What are some good level themes?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby cccp_leha » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:52 pm

Liam wrote: I'd like to see a megawad start out with a simple, sterile UAC research base that goes on for a few levels (warehouses, bunkers, labs, etc.), with nothing but former humans as enemies. Then the player locates and enters a sort of portal, and the rest of the wad is full of bizarre, hellish architecture full of demons, with corpses strewn everywhere (sounds a lot like Quake, I know).

[self promo] Wait till ORAD comes out [/self promo] :D
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:04 pm

Liam wrote:It's hard to find Doom maps that stick with a single theme - most are really disjointed, and it's hard for the player to tell when, if ever, he or she left the base/city/starport and ended up in another dimension. Some start out looking like invaded UAC military facilities, except that all of the buttons look like skulls (who would build a military base with skulls and demon heads all over the place?).
I'd like to see a megawad start out with a simple, sterile UAC research base that goes on for a few levels (warehouses, bunkers, labs, etc.), with nothing but former humans as enemies. Then the player locates and enters a sort of portal, and the rest of the wad is full of bizarre, hellish architecture full of demons, with corpses strewn everywhere (sounds a lot like Quake, I know).

[self promo] Have you ever tried Fragport? Each map has a strong theme and the maps and themes all follow on from each other nicely - so much in fact that the player goes on a realistic journey throughout the megawad. [/self promo]
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby HotWax » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:08 pm

Link is broken.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:03 pm

Looks like in-span is playing up again. Try thismirror instead.
The Ultimate DooMer

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:49 am

[self promo] ROTGS was a great level I played a while ago, forgot who it was by but it rocked. It also had a strong theme to it that it stuck to :-D[/self promo]

Also, AWP by Richo Rossi was great, that had a strong theme and made GREAT use of zdooms ACS stuff and all that other stuff :-).

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Curunir » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:27 am

Oh, it might me just plain ol' me, but these other levels for Doom 1, UAC Mine, iirc, by.. err, the same guy who made ROTGS, roxored my bum a lot more! :wink:
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:22 pm

I do quite like those levels (UACmine)... gotta email the author sometime, I'm sure he's quite pleased to hear that you enjoyed them.

I must say though that I checked out fragport and I was put off by the monster placement. Why couldn't you have left the revenents, archvilles, and everything else that is stronger than a caco untill far into it? I mean, there are like 29 more levels to go! It was just a bit unpaced I think. Maybe if you revised it (which is a bit pointless now) it would have been more interesting. I did like the seemlessness of the levels, I did that.. URM, that guy did that in UACmine :-D.

I emailed that guy a while ago (lets call him THATGUY from now on :-D) and he said he originally intended for UACmine to be a full doom1 episode (see, me and him are close friends :-D... but I can't remember his name for the life of me...) and he even said that he considered dehacking all of the monsters and making it into a PC with completely new monsters. Then he considered making it into a legacy mod and implementing all those cool 3d floors and stuff, but I told him that it was just too much, afterall he hasn't released THAT many levels, so I said maybe he should just release it as an episode, then he got lazy (the lazy bastard) and soon lost interest in it. He's like that, but fortunately he stuck to ROTGS and it looks like he's sticking to ROTGS2... he seems to be quite sereouse about those, he's got big plans for the third one, but he hasn't got the talent to do all of the models himself... he can't even draw very well! But he is a good musician, I love his stuff :-).

Lexus Alyus

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:50 pm

Because I wanted it to be fast and hard right from the beginning, not easy for the first 10 maps and hard for the last 10 or something like that. That's one reason I like Plutonia so much - no easy maps, only hard ones.

(most of the time, easy=boring, hard=fun IMO)
The Ultimate DooMer

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:55 am

It's a general opinion thing that... the best way to make a good map is to give in to the masses requirements... it might help to start a poll on this forum to see what our Zdoom buddies would like in a map, so everyone can enjoy it :-). I'm gonna do that actually :-P

Lexus Alyus

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:47 am

There is a fair sized body of people who believe you should make a map to please yourself. Then if other people like it too, it's a bonus, but at least you will be happy with it.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:20 am

I know, but it might be interesting to map a map to a mojorities needs... to see what the resulkt may be :-).

Lexus Alyus

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:17 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:It's a general opinion thing that... the best way to make a good map is to give in to the masses requirements...

If I'd wanted to give in to the masses requirements then I would've made a handful of insanely detailed Vrack or P:AR style maps and achieved instant recognition, but I started making maps way before I even knew about the community (in fact I'd built my first wad - an 11 map episode - and was building the last map of Fragport before I hit on the idea of releasing it to the public) so I was making them purely for myself and so I made sure that new and innovative ideas and concepts were at the forefront of my maps together with unconventional and experimental themes/designs and fast, hard gameplay. (unlike the original DooM 1/2)

So as a result I regard myself as an unconventional mapper who likes to do things a bit differently, instead of knocking out formulaic unthemed maps with tons of detail (which has all been done thousands of times before). Of course I've been in the community a while now, and I do take the masses requirements into consideration when building maps now (and I'm certainly more up to scratch with the detail than I was when I started), but I always put my own requirements first, even when doing tribute maps (which have my own element of design in them, my 2 Phobos maps for example).

The result is that I'm not regarded as a big name mapper (despite making over 70 maps) and my wads are somewhat underrated (mainly through lack of hype and profile) but I guess that's the penalty for doing things my own way instead of everyone else's (and not being in a big name team doesn't help either). And I'll always do it like that, even though I want to be a big name.
The Ultimate DooMer

Postby Anonymous » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:36 am

I'd like to see an underground themed wad. With the ablitiy of making slopes, it shouldn't be that hard to have a realistic looking cave/mine shaft/ hell/ extinct volcano/... you get the idea, there are many options.
Anonymous

Postby Lexus Alyus » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:04 am

Yeah, I always map for myself... if I mapped for the masses ROTGS wouldn't exist :-D. But I'd like to try and do a pop map thing just for fun :-). When I've got the time I'm gonna set up a poll to see what people like and then I'll make such a map, just for fun :-).

This doesn't mean that every single map I make will be like that, just the odd one or two :-). ROTGS and it's sequels (when they are done) are all about me and what I like :-D.
Lexus Alyus

Previous

Return to General