One for Wills ;)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: One for Wills ;)

Post by Enjay »

I don't think I've ever had a crash with Risen3D. It runs very nicely on my not-too hot machine (2.8GHz P4, 1GB Ram GeForce 6200, WinXP). I tend to run it with models and hi res textures enabled at screen res 1024x768. I haven't found it laggy or slow at all. One of the things I like to use it for is to play older maps to give them a bit of a "new generation" look to them. Risen3D handles that very well IMO. However, I've also been playing HeDRoX on it recently. It certainly has a load of lines crammed into a small space and Risen3D hasn't had a problem with it at all.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13458

Installation of Risen3D was easy enough (it has an install exe) and most of the additional packs and R3D specific maps come as self extracting archives with correct path information built in, so installing them is easy too. There is quite a lot of downloading to get everything that you might want, but it wasn't difficult. As I said, I find the launcher more friendly than Snowberry too. There is a "quick launcher" available as a separate download, but I prefer the standard launcher.

Aside from anything else, downloading and installing Risen3D is worth it just to marvel at what Sitters has done to visually integrate models and Doom architecture so completely in his maps. Genetic Disaster and Doom Dragon in particular show this off very well. Sometimes his maps (particularly the older ones) are quite confusing key/switch hunts (less so with the two mentioned) and they tend to be pretty tough too, but they are definitely worth playing.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

So, it is worth the download then? I'm still damn unsure, not that the installation might be very complicated, but what if my parents finds out about it? They are not gonna get THAT happy as i might be.... :geek:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Your parents finding out, and their reaction to doing so is not something that I can help you with. ;)
Viscra Maelstrom

!!! :oops:

Oh yeah, you're right. That's not something that YOU can help me out with. Gonna do it tomorrow then, i guess. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

I just wanted to say that i'm installing the source port Risen 3D now. I can't wait till i'm done.....! :cheers:

Return to “Levels”