Haunted Base [complete]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DavidRaven

Haunted Base [complete]

Post by DavidRaven »

Hello everyone! This is the first wad (ok, pk3 xD) I publicly release.
It's a big single player map with a few custom monsters (can probably be played in co-op but I've not tested it). While being a dark (you get a flashlight and some flares xD) and claustrophobic map, I've tried to combine that with some decent fight zones.
It's meant to be played on GZDoom 3.3.0 version, will probably work with zandronum too.
It's not a definitive version, so feedback is appreciated!

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zinou5ylkgpnd ... e.zip?dl=0

Now for the screenshots
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by DavidRaven on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am, edited 8 times in total.
Korell

Re: Haunted Base - rc1

Post by Korell »

DavidRaven wrote: It meant to be played on GZDoom's latest version (3.2.1).
GZDoom's latest version is 3.3.0 (released on March 25th) and it is the fifth release version since 3.2.1 (3.2.2, 3.2.3, 3.2.4, 3.2.5 and now 3.3.0).
DavidRaven

Post by DavidRaven »

Korell wrote:
DavidRaven wrote: It meant to be played on GZDoom's latest version (3.2.1).
GZDoom's latest version is 3.3.0 (released on March 25th) and it is the fifth release version since 3.2.1 (3.2.2, 3.2.3, 3.2.4, 3.2.5 and now 3.3.0).
Whoops, my bad, I thought I had updated the version on my pc, but I hadn't. Anyway I updated GZDoom and tested the map with the newer version, I'll upload the first post. Thanks!
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

The atmosphere is nice. Custom monsters fit their location pretty well, especially head spiders, but I do miss original zombies.
I think the flare could be brighter and have larger light radius, as currently I only find it useful in completely dark area (the air duct maze). In low-light areas they're kinda useless. Also the sentry gun sometimes doesn't fire at enemies even if they're already close enough.
BTW, I thought the deployable shield could block the flame attack from the final boss, but I got my butt kicked. :P
Last edited by NovaRain on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Everything below is just my opinion. Please do not take it too seriously.

The map will be much better if you will drop Doom 3 style horror crap and stick with a classic gameplay.
Fighting in a pitch darkness for over half of the level isn't quite entertaining. At least, flashlight and flares have a very low lighting radius.
Combination of both gameplay styles could work. But it doesn't, there are too many monsters for a horror one and freaking darkness for a classic style.
Unfortunately, this map is an example of a good level design with a poor gameplay.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well i'm playing thru this right now and i'm liking it so far. Gameplay is pretty good IMO, only a bit hard. And also this thing runs slow on my computer, runs with ZDoom LE BTW. It works with ZDoom32 too but mirrors are broken, that's not surprising since there was some portal refactoring and the GL renderer is older so i guess i'd need to look into it.

Edit: the filename is wrong, should be hauntedbase.pk3 instead of haunetdbase.pk3.
Edit2: i've finished it. Certainly sometimes you can die surrounded my monsters in the dark and also spiders are annoying and hard to see. Too many of those narrow corridors and the area with the nukage pit where you drown in the dark is one of those WTF moments but i can live or better said die with it. Overall i liked it anyway.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Had pretty fun moments while playtesting this creepy map and .pk3 conversion, will give another shot and come up with moar feedbacks later for sure :D
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Okay here you are some suggestions and a fancy imgur album which may be of use to improve certain aspects of this creepy thing:

1) Portable medikit or bandages: Some areas may use them, as an inventory item so players may decide where to use them or not
2) Brightmaps: Enemies such spiders, imps and so on may really need them and this would turn things better on dark areas
3) Headlight: Since there are several situations where you must shoot rapidly after lower the searchlight, I think a fixed headlight like this should come in hand and pretty for players

Now notable playtesting imgur album, yet didn't finished: https://imgur.com/a/6bapmPm

That's all for now :mrgreen:

PS: Oh btw tested with GZDoom 3.4 pre-253 64bit
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I really enjoyed this map and wish more horror style maps existed. Maybe a sequel after this one is polished? The only things I didn't like so much are the same as what others have said with the flashlight and flares.

1) In dark areas, it's a pain to switch from the flashlight to gun and then not be able to see what you are shooting at. I just used the flashlight mod instead of the one given here.
2) The flares are a really cool idea but like others have said maybe increase the radius to give a little more light. In that one part in the long hallways with holding cells that goes dark, I was popping flares like crazy using them all up because I still couldn't see much with them. I used a brightmap mod so I could see glowing eyes so maybe that's something you can throw in as well.

Other than that it was very cool and fun.
Last edited by Rex705 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Finally finished the map, love how it ends ehehe :cool:
Okay another small imgur album here, I'll come then with improvements and tweaks if possible. Good work!
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I made a video for this map :)

Last edited by Rex705 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DavidRaven

Post by DavidRaven »

First of all, thanks everyone for your feedback :)
Forgive me if I answers this late, I'm having some issues IRL at the moment, so I don't have much time

@NovaRain: you're absolutely right, I'll increase the flares light area, I'll also check if I can make them throwable :) I'll also check if I can make the shield block the boss's attack

@_mental_: well, I have to partially agree with you. I'll edit the dark part to make it more enjoyable

@drfrag: thanks, I'll fix the filename! also (ad said before) I'll add some light xD

@Ozymandias81: thanks a lot for your album, I'm fixing those issues :) I've added portable medikits too, still thinking about brightmaps and head-mounted flashlight

@Rex705: yeah, I'll buff the flares xD I've seen your video, nice! :)

EDIT: I've added some of those edit, like more ambient light, better (and throwable) flares and portable medikits, the download link is in the first post
Ozymandias81

Re: Haunted Base - rc1.1

Post by Ozymandias81 »

You're welcome man, this wad deserves more attention from the community :)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I must say the the current version is much much better than previous one. Good job!
Completed it on skill 1. Before I was giving up on jail part after power cube pickup.

Now, some nitpicking.

I expected epic arena style battle at the end but I was really disappointed.
IMHO it will be great to have a few waves of teleporting monsters there.

Please remove Doom Builder configuration and especially backup files to reduce .pk3 size.
Also, there is MAP01.wad in the root of .pk3 and the same file in maps directory.

Music is barely audible even with maximum volume. Is this intentional?

Two Unknown texture: "F_SKY" warnings can be avoided by removing sky1 definition from MAPINFO lump.

Looks like monitor size needs to be reduced
Screenshot_Doom_20180609_143925.jpg
Ammo box cannot be picked up
Screenshot_Doom_20180609_144033.jpg
Z-fighting around the bridge the end of the map
Screenshot_Doom_20180609_144105.jpg
Outside of the mentioned minor issues I really enjoyed playing this map.
DavidRaven

Post by DavidRaven »

@Ozymandias81: thanks again! :)

@_mental_: thanks! I'm glad you like it now :)

Thanks for reporting the .pk3, MAPINFO and aesthetic issues, I've fixed them (download file updated in the first post) :)
The music was intended not to be too loud, but I may have exaggereted it. I've amplified it a bit, hope it'll be better.
About the anticlimatic boss you have a point: I had ran out of inspiration at that point, I'll see if I can improve that part (probably with some waves of monsters and changing architecture, I could even redesign that room completely)

A few more screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by DavidRaven on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Levels”