What are some good level themes?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:04 am

Chronno Trigger's a good game... I'd like to see something that uses the ideas from CT (time travel, and areas based off of the time pereods of CT) but an exactreplica wouldn't be too good... Basically, keep the story and all that the same and the locations, but maybe change the charectors and make things a little differant. Something like that...

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Enjay » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:58 am

I've always had half a mind to do something kind of syndicate/syndicate wars - ish with Doom. I even got as far as looking out a few resources once, but I think (for me at least) it will be a non-starter. Not enough time, enthusiasm or commitment. :(
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:41 am

I'm sorry but it IS going to be an exact copy of what the game looks like (but from an first person perspective (duh!)) I don't have ChronoTrigger sprites, but if you have that (good or bad guys) send it to me and I will put it in there.
Anonymous

Postby Curunir » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:32 pm

My experience with total conversions and such is, to say the least, disappointing. I tried most of the TC stuff out there. 95% of it sucked. The other 5% was Chex Quest. :D (I heard of Chex Quest for the first time on this forum and I'm most ashamed for not knowing about it before) :oops:

When people make a TC, they start trowing random textures and crap in it. Sometiems they throw well-made textures and crap. But the level design awfully sucks either way. I tried crap TCs, I tried TCs that only got positive reviews. It all sucks bad.

Why can't people just sit down, relax, have a cigarette and make a nice, smooth E1 / Gothic / Techbase map and be done with it? TCs are bad for your eyes/health/lungs/libido (pick one)

How! I have spoken! :wink:
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Ultraviolet » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:01 pm

Ah, that must be why I've been so horny lately. Not enough Doom editing!
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Sphagne » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:30 pm

Hey, what's is a Chex Quest? :?:
Sphagne
Just me, nothing more

Postby HotWax » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:45 pm

Sphagne wrote:Hey, what's is a Chex Quest? :?:

Where've ya been? :)

Chex Quest was a free game that used the Doom engine. They stuck the disks in Chex cereal boxes and AFAIK the only way to get the game was to buy one such box of cereal. I never played it but apparently you're a Chex piece with arms and legs running around shooting at slimy alien creatures (Not that you actually kill anything. Chex Quest is a strictly non-violent mod...).

More info here
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:46 am

It's probably fair to point out that although Chex is often hailed as a "free game" it is Doom. By that I mean it has nothing changed about enemy or weapon behaviour. I think the only modification to the exe (via dehacked) was the level names. It does come with a completely replaced IWAD however (IIRC the shareware IWAD) and the effect is pretty total and has a consistent theme (Cutesy aliens versus breakfast cereal) but it is Doom.

That's not to say it is bad, it isn't. The style may not be to everyone's taste (nor for that matter may the cereal) but it is well and professionally done with well drawn graphics, suitable sounds and music throughout. There were follow ups. Not sure how "official" they were and I can't remember if they made any more significant changes to the way the game worked. At least one (Chex 3?) used a weapon from another mod.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:27 am

But isn't that breaching copy right laws? Cus it's doom, and technically it was being sold... unless they got permission...

I got 2 and 3 from the underdogs site (it's not an illigal warez page, honest... they even took strife off cus they fount a place where it was still being sold...). I'd like to combine all the resources from all 3 mods and make a huge Zdoom mod out of it... kids stuff is always fun :-D. I've spent a lot of time playing those neat 3D platform games on the PS2... cool things :-). Although someone is already re-making this into a Zdoom, so it would be pointless me jumping on the band wagon...

On a side note, i'd always love to take the DMF resources and make a full Zdoom single player TC out of that... and then maybe the hellraiser resources (as the levels completely sucked!) but I'd probobly need permission, but I think I could do the resources justice :-).

Lexus Alyus

Postby bimshwel » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:43 am

I'm surprised no one complained about being deprived several pieces of chex because of a CD in the box. Also: I've been eating Chex Mix for years (except in 2000 when they changed the pretzels to look like the number 2000 and they scared me) and never once found a computer game in it. I wonder if I've been eating it by mistake. I always thought General Mills had altered the recipe at some point, but why mess with success? (as the kids say) This new theory makes far more sense.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby boris » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:30 pm

boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am

Mmmm, your map generator likes computors...

Code: Select allExpand view
Build a huge deteriorated bright missile silo map.
The player has to kill a few Shotgun guys,
destroy a lot big computer,
destroy some big computer,
destroy three big computer,
find a big computer,
find a soulsphere which is hidden behind three lost UAC machine,
destroy some crates,
kill two Barons of Hell and
find switch that opens a door

Now it's obsessed with crates :-D

Code: Select allExpand view
Build a small twisted hellish canyon map.
The player has to destroy two crates,
find a soulsphere,
destroy three lost UAC machine,
kill three Spidermasterminds,
destroy a few crates,
kill three Commandos,
destroy ridiculous numbers of crates,
kill some Icon of Sin which guard switch that opens a door,
kill a lot Spidermasterminds which guard a soulsphere and
destroy two crates

I'm really tempted to try and do all of these word for word! :-D, be an interesting challenge :-). All though I'm disapointed that you can't have 999 quests... or 666 :-D.

Lexus Alyus

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:02 am

And it hasn't asked you to find a spaceport hidden behind 3 crates yet...
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Anonymous » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:33 pm

The idea generator is good, if you like combining an abandoned demon castle with a spaceport hidden behind a soul sphere. LOL.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:50 pm

It's hard to find Doom maps that stick with a single theme - most are really disjointed, and it's hard for the player to tell when, if ever, he or she left the base/city/starport and ended up in another dimension. Some start out looking like invaded UAC military facilities, except that all of the buttons look like skulls (who would build a military base with skulls and demon heads all over the place?).
I'd like to see a megawad start out with a simple, sterile UAC research base that goes on for a few levels (warehouses, bunkers, labs, etc.), with nothing but former humans as enemies. Then the player locates and enters a sort of portal, and the rest of the wad is full of bizarre, hellish architecture full of demons, with corpses strewn everywhere (sounds a lot like Quake, I know).
Anonymous

PreviousNext

Return to General