[CP] The "Ten" Community Project! Completed! First post!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [CP] The "Ten" Community Project! ALL SLOTS TAKEN Kthxbai

Post by Remmirath »

I'm sorry i couldn't have participate well...i was busy this morning and i am the laggy man on my father's computer...
Anyway, we can open another server this evening, as Dreadopp said... :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ok, I've done the whole single player episode, and the co-op episode with my youngest brother. Here's my appraisal below:

MAP01: Seems fine now, though the red fog was a little offputting during the HK fight, still seems very genrous ammo wise. Does still seem like pretty boxes rather than rooms, but thats of little issue.

MAP02: Bug (see screenshot), and fuzzy HK, Baron and Archie are far too hard in a map comprised of black texture. TOO HARD. On the plus side though, the architecture was quite interesting, and all of the moving parts were quite fun.
Spoiler: screenshot
MAP03: Seems odd that you use purple for a yellow key door - otherwise its fine. Nice map to play.

MAP04: Seems like there's too many monsters - you could acheive the same thing with half of the monsters removed, easily - again, rather a lot of ammo. Still impressed by the size and detail of the map though.

MAP05: Not exactly unfair, but definitely unforgiving - rather depressing compared to the rest of the ad so far too, I though. I made it so that's all I'm saying.

-Also of note, we left cluster 1 here, which is definitely wrong because there are no cyberdemons in my map

MAP06: Far too much ammo, very little challenge, I'll be blunt here I admit I felt it looked and felt quite half-arsed

MAP07: Ammo seemed alright, though it was hard to tell by then - health seemed rather generous though - I liked this ones theme quite a bit. The difficulty taking a jump at the end was quite surprising though, and I did die there once

MAP08: The spectres in the red fog kicked my arse, and the jumping was quite tough. Also, the out-of-the-blue cutscene nearly put me in harms way. The cyber is very hard without finding a certain secret, and the stealth chaingunner was a bit unfair I thought :P Still, it is a nice map, and a well executed theme... just very hard

MAP09: Love it, although it does seem easy compared to most of the others. Nice shadows, nice natural environment (with some structures)... just a damn good job really.

MAP10: Easily as well done as the original, just harder. Only real problem is that with all of the ammo and weaponary picked up from previous episodes, I could kill the cyberdemon conventionally. The fatshot spawners do cause slowdown though, because of the decals they stack up on the walls.

MAP11: Nice colour scheme - probably one of the most varied maps in the set so far. The challenge is quite good, because you face meager resistance for the most part, and then in places of importance you face down tougher challenges, and the item balance supports this. The only thing I missed out on having in this map was secrets, otherwise it was good, with shadows, effects, monster balance and a good progression.

MAP12: Woo, Pantera! All of the close quarters spawning is a little annoying, but it does make for a hectic start to the map. Stealth monsters were unappreciated, but otherwise the map plays quite well, and keeps a consistently nice, yet busy, look. All the bugs I noticed last time are fixed, so thats good. Rather a lot of health and ammo it seemed.

MAP21: Cool idea, pretty well executed - felt like a mix between sonic and pacman being done within doom. The BFG I'd aquired earlier in the wad got plenty of use, I can tell you :P Very cool, well done.

MAP13: Another cool idea, bit awkward to move around though. The final battle is a bit long, but its alright. Not too hard overall, and quite well balanced from what I can tell, except for the end, which needs more health. Good music too.

MAP14: Kind of difficult to work out, and the music makes it all seem a bit false-epic. Fun though, and different. Once again the stealth monsters weren't popular with me.

MAP15: Looks and feels badass. One of the lightening flashes made my computer stutter... not sure why though. Didn't like the zombie wave... I beat it without dying, but to begin with I was taking some serious hits. Nice effect for the final fight.

MAP16: Chaingun ammo for players 2 and 4 is a bit limited, but not too bad as players 1 and 3 can aid them in most places.

MAP17: Plenty of ammo and health, but rather tight for multiple players, hence getting stuck and dying quite easily if you get unlucky.

MAP18: Aside from the chaingunners at the end this map was fine. Multiplayer the chaingunners are ok as you can respawn, but single player its impossible without cheating, pretty much.

MAP19: Fine, but also tight in places making jumping over eachother a necessity in some corridors, or single file. Also, once the level exit is activated a player dying can accidently exit the level. We circumvented the cyberdemon completely this way. We didn't like the stealth monster usage, just because we don't like them full stop.

MAP20: The part with the ceiling puzzle is completely unfair. Doesn't matter how many times I tried there I got telefragged, sometimes without reason - I couldn't see the way across from where I was as well. Sometimes we were dying as soon as we respawned, therefore some sort of problem. We actually quit in frustration because he couldn't make it across at all and I was struggling to keep going back and forth, especially once the cyberdemons spawned. Do something with this puzzle please, its far too annoying as it is.
NewTiberian

Post by NewTiberian »

Phobus wrote:
Spoiler: screenshot
incomplete sectors, perhaps?
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

wait. this bug is "still" there??? i tried to fix it 3 times allready :P

the fuzzy hk/baron's has lowered health. but their attacks are pretty powerful. i just came to thinking that you can actually lower the damage with setactorproperty. il do that. and put the archvile for multiplayer only. its there only on hard now. also the hk's are much easier on easy.

iv played thru map01 and map02.

iv got some complaints on map01.

i think its pretty unnecesary having a supershotgun and a rocketlauncher in map01. really, max a shotgun. also i got stuck in theese long dark corridors. i dunno wth i was supposed to do. so i nocliped to this red room.

also i think it was rather hard for being a map01. im a pretty skilled player so it wasn't a big challenge. but for others. it was hard even on im too young to die.

[EDIT] No it isn't Incomplete sectors. but maybe it has something to do with those merged sectors.
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

ill be honest with this, stealth monsters really piss most people off

best not to use them at all
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

now i know why i got stuck in the dark corridors.

Spoiler: oh look, a door
its just unfairly dark. and its just evil to say "raise your brightness dude" coz iv never had to do that before.
Spoiler: oh look. another door!
plz. raise the light level on those doors!. make some lights on the sides of them or something >_< this was just evil :P
Lord_Z

Post by Lord_Z »

Phobus wrote:The part with the ceiling puzzle is completely unfair.
Would it be better if the floor did not hurt you?
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Phobus wrote:MAP04: Seems like there's too many monsters - you could acheive the same thing with half of the monsters removed, easily - again, rather a lot of ammo.
I suppose I could try removing some monsters to see how it would play out. I wanted to help make the level feel longer and bigger than it actually is. I can also remove some ammo, but remember that this was supposed to play as pistol starts, and that's how much ammo I felt there should be.
Phobus wrote:MAP18: Aside from the chaingunners at the end this map was fine. Multiplayer the chaingunners are ok as you can respawn, but single player its impossible without cheating, pretty much.
I would not say that it is impossible, I found it to be very possible on single player. Just use the rocket launcher :P , or plasma gun that I happily provided for you in Map04. Or, if you wish, you can just quickly run to the switch :P .
Lord_Z wrote:Would it be better if the floor did not hurt you?
I think it would. I, too, got pretty frustrated on that part.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Dreadopp: MAP04 is a different episode, you don't get the plasma gun for that map :P

As for MAP04, I honestly reckon halving the monster count where you've got big groups of the same monster and then reducing the ammo appropriately would work out to play much the same, just faster.

@Lord_Z: I don't mnid the floor hurting me, I just want a better indication of where not to tread, because the ceiling being a little lower is quite useless when I can't see it and I'm standing there losing health. So either no hurting floor, to help ease the urgency to get across, or a better indication... or maybe both.

@iucytux: That sounds a lot better... and yeah, the fuzzy goats did die easily, but the damage and surprise isn't good when you're up the top there ready to fall to your death.
Lord_Z

Post by Lord_Z »

Phobus wrote:I just want a better indication of where not to tread
I lowered the lighting in the areas where you are not supposed to walk already. I did not think they were that hard to see because when I tested it in Skulltag, it was fine. However, I tried it in ZDoom and it was a lot harder to see than I thought. Sorry Image
Morpheus, can you change the lighting of those evil boxes to 112? It should be a lot easier to see where not to walk.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Phobus wrote:@Dreadopp: MAP04 is a different episode, you don't get the plasma gun for that map :P
Ahh, yes of course. >_>...<_<... :P
Phobus wrote:As for MAP04, I honestly reckon halving the monster count where you've got big groups of the same monster and then reducing the ammo appropriately would work out to play much the same, just faster.
Alrighty, I will see what I can do.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Phobus wrote:MAP11: Nice colour scheme - probably one of the most varied maps in the set so far. The challenge is quite good, because you face meager resistance for the most part, and then in places of importance you face down tougher challenges, and the item balance supports this. The only thing I missed out on having in this map was secrets, otherwise it was good, with shadows, effects, monster balance and a good progression.
For how much I pushed the space limits already, I felt that just trying to cram a secret somewhere would have actually done more harm than good. However, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

question, is there a particular reason why there is a custom palate in there?
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

You don't like it? i made it, because i like modify (but just a bit) the original palette...and it makes my map looking good... :)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

i was just curious

Return to “Levels”