2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:59 pm

Belial wrote:oshi
SnowKate709 wrote:(to my knowledge)
That's quite new to me. But at least now I know that it's an idea that's been considered before. =)
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby Tormentor667 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:50 am

I wa just joking around, not offending ;) It's always good to see yet another project being planned, so don't care about what I say here ;)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Risen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 am

Well, you could try for 2 sidedefs...
Risen

Postby jallamann » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Yeah, that'd be the hugest map ever :roll: ;)
jallamann
isn't very active on the forums at all

Postby Kate » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Risen wrote:Well, you could try for 2 sidedefs...
It'd be one giant unclosed sector (assuming one two-sided line)... Don't think the nodebuilder would like that...

=P
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Re: 2SP: The Two-Sector Mapping Project

Postby Marcus101RR » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:56 pm

SnowKate709 wrote:I've just started work on this but it has already been quite a challenge. You see, I've decided while staring at Tormentor's profile, that I wanted to work on a map. A special map. With a catch-22 to it. And I came up with this:

Total, for the entire map. No more, no less.

Although this has been done before, there has never (to my knowledge) been a fully-playable Single-Player map that demonstrates such a feat. Once I develop this map to be interesting enough, I'll eventually start posting screenshots of it. For now you go ahead and tell me that I have way too much time on my hands. =P

EDIT: And by the power of all, I shall give it a name, and it's name shall be ...

What I don't get is, 2 Sectors is 2 Sectors...uh...how can a map be good if it only has 2 sectors!?
Marcus101RR
It was only a one week cool-off ban, not a permaban. Stop overreacting, please.
Banned User

Postby Tormentor667 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:01 pm

The only thing that makes no sense for me is doing it again. There has already been a 2-Sectors wad and there won't be any big differfence just becaue we are doing it now for ZDoom. I'd suggest coming up with something new and better
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Marcus101RR » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:05 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:The only thing that makes no sense for me is doing it again. There has already been a 2-Sectors wad and there won't be any big differfence just becaue we are doing it now for ZDoom. I'd suggest coming up with something new and better

Doing it again, since when was a megawad of 2 sectors made!? The "2Sectors.wad" is not 2 sectors it has way more than 2 sectors which is why the name impies doesn't make sense. PLus your Avatar says 2 sectors is not enough. LOL so i rest my case.
Marcus101RR
It was only a one week cool-off ban, not a permaban. Stop overreacting, please.
Banned User

Postby Kate » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:36 pm

I do it for sh*ts and giggles and because I find it genuinely fun to map for. =P

One could also say it's viable proof that one doesn't need eye-popping 2000-sector graphical detail with gradient shadows and maps larger than the entire Seven Portals hub from Hexen for a wad to be generally fun.

But I digress. I just really felt the need to get that off somewhere, especially as of late. That's really been bothering me. =/
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:56 pm

I thnk with some really creative and clever use of actors, sidedefs, and textures, this might work out pretty decently. After all, didnt "Rise of the Triad" have like basically 2 secotrs anyways? Aleast it looked that way.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Gez » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Marcus101RR wrote:The "2Sectors.wad" is not 2 sectors it has way more than 2 sectors

Well yeah. It has 37 maps, so that's 74 sectors total. :roll:

Marcus, once again, you don't know what you're talking about. Doom's sectors don't have to be continuous. Each of the maps in the 2sectors wad does contain only two sectors.
Gez

Postby Risen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:42 pm

SnowKate709 wrote:It'd be one giant unclosed sector (assuming one two-sided line)... Don't think the nodebuilder would like that...

=P
One basic 1s line, and one 1s switch would get you much further. But a lot of nodebuilders still wouldn't like it.

Still, I've never seen a map based around severely restricting sidedefs. That would be a new and interesting challenge.
Risen

Postby Nash » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Marcus, with all due respect, just STFU!
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia GTX or Quadro with Vulkan support

Postby XutaWoo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Need demo as soon as first level is finished.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby HotWax » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:57 am

Eriance wrote:didnt "Rise of the Triad" have like basically 2 secotrs anyways? Aleast it looked that way.

Well, technically it didn't use "sectors", but it would actually be the equivalent of a 1-sector Doom map, but with more limitations.

Basically it was Wolf3D with floor and ceiling textures, the option to use a sky instead of a ceiling, the ability to specify one (1) ceiling height per level, and a whole bunch of pointless gibs.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Previous

Return to Levels