KDiP (Knee Deep In Phobos) [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: E1remake KDiP (Knee Deep In Phobos) [WIP]

Postby Unknown_Assassin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:21 pm

CaptainToenail wrote:Too many, what's wrong with the Entryway? :?

No Shotgunguys?
Unknown_Assassin
Bow down to the Protoss Race!!

Postby Ethril » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Unknown_Assassin wrote:
No Shotgunguys?

But it has a secret with a shotgun in it! And a chainsaw! And a rocket launcher!
Ethril
F1

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 pm

I don't like doom2 maps Gameplay has little to be desired as well EP1 was by far the best. Doom2 is just random textured maps with okay gameplay.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Re: KDiP (Knee Deep In Phobos) [RELEASED]

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Tue May 19, 2009 8:32 pm

This wad is complete check first post for download.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby esselfortium » Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 pm

FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:I don't like doom2 maps Gameplay has little to be desired as well EP1 was by far the best. Doom2 is just random textured maps with okay gameplay.

And, keeping with the tradition of making things worse when we remake them, Knee-Deep in Phobos is just misaligned startan3-textured rooms connected via long, winding, linear hallways that lead nowhere but to dead-end rooms with switches that I don't know what they did, and keys to doors I haven't seen. I thought KDiZD had some pretty major layout and gameplay issues, but playing this I see you've upped the ante even further! (In the really bad way!)

Also, kudos on putting your secret exit on map03 and including a ZDoom-only grenade launcher, thus ensuring that the gameplay balance will be completely different depending on the sourceport we try to play it in!

Also also, Boom-compatible means nearly everything can play it, but "PrBoom compatible" guarantees nothing. Particularly considering that it's not actually even PrBoom compatible, if I can't even access the secret level from it.

:shrug:
esselfortium

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Wed May 20, 2009 5:26 am

Grenade launcher? I replaced that with a rifle.
As for the secret map... I have no Idea how to make the player go to it without mapinfo...
Perhaps you being an expert on vanilla, boom and eternity mapping can give me a few guide lines if its not too much to ask. Any info or help is highly appreciated.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Pedro vc » Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm

See revenants and mancubus in a remake of Knee Deep in the dead is pretty strange :?
Anyway, this is a great wad (i love KDITD remakes of any type), good work :wink:
Pedro vc

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed it :P
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Mik57 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Alright, here's my review:

Its a good group of beginner maps. Some of the areas were decent looking, and were a bit fun to play.

The things that need improvement, and VAST improvement at that, is texture aligning. Almost every single corner of every corner had alignment issues. A lot of parts in the maps didn't make much sense, either. For instance:

(The images are a bit big)

Spoiler:

#1: This makes no sense. The stairway is leading up and to the left, but on the outside, it looks like the building is tiny, so it seems like the stairway would lead to nothing. Plus, the inside ceiling of the building is higher than the outside ceiling of the building, making even less sense.A bit hard to describe, but I think people can understand what I mean.

#2: Texture misalignment. I see these EVERYWHERE, on corners, doorways, and detail breaks in the wall. This particular misalignment would be easily fixed by adding a bit more width to the building there.

Another example of odd logic:

Spoiler:

#1: The upper door is apparently magic, because it has risen up, and disappeared. I'm not too good at describing it, but I'm pretty sure everyone, especially Esselfortium, can see what I mean. As a matter of fact, this entire door looks kinda funky, and a bit ugly. The upper texture's alignment is kinda bad, and the texture choice for the building itself is a bit bad.

#2. Another generic misalignment, making the outside of this building all the uglier. Easily fixed by reshaping the building a bit, or replacing the texture with something else.

As a side note, the window is ugly too. You didn't upper/lower unpeg it, did you? :P

Texture alignment is one of the, if not, THE most important thing to detailing a map. If you don't have proper texture alignment, it doesn't matter how many linedefs/sectors you have for detail, it will still look ugly.

About the gameplay, its a bit broken up due to me not knowing which switch does what, and wandering around for quite a bit not knowing where to go.

Detail: 5/10
Gameplay: 5.5/10

I don't mean to be cruel, but your mapping needs a bit of improvement. The maps were a bit fun to play, but there were a lot of things that could have been improved. Maybe some more traps, or something. Most of the time, it was just me firing at monsters in front of me, taking a hit every once in a while, but I wasn't challenged that much. The crappy alignment on a bunch of things kinda made the atmosphere go away, and the repetitiveness of the entire thing kinda bored me. It's alright, especially for a newbie map pack, but your skills need a bit of tuning up.

Sorry for the wall of text :P.
Mik57
Play Sigmata. It eats children.

Postby theDooMguy47 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm

boy, didn't expect to see so many negative reviews of this.
There were some texture issues but IMO the gameplay is pretty good.
theDooMguy47
Are you threatening me!?

Postby NovaDragon » Mon May 25, 2009 11:30 pm

I can see what people mean with the texture alignments, it does seem pretty strange but it doesnt bother me as much as other people as gameplay does to me. Anyhow i thought it was pretty good, even with doom 2 enemies everyonce in a while, i did only die once and never did seem terribly challenging. I do agree with a few more traps but i would give 9.0 / 10 on gameplay for me. I did have a blast playing it and it was challenging enough to keep me on my toes every now and then. Just try for the texture alignment though :wink:

One thing i did forget to mention is your pyrodemon variant in the final map is a bit overkill. The volley of projectiles is bad enough but having the arhvile attack as well is overkill especially with there hp amount. I would suggest eliminating the vile attack or maybe using the actual pyrodemon. (that would be lethal enough with just 1 of them)
NovaDragon

Postby Mik57 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, I'm not trying to say it sucked, I'm just trying to give constructive criticism. It was alright, and I had fun while playing it, I'm just trying to point out some things to improve on.
Mik57
Play Sigmata. It eats children.

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm

@Mik If you take a look at Map01 and Map07, you'll see a vast difference in quality. Map07 is one of the better looking and playing levels. Hell even map05 looks a whole lot better. KDiP.wad was a fun learning experience for me.
Spoiler:

As you can see I used Lower and Upper unpeged on the tech walls, windows, Rather than using the support2 texture.
Although the feedback is very appreciated :wink:
@Nova Dragon

I wanted a really cool finalboss, I remember the first time I played that level, I remember when the baron's of hell ripped through me within seconds. My goal was to recreate that really hard fight. Overkill? No. Sure its exaggerated, but do you remember how tough it was the first time you fought the two baron's of hell?
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Previous

Return to Levels