From the Ashes of Fear - Download NOW!!!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Phobus wrote:Hmm... seems the secrets and the like in your maps are too clever for me, I didn't find one of them...
Enjay wrote:....I'd missed a (as he would describe it) "rather obvious" secret.
I admit that some of the secrets in my maps are not the easiest to find. At the same time:
  • 1. I'm sure that you'll agree I don't require the finding of any secrets to make progress - the secrets merely hold goodies to make the going easier.
    2. I include a text file describing how to find the secrets.
    3. I always provide some clue that there is a secret area. I hope that the player will use the auto-map and do some exploration to figure out where the secret may be. [For example, in Map 31 before you pick up the BFG you will notice that there is a passageway above that (if you looked at the auto map) leads to the blue key that opens the secret exit. You can use the auto map to back-track and find the door that leads to the passage.]
    4. I never intentionally make it frustrating for a player to get to a secret area.
    5. I believe that secrets should make the player scratch his/her head but still be innovative if possible. Unfortunately, most (if not all) the original ideas have probably already been taken. Therefore I have to stretch really far to make my secrets out-of-the-ordinary.
I know that this sound like I'm defending the way I use secret areas, but that is not my intention. Still, I thought I might take this opportunity to explain what motivates me.

It does not sound that way, but if you were frustrated at not finding the secrets please let me know.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

No, the only time finding secrets (or the lack therof) becomes frustrating to me is when they are vital to progressing in a map. I admire mappers who make secrets I can't find easily (but are put in so that they can be found), yet still make them optional, because, as a mapper, I think secrets play a big part in showing how well maps are made.

Return to “Levels”