[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phobus

Re: [WIP] Virus - Training Mission?

Post by Phobus »

Right, I've written out a full plan now (complete with retro-spective stuff), so I think I'm all planned out. A Training mission is planned, as is a release of Episode 1 when it's done (with the Training mission) as it's own thing before the whole release, to keep people interested. What with my ZDoom Wars contribution being one monster and a strategy guide short of completion, that's not all that far away (could easily be done before the year is out).

Obviously I'll keep the large part of my plans secret until they're either done or released, but I'll try and keep people updated, perhaps with screenshots if maps or whatever are being done.
Phobus

Re: [WIP] Virus - Felix "A" Frame

Post by Phobus »

Here's the last monster to be going into Zdoom Wars' Virus faction (well, it's A frame anyway). I'm taking a slight shortcut with it's diagonal frames, and using mirroring, so the arms will look flipped on the 8 rotations. Penultimate boss, so it's allowed to be pretty big and somewhat complex looking.

It's got every weapon the player can get (but a lot more missiles). I'm thinking it's long range attack can be a cluster of 4 mini missiles (erratic homing), mid range can be a choice of a burst from the blaster or the wall of death and close range is either a burst of Basic blaster fire or a laser beam. I'm also thinking that when it gets low on health (500 out of 2750) it can start alpha striking for it's every attack, just to make the player cry :P
.+:icytux:+.

Re: [WIP] Virus - Felix "A" Frame p14

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

that is looking very good! you are a good spriter phobus. sad that is the last one. (or just last for Zdoom wars? or last for Virus overall?)
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Awww, I imagine that the Felix will fire different weapons at the same time. :|
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@icytux: There's at least one more proper Virus monster to be made, but the Felix is the last one going into ZDoom Wars. However, after all the Virus monsters are made, there are still one or two extra monsters to be made for the secret maps in the other two episodes... and there may yet be more stuff if ever I finish this bit.

@U_A: On low health it will, but I'm thinking beforehand it won't need to... though I could merge it's mid-range and close-range attacks into it firing two weapons at a time. I'll look into it and see how that plays when I've gotten round to finishing the sprite set.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Awww, I imagine that the Felix will fire different weapons at the same time. :|
That isn't proper BattleMech firing discipline, as 1. you can easily over-heat your 'Mech, and 2. aiming two different types of weapons (such as ballistic and missile) require two totally different skills. ... Unless you have nothing to lose, it'd be very difficult to pull something like that off consistently.

:P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Project Dark Fox wrote:1. you can easily over-heat your 'Mech
The overheating in mechs always amuses me. I don't have a problem with it, but it is so obviously a game mechanic rather than an actual thing. I mean, if all that tech was really possible, I think they'd have found some way around the incredibly restrictive overheating problem with mechs. And lets face it, overheating to that extent isn't really an issue on current day kit that carries out similar roles. It makes the games fairer though, so meh!
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Funnily enough, that's why I was going to let the Felix over-heat (ie. stand still and smoke for a little) after alpha-striking. To keep it fair. Simply put, flying right next to it when it alpha-striked would totally and utterly annhialate you (probably even with 300 health and 300 65% shield), so my idea is that if I slow it's attack rate down a bit, you shouldn't find yourself owned by it too quickly.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Nice sprites, but the walker thing looks really flimsy, like it would topple over immediately
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'll admit, the legs were even thinner before I asked Project Dark Fox about the sprite, and the reason being that they're most animated part of the sprite, and quite difficult to draw out IMO, so I tried to keep them simple, and somewhat light-weight. As it's Virus it doesn't really matter anyway - it'll always look tougher than the MeshWalker :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Virus is now officially into Phase 3, which means I finish mapping Episode 1, map the Training map, add any extra resources required (couple of screens I think) and then release it as it's own wad, as a further teaser for the whole thing. I've sent the monster/player pack off to Captain Ventris to implement into ZDoom Wars :)
HotWax

Re: [WIP] Virus - Felix "A" Frame

Post by HotWax »

Phobus wrote:I'm taking a slight shortcut with it's diagonal frames, and using mirroring, so the arms will look flipped on the 8 rotations.
Dude, that is excessively lazy given that it took me only a few minutes to make this from yours.
Phobus

Re: [WIP] Virus - Phase 3 started

Post by Phobus »

I was thinking not just of laziness, but also space and time. Space in that this wads going to be huge, so having proper rotations for everything that could get away with not having them is a fair way of lowering the filesize by a little, and time in that it's more to align in XWE and move in the actual sprites too.

TBH I reckon nobody would notice if I hadn't have said anything.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Phobus wrote:TBH I reckon nobody would notice if I hadn't have said anything.
I'm the kind of guy that would notice right away and not give a shit. Unfortunately there's few like me.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, as we all play doom we're all like that really. I know that DoomGuy at least swaps gun hand when on his 6,7 and 8 rotations. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the monsters do it too.

Return to “Levels”