Disjunction - RELEASED ( also on /idgames )

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
floatRand

Disjunction - RELEASED ( also on /idgames )

Post by floatRand »

Tidings.
During this summer I got suckered into working on Dump 3, which led into me getting really into mapping.
It so happened that during this free time I had, I produced a number of maps, which I intent now to smash into a small 11 map set.
All maps in the set! 11 maps ahoy!

/idgames
Mirror

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Of course, since it is work in progress, I want to hear critique on it.
What is your favourite map so far, and what is least? How could that worst map be improved, or should I drop it like an ugly baby and work a replacement?

As for the name, the theming is bit here and there, so it might be this disjointedness where it gets its name.
Maps 2, 5 and 7 were in Dump 3, so you might be familiar with them already.
Last edited by floatRand on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
leodoom85

Re: Disjunction, small mapset project - beta build 1b

Post by leodoom85 »

Hello, Floatrand. I'll play this mapset because your maps are great. And let me guess...map 8 is Electron, right? :)
floatRand

Post by floatRand »

Yup. 02 is Lambda ( toned down a bit ) and 5th is Felt.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

floatRand wrote:Yup. 02 is Lambda ( toned down a bit ) and 5th is Felt.
I knew it :D
CruX

Post by CruX »

Been having a lot of fun with this one, just got through with the third map. All in all, I really dig the design and layouts I'm seeing so far, much of it has the complexity of a Mekadon SP map, but on a smaller, more linear scale. You have a pretty original way of utilizing certain enemies, like keeping arch-viles in elevated/isolated areas so the immolation is the only thing available to them (but it's much harder to avoid), and I also like the liberal use of arachnotrons, which are my favorite enemy that I almost never see enough of in most other maps.

While I don't feel like I've played enough of this to aptly criticize, there are a few things that felt overt enough to mention. I like the texturing for the most part, it's all pretty well done and I could only spot a few misalignments, but the specific use of textures in Neural Nest made things a bit confusing. There's a texture that's used for a few doors that doesn't really look like a door and it's also used for a few walls so the overlap makes it sorta tough to tell what is and isn't meant to be interacted with. That being said, I still (weirdly) managed to find all four of the map's secrets, but this only adds to the confusion because at least one of those areas didn't really feel "secret" at all, whereas there were a few non-secret areas that were way less conventionally accessed with way more of a reward for finding them. Really, if I had to choose a least favorite out of the first three maps, it'd probably be this one. It's still enjoyable in a way, but it doesn't flow as well as the two before it, and overall there's way way too much brown without the variation in textures needed to keep it interesting looking. It's also way more claustrophobic feeling, but I'm pretty sure that was what you were going for.

Thus far Lamba is hands down my favorite. I love maps that blend high tech and outdoors, and the use of a solid black texture for the sky gave it this surreal feeling that really set it apart both from the other maps in this set, and tech-base maps in general.

About the only part of Disjunction I'd say that I haven't enjoyed so far is the music selection, which has been pretty hit and miss but more "miss" than "hit". The track for the first map has been the only one that I've liked enough to listen to. The third was passable, but the track for Lamba was bad. Like, bad enough to make me turn the music off and consider not turning it back on for any of the following maps. I'm okay with juxtaposition to an extent, but it just didn't fit at all. The map has this dark, otherwordly theme but the music is really upbeat and kinda goofy sounding. What I heard of the track for the fourth map sounds good (not to mention appropriate) and I saw something about a metroid track being used for another map so I'll probably look at the music choices a bit more favorably in the end, but even if I don't it says a lot that that was what I found the most fault with.

I'll probably offer a bit more of my thoughts once I'm done with it (or close to it), but I wanted to put something out there in the meantime since it seemed like this was flying under the radar. Hope some more folks will give this a play, because it's totally worth it.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

From what I've played so far; it's impressive.
floatRand

Post by floatRand »

Thanks for trying it out.

CruX, sorry to hear that you didn't like map02 track - although I must admit, I think it is pretty weak choice. Might replace it for RC ( whuch might be inbound this week / next week )
floatRand

Re: Disjunction - RELEASED ( also on /idgames )

Post by floatRand »

Oh jeez, forgot about this thread.

The thing got released. Hopefully it functions well enough, now.
DavidN

Re: Disjunction - RELEASED ( also on /idgames )

Post by DavidN »

I definitely recognize your style from Dump3 :) I'm surprised that you weren't already really into mapping, given the high detail work of your maps!

Return to “Levels”