Doomed in SPACE: Bugfix March 18, Come get it!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomkid

Re: DOOMED IN SPACE (Revived!)

Post by Doomkid »

You gave me a great lol just then grouchbag! I've had plenty of those times where I'm shooting at some animated object thinking it's an enemy and I don't realize til a minute later that it's just a decoration.. So don't worry, you're not alone having done that :P
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

:D That's good to know.Just had to share the humor.The levels really are great.Thanks!
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Here's a less hellish environment, now it's a demonified zone instead, almost like E2 of Ultimate Doom.

Map name : Non-scientifically accurate Jupiter
Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?kfx2brst0brubyv
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Thanks for the new submission Joe. @Mr.Enchanter, just let me know when your map is ready. I'll compile a fresh beta soon. Fred512 is also improving his map, so there should be a bit of visible progress come next build!
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Alrighty people, just a quick update: Please have any final tweaks/edits/blah submitted by June 30th!

This project has undergone some major improvements over the last few months and I'd really like to have everything finalized and out the door well before Christmas. Send me whatever you've got before 30/6/17 so we can put the bow on this lovely package.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Doomkid

Re: DOOMED IN SPACE (Now with Trailer!)

Post by Doomkid »

Just made a trailer. Not long now til this is complete! Any submissions/edits mappers want to make, now is the time!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played through the first three levels. Whilst I love the theme of it, I found it way too hard even though I was only playing on the "Not Too Rough" difficulty. On map 2 I was struggling for ammo and facing those three Brain Orbs in that narrow corridor with elevators either side and a gap along the floor so that you take damage from a lot of enemies on the room outside, was way too punishing for such an early encounter. I think there needs to be some rebalancing of some kind. I think map 3 has a bug, too. After going through the yellow key door you have that section with the elevators to get you up the mountain. The first elevator worked, but the second one just would not activate and I had to noclip past it instead. I'll get around to playing some more levels soon.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. The difficulty definitely still needs a rebalance and there are still some bugs to iron out as well. If you do play more I'd be interested to hear your feedback!
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

--------
Last edited by Doomkid on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Re: Doomed in Space: NEW Beta Aug '17, Please Download & rev

Post by Korell »

Well, just tried the new version and played through the first five maps. Here's my feedback:

The bug I mentioned on map 3 is fixed, the elevators all work now. That narrow raised corridor in map 2 is better now due to being able to pick off a lot of the enemies before going into that area, but it still killed me a few times and I had to resurrect, and still playing on Not Too Rough. This seems to be the main issue for me, though. I'm no Doom FPS master, but I don't expect to die so much on Not Too Rough and from map 2 onwards I was having to resurrect quite a lot, save for map 5 which was a nice change in pace. It seems like the damage that the enemies cause is scaled too high. The new Mancubus, for example, those blue fireballs cause so much damage on even just a single hit. There were times in one map where I resurrected in front of one that had just killed me and I was then instantly dead as soon as I closed the console. Also, I'm not a fan of the black imp like monsters with those very fast fireball projectiles that have some limited tracking. Very fast or tracking, but not both. Is there a skill definition within the WAD file that causes the high damage or is it something about the projectiles in the dehacked code? I do like the intermission text inbetween each map. It certainly helps to give a plot to the game and you gain some insight into who you are. I did spot a mistake though. At the end of map 2 the text has the word "aught" instead of "ought" (both are words but they have different meanings). Lastly, the mod looks better since the previous version, too, so I'm guessing there have been some additions or changes in appearance slightly, and did you change the palette slightly?
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Thanks so much for the comments, it helps a lot. The damages are indeed altered in dehacked, I'll have to scale back the Manc in particular. I appreciate you addressing various things, I'll improve that spot in Map02 and the overall difficulty in general. Also good eye spotting that 'aught'! Hopefully that was my only grammar goof.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Is my map rejected? What can I do make it worthy? I've got absolutely no feedback about it.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Doomkid wrote:The damages are indeed altered in dehacked, I'll have to scale back the Manc in particular.
I like the style of the new Mancubus. The blue fireballs look great, and with so many of them being fired it gives a kind of bullet hell moment when facing them, but fighting them only really works at distance because of this, and because of how much damage the fireballs do. Maybe their placement in maps needs tweaking to cut down the times when they show up right next to you?
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

I think that's a good idea - I'll reconsider their placement throughout the maps!

@Joe - There wasn't anything wrong with your map so to speak, it just doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the wad. The layout and texturing would be completely out of place in the campaign. I notice a lot of marble demon face textures and a general smattering of hell theme textures which doesn't create the right vibe at all. To be clear, I think it's a fun map and it's not at all bad, it's strictly about it feeling so mismatched.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Doomkid wrote:I think that's a good idea - I'll reconsider their placement throughout the maps!

@Joe - There wasn't anything wrong with your map so to speak, it just doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the wad. The layout and texturing would be completely out of place in the campaign. I notice a lot of marble demon face textures and a general smattering of hell theme textures which doesn't create the right vibe at all. To be clear, I think it's a fun map and it's not at all bad, it's strictly about it feeling so mismatched.
Ah, OK, I was just confused by the way that this mod has demons in it (recolouring them didn't help me understand until now).

So I've replaced all the demonic detail with UAC accessories (the flag poles are now made of silver and have the UAC logo on them for example) and adjusted some of the ammo and some of the health to the new modified monster replacements.

Link : https://doomshack.org/uploads/jupiter.wad
New name : Jupiter 28q

Return to “Levels”