[Released] The Castle

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jake
Location: The ethereal planes of the Nether-World (Also known as California)

[Released] The Castle

Post by Jake »

Spoiler: Old Post

The Castle 1.0 Official Release is ready!

Get it here!
CASTLE.ZIP
The Castle 1.0 Official Release (Fixed)
(107.41 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Last edited by Jake on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phucket

Re: [WIP] The Castle

Post by Phucket »

Heh, from the looks of it you've got some real potential. While the map's pretty bland and boxy, that's to be expected since you're pretty new to mapping. Difficulty wise, the map's easy. Very easy. I got through the entire map taking only 15 damage. If I were you I'd put some bigger stuff in, especially after you give them all those weapons before the big court yard. Throw in some mancubi, arachnotrons, pain elementals, and hell, maybe some archviles and a couple of cyber demons.

Something tells me the owner of this castle doesn't have guests come over too often, considering that he's got a dungeon that he keeps unlocked. Even better, he puts a sign right next to the door saying that it's a dungeon. :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

This is what I'd call "A nice little map"

It's a good beginner map, and I liked the little touches, such as the tombstones you could read, the sign stating that it was a dungeon and thevarious things that you didn'r have time for, such as sleeping and reading. Can't say I liked the Stealth-Archvile mind, and I didn't see an actual way of finishing the map after killing everything.

Things I'd advise:

*Making your door tracks (the bits of the sector that is a door that aren't upper-textures) have the lower-unpegged flag, to stop them scrolling.
*Making sure you get all of your door tracks to look how you want (one or two were brick, the others were all DOORTRAK)
*Some traps. All of the monsters here were in front of you. Having a monster hiding round the side of a door, or teleporting in behind, next to, or even in front of you - rather than just standing in front of you all the time would help. Likewise walls opening up to reveal hidden monsters isa good way to go about it.
* A secret or two. A bookcase with a secret room behind it with a bit of extra armour or health, or perhaps a powerup such as an invisibility is always a good start in a level like yours.

Otherwise it was a pretty good. Only lost 6 health before the final fight. Then the archvile hit me once or twice, which had me scrambling for the megasphere and extra health. I survived it all in one go though, so thats alright.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

This map feels very vanilla-style, with a few ZDoom features thrown in here and there, but done so in a way that adds to the experience. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than my first map!

The monster placement was nice, but it could be made a little more challenging on the higher difficulty levels for the more experienced Doom players.

I agree with Phobus about adding some secrets, and about more traps, with monsters that appear in many different ways, so the player doesn't know what to expect next.

All in all, a nice map. Keep up the good work, Jake. :wink:
Jake

Post by Jake »

Thanks for the input. I'm currently altering parts of the level using some of the tips you gave and also making changes on things I felt could have been better. :)
Jake

Post by Jake »

Bump. Good news everyone, I've been working on the castle, and I've added some new areas as well as improved a lot of the existing rooms.

I've added some more demons and made the difficulty higher. :grr:

Slasher, my older brother, gave me some help with my WAD, that's why I decided to put him in the easter egg, in case anyone was wondering.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That'd explain the tombstones then :P
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Phobus wrote:That'd explain the tombstones then :P
I didn't even know he did that until only moments before uploading it to the forums. I thought it was funny. :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

My brother never did that with his maps that he's made (two recently now, I believe).

Guess me helping out with door making and the like doesn't warrant Easter Eggs :lol:

(Not that he's released them, or feels as though he is done with the whole deal yet)
Jake

Post by Jake »

Update: New beta ready for testing! Check first post.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That's a lot better, though the last secret, with the final monster hidden in it, with that odd clue completely threw me. My guess is it has something to do with those coffins, but I couldn't guess what.

Good wad, and ammo balance is nice right up until the final fight, where you're overloaded with weaponary, giving the player a nice choice of how to blast down his opposition, assuming he doesn't let the opposition handle itself.

All in all, good wad. Well done. :)
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Since I built that script for him, I guess I can explain it.
Spoiler:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ah, I see...

Well, I may give that a go in a free moment at a later date, though really I need to get on with my own wad :lol:
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

Spoiler:
Still, good beginner level. No bugs that I could see, but there were some misaligned textures, which are no big deal. I see that it has a few ambushes now, woo!

PS: LOL at the UAC crate saying "Do Not Enter"
Jake

Post by Jake »

Yes there is an end to the level. I just tested the game (by using kill monsters) on all 5 difficulties and I could end the level just fine.

What difficulty level were you using?

Return to “Levels”