2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Belial wrote:oshi
SnowKate709 wrote:(to my knowledge)
That's quite new to me. But at least now I know that it's an idea that's been considered before. =)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I wa just joking around, not offending ;) It's always good to see yet another project being planned, so don't care about what I say here ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Well, you could try for 2 sidedefs...
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Yeah, that'd be the hugest map ever :roll: ;)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Risen wrote:Well, you could try for 2 sidedefs...
It'd be one giant unclosed sector (assuming one two-sided line)... Don't think the nodebuilder would like that...

=P
Marcus101RR
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: 2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

Post by Marcus101RR »

SnowKate709 wrote:I've just started work on this but it has already been quite a challenge. You see, I've decided while staring at Tormentor's profile, that I wanted to work on a map. A special map. With a catch-22 to it. And I came up with this:

Total, for the entire map. No more, no less.

Although this has been done before, there has never (to my knowledge) been a fully-playable Single-Player map that demonstrates such a feat. Once I develop this map to be interesting enough, I'll eventually start posting screenshots of it. For now you go ahead and tell me that I have way too much time on my hands. =P

EDIT: And by the power of all, I shall give it a name, and it's name shall be ...
What I don't get is, 2 Sectors is 2 Sectors...uh...how can a map be good if it only has 2 sectors!?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

The only thing that makes no sense for me is doing it again. There has already been a 2-Sectors wad and there won't be any big differfence just becaue we are doing it now for ZDoom. I'd suggest coming up with something new and better
Marcus101RR
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Marcus101RR »

Tormentor667 wrote:The only thing that makes no sense for me is doing it again. There has already been a 2-Sectors wad and there won't be any big differfence just becaue we are doing it now for ZDoom. I'd suggest coming up with something new and better
Doing it again, since when was a megawad of 2 sectors made!? The "2Sectors.wad" is not 2 sectors it has way more than 2 sectors which is why the name impies doesn't make sense. PLus your Avatar says 2 sectors is not enough. LOL so i rest my case.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I do it for sh*ts and giggles and because I find it genuinely fun to map for. =P

One could also say it's viable proof that one doesn't need eye-popping 2000-sector graphical detail with gradient shadows and maps larger than the entire Seven Portals hub from Hexen for a wad to be generally fun.

But I digress. I just really felt the need to get that off somewhere, especially as of late. That's really been bothering me. =/
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I thnk with some really creative and clever use of actors, sidedefs, and textures, this might work out pretty decently. After all, didnt "Rise of the Triad" have like basically 2 secotrs anyways? Aleast it looked that way.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Marcus101RR wrote:The "2Sectors.wad" is not 2 sectors it has way more than 2 sectors
Well yeah. It has 37 maps, so that's 74 sectors total. :roll:

Marcus, once again, you don't know what you're talking about. Doom's sectors don't have to be continuous. Each of the maps in the 2sectors wad does contain only two sectors.
Risen

Post by Risen »

SnowKate709 wrote:It'd be one giant unclosed sector (assuming one two-sided line)... Don't think the nodebuilder would like that...

=P
One basic 1s line, and one 1s switch would get you much further. But a lot of nodebuilders still wouldn't like it.

Still, I've never seen a map based around severely restricting sidedefs. That would be a new and interesting challenge.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Marcus, with all due respect, just STFU!
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Need demo as soon as first level is finished.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Eriance wrote:didnt "Rise of the Triad" have like basically 2 secotrs anyways? Aleast it looked that way.
Well, technically it didn't use "sectors", but it would actually be the equivalent of a 1-sector Doom map, but with more limitations.

Basically it was Wolf3D with floor and ceiling textures, the option to use a sky instead of a ceiling, the ability to specify one (1) ceiling height per level, and a whole bunch of pointless gibs.

Return to “Levels”