Help needed plz

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Anonymous

Help needed plz

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all, I downloaded ZDoom 1.22 which is cool 8-) but whats with the 2.0 version and this cab file stuff? ...mainly how do I update to that? Thanks

Plus why cant ZDoom run in its own directory?
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars/52.cab is the newest. 1.22 is quite old now :P

and zdoom can run in it's own folder, if there's an iwad, zdoom.wad, and fmod.dll in it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zdoom 1.22 is very old

The 2.0 version is the currently updated version. It is up to 2.0.52 which you can find in 52.cab

A cab file is an alternative to a zip file which can be opened with winzip, and even most recent versions of windows should have built in support for opening them.

Zdoom can run in it's own directory. 2.0.52 needs zdoom.exe, fmod.dll and zdoom.wad (all of which come in the cab file) and a supported IWAD (eg doom2.wad). Stick them all in the same dirctory and it will work just fine. If you don't want to put your iwad in the zdoom directory, you can specify it's location on the command line or add the path to search for the iwad(s) to your ini. You can also put all the supported iwads in the same directory and have zdoom prompt you for which one you want to use when you start zdoom.

Edit: SargeBaldy beat me to it. :roll:

Edit2: Gah! he beat me to telling him he beat me too. :lol:
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

ha!! beat you :P basically the same info too.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

zdoom can run in it's own folder, if there's an iwad
To be proper, ZDoom doesn't need an iwad in the same folder. It just need to be pointed to them in the ini file(I have ZDoom in \ZDoom, and the other games in their respective folders, and it all works fine).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I put my Doom iwad in the ZDoom dir and it worked great, tyall

Do I now extract the 52.cab to my ZDoom folder for the newest version ?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

yup
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I got it all going great, thanks :)
Does anyone have any links to some cool wads specifically for the latest version(s) of ZDoom?
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hey, thanks! :)

I've actually just uploaded a slight revision to that file based on comments people have given me, and a few things I spotted. I guess it will make it into the archive in a day or so. It's not a big change, so if you're on a slow modem or something, it's maybe not worth a re-download. Here's the changes:

• Raised a sector ceiling to allow a clear shot from tower 1 into a sniper room.
  • Added NJKP010 texture and put it on a secret wall.
  • Moved soul, mega and invulnerability spheres.
  • Made a new secret for the berserk that used to be near the invulnerability.
  • Renamed the Grenade pickup to NJGrenade to allow the mod to be played with skulltag.
  • Added a few more strategically placed poison mushrooms.
  • Added a "backup generator" to the cave to increase lighting levels
    (if you find the switch).
  • Tweaked Ammo to add a little more to the hard setting.
  • Slightly modified death animations for 2 enemies based on the Alpha sprites.
  • Made corrections and included stuff I had missed out of the text file.

Ahhhh fekkit... I think I forgot to put the script in the WAD again. If anybody really wants to look at my shoddy scripting, give me a shout and I'll put it up somewhere or send it to you.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yep I agree, ....great level Enjay, I just played Void too, cool :)
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Seriously Enjay, that level is class. It was such a refresher from playing against doom monsters with doom weapons. Cyb's map too.

I seriously hope more people take advantage of all the heretic and hexen things for their wads. It just takes a bit of imagination and a spanner hit or 2 :)

Return to “General”