KDiP (Knee Deep In Phobos) [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: E1remake [WIP]

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Eriance wrote:It's very difficult to ascess the quality of the maps without any ingame screen shots. A layout tells very little other than a very generic way of how the player progresses. To make it simple, the entire map, as I see it, can be all 128 tall sectors without any floor or ceiling height variations that all use the BROWN texture right now. It's impossible to say anything about the actual quality at this point.

Fixed.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Lolo_is_cool » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Eriance wrote:It's very difficult to ascess the quality of the maps without any ingame screen shots. A layout tells very little other than a very generic way of how the player progresses. To make it simple, the entire map, as I see it, can be all 128 tall sectors without any floor or ceiling height variations that all use the BROWN texture right now. It's impossible to say anything about the actual quality at this point.

I also agree :?
Lolo_is_cool
O hai Doggy

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Lolo_is_cool wrote:

lolo you might want to remove or change your post considering I added gameplay screenshots 20 minutes prior to your reply.Not Only that but I also replied to Eriance saying that the screenshot issue was fixed.I'm starting to get frustrated with the replies I'm getting.None of them tell me how to improve my maps,or any suggestions on better gameplay.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Jaws » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 pm

i'd like to see that ReblDomakr's UAC extended one day and finished.
Jaws
Chiyo Chan
Banned User

Postby Lolo_is_cool » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:17 pm

FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:
Lolo_is_cool wrote:

lolo you might want to remove or change your post considering I added gameplay screenshots 20 minutes prior to your reply.Not Only that but I also replied to Eriance saying that the screenshot issue was fixed.I'm starting to get frustrated with the replies I'm getting.None of them tell me how to improve my maps,or any suggestions on better gameplay.

don't try to create drama. i just agreed to Eriance's post :|
Lolo_is_cool
O hai Doggy

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Lolo_is_cool wrote:don't try to create drama. i just agreed to Eriance's post :|

I wasn't trying to create drama.If you took the time to check you'd see gameplay screenshots (not just sectors).I Hope the next comment on this thread is actual constructive "gameplay" criticism ,and not "your thread is missing this and that"Ironicly I never had this problem on the skulltag forums...
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby DBThanatos » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:49 pm

First, you need to stop saying "give feedback! stop derailing", etc. because all you get is comments like this where the poster say "stop doing that, you wont get what you want like that".

Anyway, about the screenshots, sorry to tell you that those ingame shots show nothing. Just a couple rooms (and I must say): not impressive at all. Try to find the best looking room in the map and post a shot of it, in that way you'll get more interest than random rooms with nothing to show.

EDIT: Ok, i just tried the demo. I liked map01 in general. It was nice. But map02 felt a bit too empty. Some of the textures were repeaded for far too long, and the ceilings need some decoration. Also, why nazis in map02? I did not play the map, I just went through watching all the architecture. I saw a missing textures problem in map02 in near the end of the map. I'll give details later.
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 pm

DBThanatos wrote:First, you need to stop saying "give feedback! stop derailing", etc. because all you get is comments like this where the poster say "stop doing that, you wont get what you want like that".

Anyway, about the screenshots, sorry to tell you that those ingame shots show nothing. Just a couple rooms (and I must say): not impressive at all. Try to find the best looking room in the map and post a shot of it, in that way you'll get more interest than random rooms with nothing to show.

EDIT: Ok, i just tried the demo. I liked map01 in general. It was nice. But map02 felt a bit too empty. Some of the textures were repeaded for far too long, and the ceilings need some decoration. Also, why nazis in map02? I did not play the map, I just went through watching all the architecture. I saw a missing textures problem in map02 in near the end of the map. I'll give details later.

Well the nazi will be a new enemy (machinegun zombie) I need new sprites for it.I'll try and add some decorations to map02 and make the level alot less bland.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Virtue » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 am

um, it is perfectly legal to import E1 into Doom 2 since E1 is a shareware wad and freely avaliable.
Virtue
We Stand to Fight

Postby NiGHTMARE » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 am

Ben2k9 wrote:um, it is perfectly legal to import E1 into Doom 2 since E1 is a shareware wad and freely avaliable.

Wrong. Shareware is by definition *copyrighted* software, that is distributed for free. In other words, it can legally be redistributed, but it cannot be legally modified -- at least, not without the explicit permission of the copyright owner. (The other aspect of shareware is that you're expected to pay a fee if you like it, often to remove a time limit, and/or to get the full feature set.)

If software is both freely available and can be modified, then it's public domain software, not shareware.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 am

Ben2k9 wrote:um, it is perfectly legal to import E1 into Doom 2 since E1 is a shareware wad and freely avaliable.

You can't legally copy/paste ID software maps on to doom2.But you are allowed to recreate them.I don't see why there is drama here (considering their are thousands of e1remakes with nearly perfect copies of ID software maps).
NiGHTMARE wrote:If software is both freely available and can be modified, then it's public domain software, not shareware.

I didn't copy/paste and edit id maps if thats what you just said.none of the linedefs in the match the original e1m1 and e1m2.Also this is the first time someone brings up copy right issues (considering this wad has been on doomworld,skulltag,Wads In Progress and odamex for over 2months now).
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby Deathman101 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:56 am

Hey...didn't the author of the first map get banned from Doomworld?
Deathman101

Postby NiGHTMARE » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:40 pm

FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:[You can't legally copy/paste ID software maps on to doom2.But you are allowed to recreate them.I

Actually, level design could -- in theory -- fall under intellectual property, in which case you would *not* be allowed to recreate them. In fact, ID Software have shut down several fan projects that recreated elements of one of their games in another of their games; for instance, there was a Doom-themed Quake 3 TC that got canned, even though all the content was created from-scratch.

In practice, ID most likely couldn't care less about what we do in Doom 1 & 2. More recent ID games are a different matter entirely, though.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby FANADICALCOWHEAD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Deathman101 wrote:Hey...didn't the author of the first map get banned from Doomworld?

Yes I did get banned but only because I did something I shouldn't of done.It has nothing to do with this however.
NiGHTMARE wrote:
FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:[You can't legally copy/paste ID software maps on to doom2.But you are allowed to recreate them.I

Actually, level design could -- in theory -- fall under intellectual property, in which case you would *not* be allowed to recreate them. In fact, ID Software have shut down several fan projects that recreated elements of one of their games in another of their games; for instance, there was a Doom-themed Quake 3 TC that got canned, even though all the content was created from-scratch.

In practice, ID most likely couldn't care less about what we do in Doom 1 & 2. More recent ID games are a different matter entirely, though.

Well Id software didn't stop Kdizd (the most well known doom1 remake) so chances are they won't try and shut down this wad.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Postby esselfortium » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Well...that's why KDiZD was made for Ultimate Doom instead of Doom II.
esselfortium

PreviousNext

Return to Levels