[TCoTD : Apocalypse] Outdated | Obsolete

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The sky's distortion* is very bad here. The Moon's flatness is blatant, and you can see the angle in the starry sky...
Tormentor667 wrote:Image
(* I could have sworn it was "distorsion" since after all it's based on "torsion" but Firefox's spell checker disagreed.)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's distortion. You can't always trust Firefox's spell checker though. I've come across a thing or two I've had to add to its dictionary that seemed like that should already have been there.

Also, try buckinghamshire (with the lowercase b.)

buckinghamshire nonsense!
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

gzdoom should make the "distortion" on the sky like a globe and not like a cube...
Risen

Post by Risen »

If that's even possible, only optionally. You'd lose the effect of many tricks that use a skybox if it just used that style outright.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:gzdoom should make the "distortion" on the sky like a globe and not like a cube...
That only applies for traditional patch-based skies - it seems Torm is using the GZDoom-style cube skybox.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Arrrghhhh. How often do I have to tell that the 6-face skyboxes have the needed distortion for representing a spherical sky already in the picture? Otherwise they wouldn't work at all because you could see the edges of the cube in the sky.

The distorted moon is the result of a the rather wide field of view that is standard in 3D shooters. You even get this in movies if wide enough lenses are used and the cameraman is not careful enough to avoid it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl wrote:Arrrghhhh. How often do I have to tell that the 6-face skyboxes have the needed distortion for representing a spherical sky already in the picture? Otherwise they wouldn't work at all because you could see the edges of the cube in the sky.
It would be more exact to say that they need to have the distortion taken into account in the pictures, because otherwise they don't work as you see the edges of the cube in the sky.

Which is just what happens here. I see the edges of the starry cube.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm guessing that the skybox itself is not a very good skybox then, because most of the good skyboxes I see in games are very transparent (meaning that I do NOT see a cube at all).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you can see the shape of the cube in any skybox it's time to dump it. Period. Unfortunately Tormentor's shots are again way too dark for my monitor so I can't really see what's in them.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The thing is that if all you want is to use a custom texture for your sky, then you should just use the MAPINFO texture option rather than using a skybox. You should only use a skybox if you have textures that are specially made for a skybox (and thus account for the distortion). Programs like Terragen can do that. (Quoting from Unreal Wiki: "Due to the way Terragen renders and the parallax effect of the skybox only a simple cube is needed for the skybox brush. Spheres and cylinders are not necessary.")

For example, importing E1M1 in Doom 2, I made a noob mistake by trying to use the proper sky without overwriting Doom 2's skies, and simply used a cube skybox with Doom 1's sky (imported as sky_de1m1) along its walls. It was awful, as you can guess. Attempting to round up the skybox solved nothing, and just made aligning the texture harder. And there was no satisfying solution for the top side... Then I just removed the skybox entirely and used MAPINFO, and miracle, it was nice.

The moral of the story being that if you don't have a sky that is meant to be used for a cube skybox, don't use it for a skybox.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Return to “Levels”