Doom Reloaded

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Darlos

Doom Reloaded

Post by Darlos »

I've started this over completely since I first began. I was just trying to use ZDoom and make my own sprites. Unfortunately, I didn't like the results. So, now I'm using GZDoom and I'm making 3D models for the guns. Should be fun.

As such, my progression is to be restarted entirely. I'll post updates here as they come.

Here's the ZDoom mod for now though, so you can see what's been talked about.

http://darlos.xepher.net/stuff/files/DoomReloaded.zip
Last edited by Darlos on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

No offence, but this has been done, five times? But I'm downloading in celebration on reinstalling DOOM.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

XutaWoo wrote:No offence, but this has been done, five times? But I'm downloading in celebration on reinstalling DOOM.
Sigh... I should have thought as much. But hey, the urge struck and I went with it. And it isn't necessarily done. I wouldn't mind making a new weapon or two. If I could grab the sprites for a rifle somewhere, that would make the job much easier. At the very least, there's more tweaking to be done.

The last mod I looked at that had reloading was Hideous Destructor. It didn't have animations, and I saw that as one of the complaints about it. So I guess I was inspired to take the next step.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

I've seen the Shotgun, the Pistol, the Chaingun, and the Rocket Launcher's reloading animation before. The Plasma Rifle looks the same as the Shotgun. The SSG is the same as last time and the BFG 9000 just lights up.
Also, the gameplay is ruined becuase of the monsters' fast projectiles, especially the Cyberdemon.
Zok

Post by Zok »

the descriptions of the monsters reminds me the mod for im make some levels, the mod its called darkmoon (yeah i know its a common name for a mod) the mod have the weapons of doom3 made by chaoscentral (i think he has a copy of the mod darkmoon) and the monsters have some advantage with their attacks and movility, but its for balanced the weapons powers. but they dont be very dangerous like this :lol: .
Last edited by Zok on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:I've seen the Shotgun, the Pistol, the Chaingun, and the Rocket Launcher's reloading animation before. The Plasma Rifle looks the same as the Shotgun. The SSG is the same as last time and the BFG 9000 just lights up.
Also, the gameplay is ruined becuase of the monsters' fast projectiles, especially the Cyberdemon.
I found the Cyberdemon exhilarating. I guess I've been playing this game too much...

I basically just used what sprites are available to work out the basic system. I'm aware that its not as animated as it could be. As such, I plan to work out some more sprites. The first thing I'll do, since it will probably be easiest, is the shotgun. I mean, I AM aware that what I did doesn't look right. Nobody holds a shotgun by the pump while they reload it. It should be held to the right by the grip. This requires reversing the sprite and editing out the hand. Should be a fun first step to actually making something out of this.

I'll take this time to note that I, in fact, don't plan on making some huge derivative game out of this, and I don't expect anyone to feel that what I'm doing is incredible. I really am intent in just updating Doom in a manner I see fit. I'd like to give people a reason to re-visit the original game, though perhaps in a somewhat more hybrid modern manner.

Sound good?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

@XW: HD, ZDA, at least two of WW's mods, possibly Twilight Warrior (my own inspiration),... I'd say more than five.

@Darlos: Heh, you have no idea how much this resembles the earlier, unreleased versions of Hideous Destructor from back before we had custom player classes... :lol: Not a criticism, of course, given how differently this plays from HD.

At least the way I play, though, both mods slow me down considerably since I have to secure every area before I advance instead of rushing in and relying on my l337 m4tr1x sk1lz to avoid damage as I hit the switch/grab the key/etc. while the baddies eventually thin out from infighting. Which, of course, is suicide when the baddies can shoot you up faster than you can move.

As for the difficulty issue... yeah, this makes HD look like vanilla Doom. o_o; Out of curiosity, how far can you actually get with this, let's say on HMP?

One bug I've noticed: If I warp in the command line or restart after dying, I start the map with the normal Doom pistol instead of the modified one. I'm suspecting this is because I'm defaulting to the Doomplayer class... is it really necessary to keep it?

Looking forward to the sprite edits.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

My problem with wads like this is that they almost always throw the balance out of the window by making the already annoying shotgunners much more dangerous.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Vaecrius wrote:At least the way I play, though, both mods slow me down considerably since I have to secure every area before I advance instead of rushing in and relying on my l337 m4tr1x sk1lz to avoid damage as I hit the switch/grab the key/etc. while the baddies eventually thin out from infighting. Which, of course, is suicide when the baddies can shoot you up faster than you can move.

As for the difficulty issue... yeah, this makes HD look like vanilla Doom. o_o; Out of curiosity, how far can you actually get with this, let's say on HMP?
Well, I tend to come at Doom modding thinking about the fact that if I run through original Doom, I can go through it without hardly taking a scratch because everything is so damn easy to avoid. Perhaps the game's original setup was effective back in the day. But now that everyone uses the efficient WASD/mouse system and pretty much has autorun turned on always, the game can just be stormed through in two seconds by a player that knows the game. The cyberdemon is a piece of cake, for instance, because you'd have to have the reflexes of a slug to not avoid his rockets.

Not sure what you mean by "HMP" though. I've been progressing fairly steadily through original Doom. Doom 2 seems a bit harder, though.

Now, it isn't just all a raw difficulty increase. There are balances. For instance, the shotgun zombies can't just keep plugging you, because they have a huge wait time after a shot... or at least they SHOULD. Maybe I need to fix that, because now that I think about it it doesn't seem that long. Chaingun guys also have to rev up before they can fire at you, in which time you can take them out pretty effectively. Plus, as I mentioned, health items are doubled. The issue here is just surviving individual fights, as opposed to surviving over the long term.
Vaecrius wrote:One bug I've noticed: If I warp in the command line or restart after dying, I start the map with the normal Doom pistol instead of the modified one. I'm suspecting this is because I'm defaulting to the Doomplayer class... is it really necessary to keep it?
Hm... I didn't have this problem. Not sure whats causing it. In the player setup menu, are you sure you don't have class select set to "random"? Make sure its "Marine". I had that problem, but its not a bug in my wad.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Darlos wrote:Not sure what you mean by "HMP" though. I've been progressing fairly steadily through original Doom. Doom 2 seems a bit harder, though.
1. ITYTD: I'm too young to die
2. HNTR: Hey, not too rough
3. HMP: Hurt me plenty
4. UV: Ultra-violence
5. NM: Nightmare

If anything, early Doom2 levels seem easier (than early Doom levels) because you can just use the deadly combination of chainsaw + corner to let the weak monsters get killed without inflicting you too much damage.

Oh yeah, try playing a recent mod with that.
The NUtcracker

Post by The NUtcracker »

Dammit, now I have to rename my project AGAIN. :(
eliw00d

Post by eliw00d »

this reminds me of when i first started working on zdoomadv!
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

eliw00d wrote:this reminds me of when i first started working on zdoomadv!
!!!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I always had a soft spot for these kind of mods because it's fun to see how others update the classic Doom weapons. Having said that, this could use a little work. The basic idea is good, but it needs better animations and graphics. Right now, the current animations and reloading effects seem like place holders and aren't very convincing.

I know you're just one guy, but try searching around the Doom Armory Forums for resources. I've released a few enhanced versions of the classic weapons. I also have available a bunch of resources from various projects of mine, both complete and incomplete. If you're interested, send me a PM.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Alright guys, I'm getting serious now.

I posted an update and changed the first post a bit. Everything else is the same as before (as I haven't worked on everything) except the pistol and shotgun, which I got done working on. I edited up some new animations and some pretty realistic functionality. Like, when you empty the magazine on the pistol and reload it, the marine pulls the slide to load the next round into the chamber. Likewise with the shotgun: he doesn't cock it after emptying the magazine, and then cocks it after reloading from an empty magazine.

So, I think my next victim will be the plasma rifle. I think I'll try to extend the sprite so the marine actually holds it up where you can see the magazine. That'll be cool. Editing the sprites is a tidbit time-consuming, but its fun.

As for now, I'm taking a shower.

Return to “Levels”