Technophobia Overdose. /idgames upload done.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Technophobia Overdose. /idgames upload done.

Postby Phobus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Great stuff :) Second playthrough was improved a bit, but there were still quite a few things that I thought "Hmm... I'd have done it differently" about - mostly texture combinations and perhaps one or two other little things. I found ammo to be more than sufficient this time, and at the end it was still getting easier with the increased supply - the reactor battle being the notable hard point of the map (good job there!)

The end looked a bit tacked on, and the 3D TEKWALL effect messed my framerate around a little at points, but in the end it was still one cyber in a big open room, and I was still very healthily supplied, so it fell easily.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it, so it gets 5/5 from me :)
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Postby Remmirath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm happy that you've enjoyed it. :)

So far, i'm around 4,5 stars on /idgames, with a vote by Phobus and Moti, plus 2 other votes at the beginning, that were 5 and 4 stars.

Another guy voted 3/5 with a personal comment about the gameplay, but i expected it.
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Moti » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:40 pm

I don't know what was the deal with that 3/5 guy, I found no flaws in the map whatsoever. It was lovely and I expect to see more wads by you.
Good work. :)
Moti
Derp?

Postby Remmirath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Obviously that guy was expecting it to be less linear, without the typical room-hallway-room, but oh well; i started this map on August, 5th, 2008, when i was still learning mapping stuff and i was gathering the right detail concept. So, as some may have noticed, it also has some gameplay flaws, that i've noticed for myself, but i couldn't do anything about it, otherwise i'd have to rebuild great part of the map.
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Postby Gez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Well, there are minor mapping details that could have been improved. Some doors are flush with the walls (starting with the very first you see), which never looks very good, and the magic elevator buttons that swims through the wall texture is a bit odd. But on the whole, it's nicely done. :)
Gez

Postby Unholypimpin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:02 pm

i give this 9/10 great detail, loved the gameplay but only thing i didnt like is it wasnt hard enough for me =[ oh and the poor spidermastermind in that 1 room was trapped and a easy target. made me sad when i had to introduce him to my rocket launcher and he couldnt do much. also some parts did have some lack of ammo and i had to fist some monsters to death, but atleast you put a berzerk powerup near the beginning so i could punch the shit outa that archvile, which i must say was very fun. other than that this is a A+ job morpheus 8-)
Unholypimpin
The GutterGhost is coming over for dinner, are you prepared?

Postby hnsolo77 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 pm

now you've done it!

damn you morpheus, im going to play this later instead of fallout 3 :P
hnsolo77
if your life had a face Kim would punch it.

Postby Project Dark Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 am

I think it was meh. I actually felt the beginning was the better part for awhile, though I think this could have done well with a little more "less skilled" play-testing.
Some of the fights near the end were a bit more exciting. The middle was a bit of a pain to slog through. Health was tight forever, even though I didn't die once until the master locked door (my average health was around 35% for most of the way through -- including the beginning). Ammo was for a long time, too: try to get a third of the way through without finding Phobus' secret. I was hoping to save the 12 rockets I had for bigger monsters that deserved it, not bull demons coming for me because I ran out of shotgun shells. For what its worth, I played on Hurt Me Plenty.
... Until I discovered the Computer Area Map, anyway, then ammunition wasn't a problem.
I felt like most of the complex felt like its details were a bit... erm, gawdy. Tacked on. Usually I speak of the light fixtures on the ceiling, one of which blocked a UAC sign in one of the rooms. The rooms didn't feel like there was a whole lot of anything going with them, though. What did they do? All this detail, and I was hoping to find some sort of... you know, point to each room. Perhaps I'm asking for too much, though I didn't exactly realise if one small room was a lift, or another was a friggin' power switch. Only one of the rooms actually had a generator type of room going for it.
The layout wasn't much to cry home about, either. Backtracking everywhere usually isn't any fun, especially when (except for the hub) monsters don't repopulate the place; connectivity is always a good thing, and switch hunts get annoying after awhile. I hated the shafts section, worst excuse to lay down a small maze.

3 out of 5.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox

Postby Dragonfly » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 am

:roll:
Dragonfly

Discord: Dragonfly#5094
Twitch ID: dragonflyos

Postby Remmirath » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 am

I didn't say it was excellent, because when i started it, i was still experiencing. As i said earlier, if i were to make it excellent, i should have rebuilt a great part of the map.

You can expect something better than this in the future. :)
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Postby Enjay » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 am

41 minutes and 39 seconds of fun. :biggrin:

Yep, I really enjoyed this. Sure there are bits that I would have done differently, but that doesn't mean bad, just different. For someone so early in their mapping career, this is a superb map. Even if you weren't so early in your mapping career, it would still be a thoroughly enjoyable, good looking map. I could go on further about the highs and lows but, bottom line, its a good, solid map that is fun to play.

BTW, props for one of the best executed combination number scripts that I have seen. :thumb:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Remmirath » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 am

Thank you, Enjay. :D
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Postby Project Dark Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 am

Josh wrote::roll:

What? It's my honest opinion and I was offering up some constructive critique. I didn't flame him or anything. :| How are you going to get better, without someone to tell it how it is?
EDIT: I also didn't like the music track very much. I mean, I love metal. But it just seemed to grind a bit much on my ears. As a substitute, I used Pendulum's "9000 Miles", which I thought fit the area better.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox

Postby carlcyber » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 am

I really enjoyed this. I almost lost the honor of being a man several times that typing iddqd and idfa for pissing those nuisances off. After the long and intense fight, finally I opened a gate and saw the cyberdemon behind the door. I was happy because I knew its ending time! I raised my plasma rifle the first time and the ammo drops extravagantly. In about 15 seconds, I noticed something looks very illusional and becomes too curious to keep playing tricks with the cyberdemon. I put the gun down, walked towards it, then my computer started lagging and I couldn't control anymore. My screen became red and the CameraViewHeight dropped to zero.

This is one of the evilist trap I've ever seen....
carlcyber

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 am

Project Dark Fox wrote:
Josh wrote::roll:

What? It's my honest opinion and I was offering up some constructive critique. I didn't flame him or anything. :| How are you going to get better, without someone to tell it how it is?
EDIT: I also didn't like the music track very much. I mean, I love metal. But it just seemed to grind a bit much on my ears. As a substitute, I used Pendulum's "9000 Miles", which I thought fit the area better.

Sorry, probably should have added some text to say how I meant the eye rolling action.
Basically, it sounds more a complaint that it's too hard. Don't get me wrong, I scan-read most posts, so I may have mis-interpreted everything that was said.
apologies.

Oh, and If we're using pendulum, I'd recommend The terminal more..
but either way we look at it, pendulum is a no-go as far as copyright issues go.

:3:
Dragonfly

Discord: Dragonfly#5094
Twitch ID: dragonflyos

PreviousNext

Return to Levels