Page 11 of 17

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:36 pm
by Osiris Kalev
Yeah, you can have parts of a hud come up depending on what class you're using.

PlayerClass <classname> [, <classname2> [, <classname3>]]

Executes the following sub block only if the player is one of the specified classes (represented by their display name).

Straight from SBARINFO.

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:53 am
by Captain Ventris
Osiris wrote:Yeah, you can have parts of a hud come up depending on what class you're using.

PlayerClass <classname> [, <classname2> [, <classname3>]]

Executes the following sub block only if the player is one of the specified classes (represented by their display name).

Straight from SBARINFO.


I don't understand. How would I put this?

Code: Select allExpand view
PlayerClass DoomPlayerClass
{
Base Doom  //Or the SBARINFO stuff, depending
}


Would this make the Doom HUD appear if you played the DoomPlayerClass?

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:16 am
by Darsycho
Phobus wrote:Here's the link to the page: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/virus.html
and the direct link to the zip: http://www.phobus.servegame.com/ph_virus_demo.zip

Yep, it is indeed done. You can now play MAP01-MAP03 of Virus Episode 1. Next step... rest of the monsters, for Captain Ventris and his cool ZDoom Wars mod :)

Please do comment - I'd like to know what to improve when making later maps. :)


It's very neat, good job.

Image

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am
by XutaWoo
The_afrit wrote:Image

You, err...got the wrong emoticon there buddy.

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm
by Captain Ventris
XutaWoo wrote:
The_afrit wrote:Image

You, err...got the wrong emoticon there buddy.


Haha, that made me laugh.


Well, I don't think your work is retarded, Phobus. XD

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:24 pm
by Phobus
I'd actually be willing to believe he thought that was a positive emoticon :P Either way, I'm taking the text at face value and enjoying the ego boosting :P

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:45 am
by Osiris Kalev
No, it's used as a subblock within the HUD code. Just as an example:
Code: Select allExpand view
statusbar fullscreen
{
   PlayerClass DoomPlayerClass
   {
      drawnumber 2, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, frags, 276, 1;
                drawimage "MEDIA0", 20, 196;
      drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, health, 80, 180;
      drawimage armoricon, 20, 172;
      drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, armor, 80, 156;
      drawimage ammoicon1, 306, 196;
      drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, ammo1, 295, 180;
      drawimage ammoicon2, 306, 172;
      drawnumber 3, HUDFONT_DOOM, red, ammo2, 295, 156;
   }
}


I can't exactly test it since I'm at work, but I believe that a HUD I was making worked liked that.

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:07 am
by Phobus
As I understand it, Ventris has decided to go without custom HUDs, due to the two mana types not being catered for on most of the HUDs from games. However, that information is quite handy, and does help shed som light on the nuances of HUDINFO (something I've shied away from).

And in other news, I've done the AirCarrier as well now, leaving just the LandCarrier and the Episode 3 boss. Behaviour-wise the AirCarrier may not be perfect, as it probably can't spawn it's Turret or Drones if it gets too close to the floor or ceiling (respectively). However, I did the best I could with what I had, and nothing was going to be perfect where that's concerned. It does work with it's limited numbers, and it does use all of it's animations correctly too (oddly enough I got everything right first time, except for the Drone spawning, because I made an incorrect assumption about A_SpawnItemEx).

I'll do the LandCarrier next because that's got a definite plan for it... after that I'll see if "Felix" can come to fruition.

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 pm
by Captain Ventris
Phobus wrote:As I understand it, Ventris has decided to go without custom HUDs, due to the two mana types not being catered for on most of the HUDs from games. However, that information is quite handy, and does help shed som light on the nuances of HUDINFO (something I've shied away from).

And in other news, I've done the AirCarrier as well now, leaving just the LandCarrier and the Episode 3 boss. Behaviour-wise the AirCarrier may not be perfect, as it probably can't spawn it's Turret or Drones if it gets too close to the floor or ceiling (respectively). However, I did the best I could with what I had, and nothing was going to be perfect where that's concerned. It does work with it's limited numbers, and it does use all of it's animations correctly too (oddly enough I got everything right first time, except for the Drone spawning, because I made an incorrect assumption about A_SpawnItemEx).

I'll do the LandCarrier next because that's got a definite plan for it... after that I'll see if "Felix" can come to fruition.


Woot! Can't wait to see that those Carriers! They sound like they'll be a lot of fun to fight! :lol:

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 pm
by Amuscaria
Just beat the demo. I must say, very unique and interesting. Certainly a very refreshing use of the Doom Engine that's outside of the same out "Shoot Demons". Levels were very interesting to look at and seems very consistent throughout. My only complaints are the sounds, some of them are really loud. Especially the second weapon, using the Yamato Gun sounds seems to make it more poewrful than it really is. Another complaint is the how slow the player can change altitudes veritcally. I believe there is some property that lets you alter how fast an actor can change heights, although im not sure if it will have any effect on players. Anyways, good work here and hope to see more. :D

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm
by Phobus
Hmm... the problem with the sounds is that I generally take them from elsewhere, and use them as they come unless I feel they need changing, so generally it's just what it was. As for the altitude... I've done the best I can with that, but I fear there's little more to do without using thrustthingz... which isn't exactly what I'm after.

And thanks :)

@Ventris: The best part of the AirCarrier is it's explosive, fiery death complete with two very powerfully explosive engines to avoid... generally results in one or more of it's spawn being blown up (which for the turret of course means another explosion).

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:43 pm
by Captain Ventris
Phobus wrote:@Ventris: The best part of the AirCarrier is it's explosive, fiery death complete with two very powerfully explosive engines to avoid... generally results in one or more of it's spawn being blown up (which for the turret of course means another explosion).


Ouch. You might think you've done well, dragging it down with your horde of Flemoids, but...

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:55 pm
by Phobus
Each AirCarrier only has 750 health, and they have low attack power too, even when they've dropped off all of their load (which gives them increased movement speed and an even weaker attack than before). A MeshWalker will easily destroy two or three AirCarriers due to it's superior fire power and health. Something like a CyberDemon would probably rofl at the thought of an AirCarrier attacking it :P

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:00 pm
by Captain Ventris
Phobus wrote:Each AirCarrier only has 750 health, and they have low attack power too, even when they've dropped off all of their load (which gives them increased movement speed and an even weaker attack than before). A MeshWalker will easily destroy two or three AirCarriers due to it's superior fire power and health. Something like a CyberDemon would probably rofl at the thought of an AirCarrier attacking it :P


Heh. So they have a limited payload, eh? They'd be interesting in a large, open level.

Re: [WIP] Virus - 3 Map Demo released!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:10 am
by Darsycho
some guy wrote:Image

Where are you getting all these emoticons anyways? i saved this as picture on my computer and uploaded it on imageshack.