may well have been me too, as the post I made like that was indeed why I did this in the first place (seems I make projects out of most of my random comments :? )
Phobus

Postby Firewolf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Gave me a feeling of nostalgia for some reason. Would play again.
Firewolf
Strife Peasant; Rocking out since 1996

Postby Xaser » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Funnily enough, I actually had the slight idea it could have been you for the reason Enjay said. I remember the old "Do I have a mapping style?" thread or something similar. Odd coincidences. ;)

It is an odd question to think about, though. Is the quality of a project that much affected by who the author is? I'm sure it has a slight impact when it comes to in-forum releases, though is it enough to really notice? Suppose I were to release two high-quality, similar weapon mods: one under my name, and one under a pseudonym. Would the "Xaser" branded one attract more attention simply because I have a known history of such? And what happens when the poor fake is accused of ripping me off? :P

I guess it may affect "word of mouth" to some extent, though in the long run, if a project stands out enough on its own, it really doesn't matter who it is who did it -- people will remember, somehow. And for the record, Virus is one of the most original wads I've seen around in a long while, simply for its style. So in that aspect, you've certainly suceeded in creating something memorable from that. It's tough as a mapper to create a simple, tiny level without using any giveaway trademarks and still have a player recognize your style. I wouldn't be able to pull it off unless I filled mine with infamous void spaces and skyfloors everywhere, for example. :P

All in all, an interesting experiement, I must admit.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Enjay » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Xaser wrote:Funnily enough, I actually had the slight idea it could have been you for the reason Enjay said. I remember the old "Do I have a mapping style?" thread or something similar. Odd coincidences. ;)

Precisely the main clue that I picked up on.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Unholypimpin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 pm

i was hoping you were new, because it gave me hope that even new people can shine :D

i enjoyed your maps none the less, and dont think anything lower about them just because you turned out to be a pro mapper.
Unholypimpin
The GutterGhost is coming over for dinner, are you prepared?

Postby esselfortium » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 pm

AlwaysDoomed wrote:i was hoping you were new, because it gave me hope that even new people can shine :D

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12597
They can. :wink:
esselfortium

Next

Return to Levels